Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SPURS need to give up Manu for RJ and then use MLE to sign a young center. To re-energize the team, it's good to try this route. A heathy Manu can't help SPURS to get past Lakers anyway and I can project more injury for Manu in the coming seasons.

SPURS can include Bonner or Mason in the trade to get a big from Buck too like CV

Manu can't do it, but a lesser player than Manu can?

WTF

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is on the Spurs board too.

Spurs discuss trade for Bucks’ Jefferson
    By Adrian Wojnarowski

The San Antonio Spurs are in serious discussions with the Milwaukee Bucks for forward Richard Jefferson, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

The proposed deal would have the Spurs send send veterans Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto to the Bucks, who are looking to shed the remaining two years, $29.2 million on Jefferson’s contract for the Spurs’ expiring contracts.

The deal isn’t completed, but league executives say both teams appear motivated to get it done.

Jefferson is the athletic, scoring forward that Spurs have craved to complement the aging tandem of Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili. The Spurs have been pursuing the New Jersey Nets Vince Carter too, but it appears Jefferson is the deal that they can make now.

After arriving in Milwaukee last summer from New Jersey, Jefferson averaged 19.6 points for the Bucks last season.

Bowen, 38, has been a staple of the past three Spurs championships and one of the NBA’s most dogged defenders.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is Mel 13???? I told you so Mel lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this trade will not happen

financial reasons

guarnteed

thread closed

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100000000X better than acquiring Vince Carter so let the season begin already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this trade will not happen

financial reasons

guarnteed

thread closed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is Mel 13???? I told you so Mel lol
    I said the Spurs could not acquire RJ without exceeding the lux tax or filling out most of the roster with minimum salary players. That remains true. They have apparently decided to exceed the tax. I am happy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan: $22.2 million
    Tony Parker: $12.6 million
    Manu Ginobili: $10.7 million
    Richard Jefferson: $14.2 million

TOTAL: $59.7 million

Everyone can get this idea out of their heads real quick. This team GAVE away a guy they had been fighting like dogs for 5 years to sign over a lousy $3 million and all of a sudden they're going to go with a $70+ million payroll? This thread is nothing more than SpursFan masturbation.
    LMAO lol oooh i love it

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO lol oooh i love it
    Man, I love being wrong there too!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What difference does it make? This is about the simple math, not about the indisputable fact that RJ is a better player than everyone on the Spurs not named Tim, Tony or Manu.

You cannot add RJ's contract to the Big 3, fill out the rest of the roster, AND stay under the luxury tax unless you are going to have a Big 4 and 9-11 players on minimum deals.

The only way the Spurs will consider adding a 14-16M contract to TD, TP, and Manu will be for an all-star level big. You think Toronto will give up Bosh for our extra contracts? I didn't think so, either.

There is just no way the Spurs add a perimeter player that makes more money than TP unless they deal Manu.

You can contemplate a trade for a perimeter player on a contract the size of Caron Butler or Corey Maggette and possibly make it work, but RJ and VC won't work

You can have Tim, Tony and RJ on the Spurs. You cannot have Tim, Tony, Manu and RJ. That is, in the real world

I don't know how to make it any clearer.
    We have Tim,Tony,Manu and RJ now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ownership and the FO probobly won't let it happen.
    They will and and they did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Pop, R.C and Peter Holt for making me the winner in the debate between me Mel 13 and Baseline Bum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ is almost the perfect fit for Spurs' SF spot.

Bucks will have some luxury tax troubles next year. Spurs with Bowen and Oberto partially guaranteed contracts have the ability to make an offer that will allow Bucks to save money as soon as next year.

Providing Spurs are ready to say goodbye to the 2010 plan and Bucks are ready to nearly salary dump him, it could be interesting.

A trade like Oberto+Bowen+Thomas+picks for Jefferson would be great for SA.

Re-sign Bowen and put Finley in the trash and Spurs have a great perimeter rotation:

PG : Parker/Hill
    SG : Ginobili/Mason
    SF : Jefferson/Bowen

After that, you spend the MLE on bigs and
    Bruno 1, KBP 0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fairness to the doubters in this thread, if you told me yesterday that the Spurs would be trading Fabs, Bowen, and KT for Jefferson today, my response would have been, "Go screw yourself for getting my hopes up over an absolute fantasy that will never happen."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Richard Jefferson to San Antonio

Old flames die hard. In February several news outlets reported that the Spurs were in talks with the Nets and Bucks to trade for either Richard Jefferson or Vince Carter. Apparently, those talks never died.

Chad Ford is reporting that the Spurs and Bucks have agreed to a deal that would send Fabricio Oberto, Kurt Thomas and Bruce Bowen to Milwaukee for Richard Jefferson. This is a no brainer for the Spurs, and it puts them right back in the championship hunt. Richard Jefferson is a monster upgrade.

