Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've invested so much time in him already. It is worth persisting to see if we can reap benefits.

Get healthy Ian!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope he plays 40 min per in this preseason, like he should've last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still not sure what this kid could do. Hopefully, this year he shows us what he does. And if he gets injured (again), we should ship his ass out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do something with this guy already. A serious injury is nothing anyone can really predict, but I wish the Spurs would pull some sort of trigger with Mahinmi. Throw him into the fire & play him (this upcoming season), waive him (if he seems injury plagued or bust-ish), or trade him for a future draft pick (if even possible). He's still with the team, sitting in business clothes everygame, so I'm assuming we're keeping him around and he's formed friendships within the Spurs roster, but I don't know how many more games with the Toros is really going to help himself OR the Spurs... He was drafted in 05, and hasn't been a factor whatsover (granted he is pretty young, on a veteran type squad). But, there's some similar-position players drafted behind him that year that have gone on to be pretty servicable (David Lee, Ryan Gomes, Brandon Bass, Amir Johnson). I hope the Spurs FO mixes it up this next season and aren't obsessed with fielding players over 30. Whether Mahinmi is an NBA talent or not, we NEED to find out, and act accordingly. I don't think anyone is expected an all-star, just for him to offer SOMETHING young big men usually provide (put-backs, offensive rebounds, hustle, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just bring him in, even if he is raw.

We have nothing to lose at this point.

Look at the Lakers and Celtics, they brought young players and it's paying off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i ll be happy if he can go 5 and 5, I haven't seen him play much but I don't have high hopes. You can't rely on unproven rookies. Summer league will be big for him, but expect the spurs to try and find something more reliable, if he can be a contributor thats a plus.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i ll be happy if he can go 5 and 5,
    I agree, especially if one of those fives isn't fouls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It astounds me how stupid some people are... I'm getting really sick of the posters saying things like "what's he done for me lately? Ditch him" and "should we continue with this guy?" and "if he gets injured again, shoot the SOB!" yeah, because injuries are his fault...

He's 22! That's one year past college for many players, and he's a baby in big-man terms (they come into their own in their mid-to-late 20s generally). Not only that, but a couple of poorly diagnosed ankle injuries snuffed his season, and yet people still want to give up on him? Give me a break.

Mahinmi has huge potential. Whether it is realised is still up in the air, but at worst I see him as a poor man's Tyrus Thomas.

Give the kid 2 full seasons, and if he's shown nothing by then you can bring out the guillotine. Otherwise, lay off him. It's called "developing a player".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It astounds me how stupid some people are... I'm getting really sick of the posters saying things like "what's he done for me lately? Ditch him" and "should we continue with this guy?" and "if he gets injured again, shoot the SOB!" yeah, because injuries are his fault...

He's 22! That's one year past college for many players, and he's a baby in big-man terms (they come into their own in their mid-to-late 20s generally). Not only that, but a couple of poorly diagnosed ankle injuries snuffed his season, and yet people still want to give up on him? Give me a break.

Mahinmi has huge potential. Whether it is realised is still up in the air, but at worst I see him as a poor man's Tyrus Thomas.

Give the kid 2 full seasons, and if he's shown nothing by then you can bring out the guillotine. Otherwise, lay off him. It's called "developing a player".
    well said

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how many more games with the Toros is really going to help himself OR the Spurs.
    Unless they change the rules, Ian can't play with the Toros anymore.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ohhh. i never knew that. so the rule is a 2 year max or something like that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. The Spurs want the rules changed so vets can do rehab stints and the like, but it hasn't happened yet.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CD, you've probably seen more of Mahinmi live than anybody. Has your opinion of him changed / evolved? It's probably not a fair comparison with the different rosters, but how did he look compared to Pops' limited stint?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A big difference between Ian and Pops is that Ian rarely went through a game without being doubled-teams almost the entire time. Pops' getting 39 points and 18 boards in a single game is impressive, but the impact of those numbers is blunted a bit when you take into account his being single-covered by Josh Davis most of the game. Opposing teams did have a lot more time to scout and game plan Ian. Pops was in Austin for less than a month, so the process was much more truncated in his case.

Ian has a bit more size and a more refined post game. Pops is a better rebounder. Both are excellent in transition. Ian played more of a Duncan role on defense and the Toros could completely shut down other teams with him as their anchor. Pops was much less fundamentally sound when it came to things like rotations, but he did a good job of recovering and was a better weak side shot blocker.

