Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want him back in any way..

Like others have said, if he's on the roster, Pop will play him way too much..There's no reason to think that Pop will fall out of love, it just doesn't happen like that, he still seems to be fully into the relationship...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he doesn't come back next year either. We need to make room for our younger guys, like Marcus Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he doesn't come back next year either. We need to make room for our younger guys, like Marcus Williams.

No way Finley should be back on the roster.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I don't see the Spurs reloading nearly the entire sg/sf positions. If all those rumors had some substance last season then they're willing to trade both Bowen and Mason in the right deal. I'm guessing they'll try to revisit that again during the draft if it's true they want a 1st round pick.

I'll be surprised if we don't have some sg/sf veteran on the end of the bench this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump. Hopefully we'll hear about Finley's decision soon. Spurs have to be putting a little pressure on him to decide before the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, Fin looked devastated in that interview. I hope he doesn't read this forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm one of the biggest Finley supporters on this planet, I really am, but it's time for him to go. I expect an announcement regarding his status for next year, sometime next week before the draft, and I hope he decides to retire. He had a nice run with the Spurs, but it's just that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Cavs could use a player like Michael Finley, who won a championship with the Spurs in 2007 and holds a player option for next season. He wouldn’t even need to play much for the Cavs, although he can still knock down the 3. But if the classy Finley can talk some sense into LeBron and keep him from running from his responsibilities after a tough series loss, then the roster spot is worth it.
    http://www.star-telegram.com/807/story/1440131.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me crazy, but part of me hopes Finley picks up his option. Say what you want about him, but for $2.5 million, you're not likely to get similar production offensively from another player. Granted, we all wish Pop would play him 20 mpg instead of 30 mpg, but that is what it is.

Worst case, I think his contract becomes a pretty decent trade chip; expiring contract of a vet who can actually still play a bit, the Spurs should have no problem trading that away if they want to. In fact, if teams want something with a little more actual value than the Oberto/Bowen contracts, perhaps the Spurs can get away with giving them Finley rather than Mason or Hill.
    Last edited by lurker23; 06-18-2009 at 11:13 AM.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to be looking at SF options despite what Finley decides and when he makes his decision. Putting pressure on him could backfire if he feels they're doing so just to use him in a draft day trade.

It's more likely that he picks his option up and they use that chip for the trade deadline in February if need be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to be looking at SF options despite what Finley decides and when he makes his decision. Putting pressure on him could backfire if he feels they're doing so just to use him in a draft day trade.

It's more likely that he picks his option up and they use that chip for the trade deadline in February if need be.
    Yeah, putting any kind of real pressure on him isn't really the Spurs way, but I'm sure Finley realizes that the Spurs need to know for draft day whether 2/3 should become a bigger priority.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is not going to exercise his option, then he may be a draft day chip in a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is not going to exercise his option, then he may be a draft day chip in a trade.
    Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the CBA can give us some info on this, but I don't think he can be traded by the Spurs UNTIL he picks up his option. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of trading a free agent. However, I could be wrong on this point.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst case, I think his contract becomes a pretty decent trade chip; expiring contract of a vet who can actually still play a bit, the Spurs should have no problem trading that away if they want to. In fact, if teams want something with a little more actual value than the Oberto/Bowen contracts, perhaps the Spurs can get away with giving them Finley rather than Mason or Hill.
    I think this would be pretty influential in regards to his decision to come back. He has to know that if he picks up his option his contract becomes extremely valuable in any trade scenario. As you said, he is not your typical expiring deal. He could actually give a little depth to a team looking for a veteran 2/3.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the is free money anyways? His contract with Dallas is over, isn't it?
    Perhaps its free money because Finley offers very few recognizable contributions to the team, as in, he shows up to work but doesn't get much done.

Love you Finley, but please retire with grace. You have a ring, Cuban's millions, I'd say it was a good ride.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the CBA can give us some info on this, but I don't think he can be traded by the Spurs UNTIL he picks up his option. Otherwise, it would be the equivalent of trading a free agent. However, I could be wrong on this point.
    You are correct. A player or team option has to be exercised first before the player can be traded.

Thread Information