Post Count
    Off the bench OK.
    If he's traded for the right offer I'm also OK with it

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner was never meant to be a starter.

Hes a bench guy. I got no problem keeping him, as long as he doesnt play over 30 minutes a game anymore.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Red Rocket was more like the Red Sparkler in this years playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no more starting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll re-post what I said in another thread about Bonner:

Bonner was supposed to be a bench player when he arrived in San Antonio. A guy who comes in and gets 10-15 minutes of hustle play a night. Sometimes more minutes when he's raining 3's, sometimes less when the other team is too athletic.

By now, Mahinmi or Splitter should have been in a Spurs uniform alongside of Duncan on the front line. The Spurs were forced to give Bonner a bigger role and since he was shooting so well throughout this season (and they needed offense without Manu), it made sense.

The Spurs obviously gave up on being a defensive force early in the season. That's why Bonner remained a starter, Bowen went to the bench, and Hill didn't get off the pine. That was the mistake I think. They thought they didn't have the personnel to lock people down anymore. I think they still did.

I have done my share of Bonner hating, but I think it's silly to go off on the guy constantly. People were actually calling for his suicide after the last game. That's freakin' sick. It's a basketball game and he's a human being.

He's a guy who would have been a great energy player for 15 minutes a night, he was forced into a starting role and did what he could this year. I'm not apologizing for his wussy reluctance to shoot or his slumps at times, but people need to look at how this came about -- not just blame Bonner for not being able to be a different type of player.
    That all being said; I think they'll look to include him (along with Mason) in any trade packages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stay home . .. you did in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trade him to the raptors damn it for bosh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bringing Bonner and Thomas off the bench actually makes sense and fits for next season. They have entirely different games so Pop would have an easy time mixing and matching.

Definitely take him out of the starting lineup. Heck, don't even put him in a position where the Spurs need him to produce. But I wouldn't go out of my way to trade him. One year left on his deal and a lot of experience gained this year? Not bad for a spot bench player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally my gut feeling is to say GTFO. But maybe in a limited role off the bench I'd be fine with. But if I had it my way, the big man rotation for next year would be: TD, Sheed, Mahinmi, and Gooden (re-sign him, he's young and has a post game, the lack of D from him will be covered by Sheed). Thomas...maybe one more year. Bonner and Oberto= Gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally my gut feeling is to say GTFO. But maybe in a limited role off the bench I'd be fine with. But if I had it my way, the big man rotation for next year would be: TD, Sheed, Mahinmi, and Gooden (re-sign him, he's young and has a post game, the lack of D from him will be covered by Sheed). Thomas...maybe one more year. Bonner and Oberto= Gone.
    I don't see the Spurs being able to get both Sheed and Gooden. There just isn't enough money to go around.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bonner can copy what he did this past season onto next season, then thats fine..
    But ONLY if he comes off the bench.
    I say that because I doubt anyone would want to trade for him..
    and yes, I would be surprised...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing to keep in mind is the looks Bonner is going to get if he is not on the floor with Tim Duncan at the same time. He and Duncan are a nice front court pair at least on the offensive end. He spaces the floor for Tim and in return Tim gets him open looks. If we bring him off the bench he will not be nearly as effective when Timmy is resting. Of course, who is.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My feelings on him are the same as Finley.... if you could guarantee he'd be at the end of the bench getting DNP-CDs on most nights, and getting occasional burn, I'm cool with it.

But we all know Pop is a sucker for his vets, and he's a sucker for having a three point shooting big out there next to Tim. Which means if he's still around next year he'll be getting way too much run.

So don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, Red Rocket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope pop trades him for a future secodn round pick and give his money to gooden

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying all year that he could be a valuable asset if he plays 15 MPG as an offensive spark off the bench..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Na, we need to include him in any trades we put together along with mason--say to the nets for VC. I'm sorry but he's way too inconsistent for even a bench player, his rotations are SLOW, and he always goes for ball fakes when he finally gets his fire crotch over there. You gotta ditch this guy, much rather keep kt if i had to choose between them, though wouldn't mind both of them being included in a trade. I would feel much more comfortable if this guy rode the pine most games if he is on the team next year. Please be gone boNer. pretty please FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a two-time playoff flop. Too much was expected from him by having him in the starting lineup. End-of-bench role or GTFO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a two-time playoff flop. Too much was expected from him by having him in the starting lineup. End-of-bench role or GTFO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely agree. It's the bench or out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For frontline depth, Bonner is a good choice. If the Spurs bring in another big who can spread the floor, including Bonner's expiring contract in a trade isn't a horrible idea.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    trade him for some picks or cash

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My feelings on him are the same as Finley.... if you could guarantee he'd be at the end of the bench getting DNP-CDs on most nights, and getting occasional burn, I'm cool with it.

But we all know Pop is a sucker for his vets, and he's a sucker for having a three point shooting big out there next to Tim. Which means if he's still around next year he'll be getting way too much run.

So don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, Red Rocket.
    I don't really agree with this. Matt has spent TONS of time in Pop's doghouse...something that Pop never did with Finley no matter how bad he played.

If we make a move for an upgrade on the front line then I think we keep him. That way he is coming off the bench as a spark and if he is not doing that then I think Pop will simply doghouse him again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really agree with this. Matt has spent TONS of time in Pop's doghouse...something that Pop never did with Finley no matter how bad he played.

If we make a move for an upgrade on the front line then I think we keep him. That way he is coming off the bench as a spark and if he is not doing that then I think Pop will simply doghouse him again.
    Agreed. Pop has man-love for Finley. Pop, on the other hand, forced himself to play Bonner. Come playoff time, Bonner had to be given a chance. You can't throw away 82 games of investing in Bonner after a few postseason games, especially when the backup options weren't too intriguing.

I don't see Pop having a problem using Bonner more logically if a starting quality big is brought in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " I'm going to Hawaii, f... Yeah ! "

Thread Information