Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas Notebook: Clippers' Camby a hot commodity
    By Chris Tomasson
    Pro Basketball News

LAS VEGAS - Marcus Camby might not be getting any airtime from John Walsh, but he's still one of America's most wanted men.

The Los Angeles Clippers center recently met with Mike Dunleavy, the team's coach and general manager. He found out how much he's coveted around the NBA.

"A lot of teams have been calling. He was up front with me," said Camby, in Las Vegas to watch his team at the NBA Summer League. "A lot of teams are calling and asking for my services. ... A lot of contenders are looking for different pieces to add to their team, especially the way the economy is going and with the salary cap."

In fact, shortly before Camby spoke, one team executive pointed to Camby and said, "That's the guy we'd like."

Camby, 35, would be an ideal acquisition since he has one-year left on a contract with a salary-cap figure of $9.15 million, meaning he could help a team clear room for the coveted 2010 free-agent class. And, oh, did we mention that Camby, who averaged 10.3 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.13 blocks, can still play a bit?

But Camby, with the Clippers having recently somehow been able to move Zach Randolph's huge contract to Memphis, doesn't believe he will be dealt.

"I actually talked to Mike a few days ago, and he asked me about free agents," Camby said. "It looks like I'll still be there. ... I don't want to put words in his mouth, but he made it seem like I was still going to be around."

Camby, who was devastated at being traded last summer from Denver to the Clippers, said he would have no problem remaining in Los Angeles. But, if a trade to a contender were to surface, he wouldn't be too torn up about it.

"I definitely wouldn't mind," said Camby, who made it to the NBA Finals with New York in 1999 but hasn't been on the winning end in a playoff series since 2000. "But I also feel comfortable with the situation (in Los Angeles). Last year, we were hit by the injury bug and lost a lot of key players. But with Blake (Griffin, the NBA's top draft pick) coming in and Baron (Davis) coming back healthy and the talent we have, we should definitely be a whole lot better than we were last year."

One thing is for sure. If the Clippers do look to trade to deal Camby, there will be no shortage of suitors.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Camby has an expiring contract that will pay him $9.15 million in 2009-10, but ultimately doesn't believe that the Clippers will trade him.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...s_about_camby/
    Nice to finally see what he's going to earn. So many here thought it was around 7 million instead.

We'll definitely have to include Mason along with Finley and Bonner to make it work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll definitely have to include Mason along with Finley and Bonner to make it work.
    Nope.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=kjqhal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that's a line up!

Tony/Hill
    Mason/Manu/McClinton
    RJ/Hairston/Gist
    Tim/Blair/Haislip
    Camby/Dice

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I'd do that trade easily but I have to wonder if the Spurs would be willing to give up on Mahinmi this early.

It's only one SL game but I'm not sure we can depend on Gist or McClinton right now. Not crazy about Barnes. Would rather have Bowen back but would Pop play him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As third options at their respective positions, I don't see the harm. As for Bruce, He's gone sadly. The Spurs are heading in a new direction.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As third options at their respective positions, I don't see the harm. As for Bruce, He's gone sadly. The Spurs are heading in a new direction.
    It is sad that Bruce is gone. But would I bring him back? Probably not. I think the Spurs do need to go in a new direction as the rest of the league is. Even if Bruce is signed he will only play 15mins per game and with that second unit he wouldn't be too good because he wouldn't be surrounded by Duncan and Parker and Jefferson to make up for his lack of offense. I'm so happy we had Bruce for all those year, I thank him. He was fantastic but I'm sorry there does come a time where a professional relationship just needs to be laid to rest.

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would seriously put the Spurs over the top, FOR SURE.

And for Finley, Bonner, the young prospect Marcus Williams (trade idea belongs to Buddy Holly!), throw in a 1st round pick if necessary, and the Clips should JUMP at that offer, as they're going to lose Camby at year's end for nothing. Getting the young Williams AND a first round pick is really converting Camby into something. I also wouldn't hesitate to throw in Mason (though I'd hate to do it) if the Clips really wanted him, because it's not everyday you can land a big like Camby, on a already great team to boot.

Now's the not the time for the Spurs to back off their most successful summer in almost a decade. If they could wrangle Camby from the Clips BEFORE the February trade dead line, they would be set, and then some.

Heck, if the Clips wouldn't budge, I'd maybe even throw in two first round picks. Why? Because the Spurs now have plenty of solid to good young players mixed in with vets, so they won't exactly be needing those pics.

And of course, the Spurs only have 3 years or so in the Duncan window. The Spurs ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AFFORD TO WASTE A DUNCAN YEAR, as they well know.

Again, if Spurs can't get Camby, then they can't get him. But I have a feeling as those losses start to pile up, the Clips will be more and more inclined to move him for something, rather that lose him for nothing in Free Agency, as he surely will not return.

Both Boston and the Lakers are STACKED at the Center spot. That leaves only Cleveland, Dallas, and the Spurs, as it looks like Orlando will match Gortat.

