Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8018356.stm

Mexico flu 'a potential pandemic'
    A new flu virus suspected of killing up to 60 people in Mexico has the potential to become a pandemic, the World Health Organization's chief says.

Margaret Chan said the outbreak was a "serious situation" which needed to be followed closely.

Ms Chan cut short a visit to the US and returned to Geneva for urgent talks.

Health experts say tests so far seem to link the illnesses in Mexico with a new swine flu virus that sickened eight people in the southern US.

The WHO's new emergency committee is now meeting - though health officials say it may be premature to advise against travel to Mexico.

HAVE YOUR SAY I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from 'under control' Yeny Gregorio Davila, Mexico City

The committee will be discussing whether to declare a public health emergency, and whether to raise the global pandemic alert level.

The WHO says it does not know the full risk yet.

It is advising all member states to be vigilant for seasonally unusual flu or pneumonia-like symptoms among their populations - particularly among young healthy adults, who seem to be the most affected in Mexico.

Officials said most of those killed so far were young adults - rather than more vulnerable children and the elderly.

Precautions

Schools, museums and libraries have been closed across the capital region and people are being urged to avoid shaking hands or sharing crockery.

All public events have been suspended, an official said. Two previously sold-out soccer matches were played in empty stadiums to avoid potentially spreading the virus.

And in the US, the White House said it was watching the situation.

Dr Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said that preliminary tests on seven out of 14 samples from patients in Mexico had matched the virus found in the US.

Eight people have fallen sick in the US - six in California and two in Texas - with a virus the WHO say was the same as the new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1.

All eight have recovered and only one was hospitalised.

SWINE FLU

Swine flu is a respiratory disease found in pigs
    Human cases usually occur in those who have contact with pigs
    Human-to-human transmission is rare and such cases are closely monitored

The CDC said it planned to send experts to Mexico to help investigate the virus which has infected more than 1,000 people in the country.

Ms Chan confirmed the virus was an animal strain - a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses.

Swine flu is a respiratory disease which infects pigs. It does not normally infect humans, although sporadic cases do occur usually in people who have had close contact with pigs.

Are you in Mexico? Do you know someone who has been affected by the outbreak? Tell us your experiences by filling in the form below.

A selection of your comments may be published, displaying your name and location unless you state otherwise in the box below.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The two in TX are in Schertz, a N/E suburb of SA.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/health/S...onio_area.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    crazy thing is last nite I dreamt everyone was wearing masks. and I had no idea about this till this morning

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6% mortality rate, that's pretty scary. I hope it's not resistant to Tamiflu.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    They said the same thing about the Asian Bird Flu...

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    t ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IMMINENT @!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The citizens of Cedar Creek already have the E-1101 serum!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I wish I could help but I am the last bag, and besides I'm really not that big of a Spurs fan right now. Maybe after the playoffs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I want Col. Sam Daniels arrested immediately!

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Normally i wouldn't care but mexico is right over the boarder and those ers sneak in here on a daily basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally i wouldn't care but mexico is right over the boarder and those ers sneak in here on a daily basis.
    I live in Converse just south of Schertz!! I wrapped a sock around my face though.

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finally, God deals with the cartels in his own biblical way................

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26...flu/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worldwide, Nations Rush to Keep Swine Flu Contained

HONG KONG — Officials around the world on Sunday raced to contain an outbreak of swine flu as potential new cases were reported from New Zealand to Hong Kong to Spain, raising concerns about the potential for a global pandemic.

Governments issued travel advisories urging people not to travel to Mexico, the apparent origin of the outbreak, where 81 people have died and some 1,300 have been infected.

China, Russia and others set up quarantines for anyone possibly infected. Some countries banned pork imports from Mexico, even though there is no link between food products and the flu, and others were screening air travelers for signs of the disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/world/27flu.html?hp

============

I wonder how many US spring breakers brought it back from MX?

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Run for your lives!

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    every single republican voter and/or legislator who worked to block Kathleen Sebelius's nomination, because now, over ing abortion paranoia, our nation is without a Health and Human Services Sec. during a full blown public health emergency.
    Last edited by balli; 04-26-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As usual, it will probably mostly sicken and kill the newborns and old people, whose immune systems are compromised or not fully functional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but croutons_deuce, its killing mostly healthy young adults.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    every single republican voter and/or legistlator who worked to block Kathleen Sebelius's nomination, because now, over ing abortion paranoia, our nation is without a Health and Human Services Sec. during a full blown public health emergency.

Oh no! We're all ed. What government official is going to take care of us now? Waaaaaaa.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh no! We're all ed. What government official is going to take care of us now? Waaaaaaa.

lololol!!

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    That's usually a dumbass argument reserved for economic matters, I guess the republican line on this is, "if your immune system's not strong enough, you then, shoulda been more self-reliant."

And I highly doubt that say democrats had hypothetically blocked an anti-abortion Mike Leavitt, that you clowns would decry his position as a useless tool of the dependant... had this happened on Bush's watch.

ing idiots.

Less than two weeks after raising the prospect of seceding from the union, Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling on the federal government to come to his state's aid in the midst of the swine flu outbreak.

The San Marcos Record reports:

Gov. Rick Perry today in a precautionary measure requested the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide 37,430 courses of antiviral medications from the Strategic National Stockpile to Texas to prevent the spread of swine flu. [...]

"As a precautionary measure, I have requested that medication be on hand in Texas to help curb the spread of swine flu by helping those with both confirmed and suspected cases of this swine flu virus, as well as healthcare providers who may have come in contact with these patients," said Gov. Rick Perry. "We will continue to work with our local, state and federal health officials to ensure public safety is protected."
    Last edited by balli; 04-26-2009 at 01:42 PM.

"Have to check the film" PixelPusher's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Pandemics are local issues! State's rights FTW!

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    double post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    every single republican voter and/or legislator who worked to block Kathleen Sebelius's nomination, because now, over ing abortion paranoia, our nation is without a Health and Human Services Sec. during a full blown public health emergency.

pwnt!

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is her nomination being held up again?

Can any board Republican explain that?

Thread Information