San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fabricio Oberto | PF/C
    Born: Mar 21, 1975
    Height: 6-10 / 2,08
    Weight: 245 lbs. / 111,1 kg.
    Years Pro: 3

info
    Last edited by Bruno; 08-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Gooden has a low BB IQ....does that mean Fab had a high BB IQ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Oberto would've done a much better job than the ghost that is Matt Bonner but his heart condition and lack of Ginobili doesn't help his chances of playtime.

I nearly forgot this guy was even on the team during the playoffs series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade bait

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would have liked to see him get Bonner's minutes on account of his passing ability and familiarity of playing with Tim. I hope it was being overly cautious about his heart condition and not Pop's love affair with Bonner that kept him on the bench

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract is only partially guaranteed. That means the Spurs will either release him or trade him. No way they decide to keep him for the entire value of his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I think he would've helped a of lot more than Bonner so I would rather keep Fab over Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I think he would've helped a of lot more than Bonner so I would rather keep Fab over Bonner.
    This is crazy talk. Most Spurs fans want to get younger, Bonner is one of our younger players and he got some great experience this year. Meanwhile Oberto needs to decide if he is going to retire or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is crazy talk. Most Spurs fans want to get younger, Bonner is one of our younger players and he got some great experience this year. Meanwhile Oberto needs to decide if he is going to retire or not.
    Oberto runs the hi/low with TD very well...and has a great basketball IQ and was always at the right place for a putback or a rebound/tip out rebound all the time. While Bonner was getting owned on the defensive end at times and couldnt hit on the offensive end. I would have liked to see what Fab was made of this past series over Bonner..since he flopped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hope he retires

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart and tough complimentary player but now is the time to part company. Thanks, Fab

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2010 contract. I could see Fab being a trade piece to make numbers work.

Mason, Oberto, whatever else for Carter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    + 1 yes he does have good bball iq but we need to get younger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract is only partially guaranteed. That means the Spurs will either release him or trade him. No way they decide to keep him for the entire value of his contract.
    Agreed.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bye Fab

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the players I enjoy watching the most, smart, remarkable BB IQ, unfortunately hasn't been blessed with a better body for NBA standards. Time to part ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Oberto retires due to his heart condition, is there a scenario in which his entire salary comes off the books so the Spurs can get extra room under the lux tax threshold?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Oberto retires due to his heart condition, is there a scenario in which his entire salary comes off the books so the Spurs can get extra room under the lux tax threshold?
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q53

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.
    Now the question is when start the one year period following the illness?

If the start of this period is Oberto's last game played, Spurs won't get any cap relief if Oberto medically retires.
    If the start of this period is Oberto heart trouble in late March, Spurs will get cap relief if Oberto medically retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I wonder if Oberto will retire. Everything points to his heart trouble being relatively minor but it still can't be the safest thing to play with a trick heart. If he wants to continue playing, I'm sure there are teams out there that would consider signing him. The Hornets make sense. Playing for the Lakers in the triangle would also be a good fit.

But maybe he'll want to retire. He didn't exactly play this past season with an abundance of fire . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were some players, such as Sidney Green, that you feel almost offended to see in a Spurs uniform.
    Oberto is such a player.
    Good riddance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There were some players, such as Sidney Green, that you feel almost offended to see in a Spurs uniform.
    Oberto is such a player.
    Good riddance.
    you. Seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oberto is such a player.
    Good riddance.
    I assume you were born after the 2007 playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume you were born after the 2007 playoffs.
    You would assume wrong. I've got shoes older than you, kid.
    Looking at the present and past through rose-colored glasses has it's limits. Oberto has more often been a liabilty than not. The Spurs won in 2007 despite him, not because of anything he did on the court IMO.

you. Seriously.
    Are you related to Oberto? Argentian perhaps? Why the immature aggro? Welcome to my ignore list.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

I really think he should with his heart issues. He has had a good career.

Thread Information