With Varejo and Shaq, I tend to think the Cavs won't give up their role players as readily as the Spurs or Mavs.

That probably leave the Spurs and Mavs. Who get's Camby in that situation? Not sure: the Mavs currenly have Dampier's contract to trade, but it will likely be traded away before the Clips would be willing to trade Camby. Cuban is certainly not someone who is afraid to trade players away, however I'll go out on a limb and say being that Stackhouse is already gone for Marion, and if Dampier is already traded away for whatever piece he'll net them, then the Spurs are front runners for Camby. Mostly because the pieces that Cuban will then have, he likely won't want to trade away.

Coupled with the fact that the Spurs were THIS close to getting Camby at last season's trade deadline, and I like the Spurs to get Camby later this season, or even this summer if the Clips get trigger happy.

That's it! Added to the great roster the Spurs have, Spurs get Camby, and win the 2010 le!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two first round picks is way too much IMO.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    camby's better than what we have, but some of you all vastly overrate him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that the Clippers would be interested in Marcus Williams as a prospect like some suggest. Remember, the Clippers signed Williams to a contract a year or so ago and released him.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two first round picks is way too much IMO.
    Agreed. It's one thing to give away first rounders when you know you're going to be one of the NBA elites for the next 5 years. But with the Spurs window closing they need to be careful about giving away future picks. Sure would suck to get a few years down the road and something happens where you end up having to fork over a lottery pick.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that the Clippers would be interested in Marcus Williams as a prospect like some suggest. Remember, the Clippers signed Williams to a contract a year or so ago and released him.
    Exactly. Williams only value would be his unguaranteed contract. Who the Clippers would very much be interested in as a prospect though is George Hill, and if the Spurs want Camby Hill is probably going to have to be in that trade package.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Manu straightup for Camby. Its a trade that helps both teams. The spurs need another frontline starter at center and the Clippers need a 2 guard.

Manu will not be getting big minutes as it is and by giving Hill more of those minutes at the 2 he will develop quicker. By the time the playoffs start Hill will be an impact combo guard. Also with Jefferson as a cabable scorer combined with Camby and the development of Hill that more than makes up for losing Manu's scoring. Camby would solidify the spurs frontline and give them a fighting chance against the Lakers size advantage.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They might be interested in his non-guaranteed contract. The Spurs could help the Clips trim a little payroll this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though we made some great moves this offseason I still think we're lacking a good 6'11'' - 7'0'' guy to block shots and be a presence inside and I think Camby is the best guy available out-there. Here's my trade proposal:

Camby for Finley, Bonner and Mason.

The Clippers are in rebulding mode so they'd welcome the expiring contracts, if they don't go for that you can add a draft pick, Splitter rights and maybe some cash conideration.

1) Would you go for that?
    2) Do you think the Clippers would go for that?
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-20-2009 at 10:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though we made some great moves this offseason I still think we're lacking a good 6'11'' - 7'0'' guy to block shots and be a presence inside and I think Camby is the best guy available out-there. Here's my trade proposal:

Camby for Finley, Bonner and Mason

The Clippers are in rebulding mode so they'd welcome the expiring contracts, if they don't go for that you can add a draft pick, Splitter rights and maybe some cash conideration.

1) Would you go for that?
    2) Do you think the Clippers would go for that?
    I just realized that Camby is also an expiring contract so the Spurs should definitely add something more than just Bonner, Mason and Finley.
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-20-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to click save trade and then your given a link you can post. That link you posted was nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to click save trade and then your given a link you can post. That link you posted was nothing.
    Thanks for the heads up. I tried to fix it but I couldn't so I just write it down.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    After trading for Madsen and Smith would they really need Bonner too? They have like a gazillion big men now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After trading for Madsen and Smith would they really need Bonner too? They have like a gazillion big men now.
    Madsen is irrelevant

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they might probably be somehow interested in Mason, to upgrade the shooting department and maybe also (a very little) in Ian. surly they also would like Hill, but they also have Mike Taylor and it looks as if they have high hopes for him.
    if it's also about saving money (as always with Sterling) a package of Mason, Ian, Williams and Bonner for Camby and Mardy Collins works and saves the Clippers about 2.5 million immediately(if the waive Williams). I wouldn't mind to see Collins on our roster. he struggled with his previous teams, but I think he might fit well with the Spurs. (ok, the shooting is really a question mark). alongside Hill he might work well, his defense on SGs is decent, for sure better than Mason's. and he is for sure a better PG than Mason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the way we throw out peoples names like candy in this forum im glad none of us are the GM's in the leaque. LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker
    Bogans
    Jefferson
    Duncan
    Camby

Camby has been averaging:

8.2ppg
    12.0rpg
    3.1apg
    2.1bpg

and he's playing next to Chris Kaman. He grabbed 25 rebounds a few days ago.

Thread Information