I've said before I can see Ian playing an Elson-like role on the Spurs -- but he has much more potential in the areas of post offense and defense than Francisco. Pops' offensive deficiencies in the halfcourt have become magnified in the NBA. He'll need to develop more of a face up/midrange game to make up for his lack of size. I think he got called up because he hit a bunch of midrange shots in Austin -- if he can do that in the NBA, he has a much better chance of sticking.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the way I see it. If the Spurs can pull Splitter and Mahimi frontline = Duncan, Splitter, Gooden, Mahimi, Thomas. Nice rotation right? Then,
    Add Ginobili, Mason, Gist, Hill, and Parker + Key intangible players then we are back in the party. Because, we got beat by a soft ass Dallas team. And as you can see they are not that good! We need young legs in key spots!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am thinking that is wishful thinking that people want Ian to be played heavy minutes. Your assuming that he can stay on the court long enough without getting in foul trouble. This guy still hasn't learned to play solid defense without fouling. And he is doing that in the D-League, so how can we expect him to not foul in the big time??? I think he hasn't shown anything to warrant heavy minutes. Your better off giving those minutes to an athletic big man who has been in the league for a couple of years or to a proven veteran, like Sheed, KT, or Dice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An athletic big man is critical need for the Spurs. I'm not against the Spurs' picking up another on in addition to Ian, depending on the makeup of the team. I personally think Gist could play the 3 or 4, so I'm cool signing him to fill that role.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am thinking that is wishful thinking that people want Ian to be played heavy minutes. Your assuming that he can stay on the court long enough without getting in foul trouble. This guy still hasn't learned to play solid defense without fouling. And he is doing that in the D-League, so how can we expect him to not foul in the big time??? I think he hasn't shown anything to warrant heavy minutes. Your better off giving those minutes to an athletic big man who has been in the league for a couple of years or to a proven veteran, like Sheed, KT, or Dice.
    It is wishful thinking. I wish that Ian is good as Sheed and has the toughness of KT only in a younger version.He lead the D-Team to the championship. They have not been back since. He has talent. I don't know if he would get in foul trouble or play heavy minutes. All I know is this: The Spurs have fell off defensively each year since D-Rob left. Tim practically has played alone on the frontline. As you saw this year--It is wearing him out...He can't do it alone. Now in regards to Sheed and Dice.I wouldn't find a spot for them. I trust Pop and RC. I remember when Pop took over for Bob Hill how everybody quipped at his nerve at changing the Spurs style. That style change gave the Spurs 4 Championships. The Spurs do not randomly draft talent. This guy has all star talent. Give him a chance. NBA scouts have said as much. Go back and look at the preseason scouting reports on the Spurs last year. If this guy commands any kind of attention in the post and is a defensive presence.The Spurs are a big factor again for the next 2-3 years!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A big difference between Ian and Pops is that Ian rarely went through a game without being doubled-teams almost the entire time. Pops' getting 39 points and 18 boards in a single game is impressive, but the impact of those numbers is blunted a bit when you take into account his being single-covered by Josh Davis most of the game. Opposing teams did have a lot more time to scout and game plan Ian. Pops was in Austin for less than a month, so the process was much more truncated in his case.

Ian has a bit more size and a more refined post game. Pops is a better rebounder. Both are excellent in transition. Ian played more of a Duncan role on defense and the Toros could completely shut down other teams with him as their anchor. Pops was much less fundamentally sound when it came to things like rotations, but he did a good job of recovering and was a better weak side shot blocker.

I've said before I can see Ian playing an Elson-like role on the Spurs -- but he has much more potential in the areas of post offense and defense than Francisco. Pops' offensive deficiencies in the halfcourt have become magnified in the NBA. He'll need to develop more of a face up/midrange game to make up for his lack of size. I think he got called up because he hit a bunch of midrange shots in Austin -- if he can do that in the NBA, he has a much better chance of sticking.
    Thanks Chump for these always very good perspective of the Toros players.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks CD. Knowing Ian successfully played as the anchor of a serious defense is reassuring. It's also a good reminder that Ian was the focal point of opposing team's defensive strategies whereas Pops wasn't.

Pops sure can dunk garbage rebounds and yell like Elson though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrifying words in the Mahinmi universe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need an infusion of youth, especially up front. Ian should provide that boost. Lets hope he comes to work and can pick things up quickly. If he can just focus on defense and rebounding and running the floor he will help.

Then work on his shooting, ball-handling and shot blocking in practice and just grow throughout the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So chump, any news on Ian with the Toros? Did he ever end up in a game, or was it just rehab/so Spurs fans wouldn't see him in a suit next to Manu in the POs and be even more ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Then again, those are likely the same fans who believe Pops Kunta-Kinte is a future All-Star. Further, what other young bigman prospect do the Spurs have available for the 2009-10 season?

The front office has made its share of mistakes, but then I read the solutions proffered by the masses and pour myself a drink.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then again, those are likely the same fans who believe Pops Kunta-Kinte is a future All-Star.
    Does it make you idiots feel good to repeat that never happened and feel superior about it?

I'd love to see a single post, let alone multiple, where someone seriously said Pops was a future all-star. Second, how much worse is he than the guy who started at center for the Spurs in the playoffs? The fans that recognized the need Mensah-Bonsu filled are probably the same ones that are hopeful That Mahinmi can take over that role. If everyone on the squad gave the kind of effort Pops did, it's likely the Spurs are still alive in the playoffs right now.

Thread Information