Jefferson’s skill set couldn’t be a better match for San Antonio. He can score going to the hoop, is a capable defender, and shoots nearly .400 from the arc. His 19 ppg give San Antonio the 4th scorer they’ve needed for several seasons. Jefferson averaged a mere 2 TO per game last season as Milwaukee’s best player. It’s hard to imagine a better trade scenario. The Spurs just struck oil.

Relative to his salary, Richard Jefferson may under produce. His career PER is 16.7. That’s a little low for a player owed 14 and 15 million the next two seasons. But he’s only 29. And his production is vastly superior to anything the Spurs have had on the wing since Sean Elliott.

My best guess is that the Bucks will buy out Bruce Bowen and we’ll see him return to San Antonio prior to training camp. If that happens, this trade goes from a homerun to a grand slam. The only downside is that the move leaves the Spurs thin upfront, but one suspects they have a back up plan in the works to replace Kurt Thomas. Oberto’s best play is two seasons behind him, and the Spurs actually win by freeing up his roster spot. By adding Jefferson, the Spurs have converted Roger Mason Jr. into a potent 5th option or valuable trade chip. The ripple effects go from the center to shore, and I’m hard pressed to find a single negative in this move.

Aside from landing Jefferson, the other story here is that the Spurs have moved away from their 2010 cap strategy. Jefferson’s salary eats up everything they had on reserve for a big name free agent run. But Jefferson is probably as good as any player they were likely to land next summer, so in that sense they’ve simply accelerated their rebuild with a player that can help them within Tim Duncan’s window. They’re not waiting on 2010 by sitting out 2009. This also means there is no reason for the team to play cautious with their checkbook. With their 2010 plan on the scrapheap, the team could theoretically make another trade for a player whose salary would push them against the taxline.

As I write this, my head keeps going back to something that might be missed in all this. San Antonio is good to its fans. Here is a team that is committed to winning. After being bounced in the first round, they could have faded from view just as everyone expected them to. But instead, they got off the mat and started swinging. They’re a small market team with a relatively poor ownership group in a bad economy. And they just added a big contract to their books when 1/2 the league is trying to shed cap. Take note.

http://www.48minutesof .com/2009/...o-san-antonio/

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I write this, my head keeps going back to something that might be missed in all this. San Antonio is good to its fans. Here is a team that is committed to winning. After being bounced in
    the first round, they could have faded from view just as everyone expected them to. But instead, they got off the mat and started swinging. They’re a small market team with a relatively poor ownership group in a bad economy. And they just added a big contract to their books when 1/2 the league is trying to shed cap. Take note

Another reason to be proud to be a Spurs fan.

Instead of blowing it up, they are smart, and pull off a doozy of a trade.

Great job FO and ownership group.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I love being wrong there too!
    it was a good call bb !

congrat Bruno you had it right

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I write this, my head keeps going back to something that might be missed in all this. San Antonio is good to its fans. Here is a team that is committed to winning. After being bounced in

Another reason to be proud to be a Spurs fan.

Instead of blowing it up, they are smart, and pull off a doozy of a trade.

Great job FO and ownership group.
    Nice post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SPURS need to give up Manu for RJ and then use MLE to sign a young center. To re-energize the team, it's good to try this route. A heathy Manu can't help SPURS to get past Lakers anyway and I can project more injury for Manu in the coming seasons.

SPURS can include Bonner or Mason in the trade to get a big from Buck too like CV
    Wasn't necessary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great call, Bruno.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey I started the thread. Not Bruno. I know Bruno brings out some of the best insight on this board, but give some kudos to the unknown posters every now and then. Geeze

Not that it matters, but be right about the kudos.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 06-24-2009 at 12:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ is almost the perfect fit for Spurs' SF spot.

Bucks will have some luxury tax troubles next year. Spurs with Bowen and Oberto partially guaranteed contracts have the ability to make an offer that will allow Bucks to save money as soon as next year.

Providing Spurs are ready to say goodbye to the 2010 plan and Bucks are ready to nearly salary dump him, it could be interesting.

A trade like Oberto+Bowen+Thomas+picks for Jefferson would be great for SA.

Re-sign Bowen and put Finley in the trash and Spurs have a great perimeter rotation:

PG : Parker/Hill
    SG : Ginobili/Mason
    SF : Jefferson/Bowen

After that, you spend the MLE on bigs and

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey I started the thread. Not Bruno. I know Bruno brings out some of the best insight on this board, but give some kudos to the unknown posters every now and then. Geeze

Well he got the trade right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Of course, you get props.

Had you no started this glorious thread, that could surely never be duplicated, Bruno never would have had the vehicle to make the great call on the trade that he did.(It's really a wonder why Bruno didn't thank you before posting. Quite shameful, really. )

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering how little the Spurs had to give up to get RJ, I'd say this was a great move. Basically like a FA acquisition that only entails a 2 year commitment. Not too bad.

Thread Information