Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main concern about Thomas is that he is too expensive. At $2M, he would be nice role player. At $3.8M, it is simply too much for a 37 years old slow undersized center.
    Aha, someone who agrees 100% with my take! Bruno, what does that additional money mean for us this summer? Seems to me it could cost us a better MLE big like Rasheed Wallace, if Finley comes back.

I notice there are plenty of others that agree, they just don't get into a lengthy analysis of how solid KT is like the pro-KT crowd, LOL. I don't think too many of us think is is totally worthless, just pricey and cap-limiting for a team as cheap as the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aha, someone who agrees 100% with my take! Bruno, what does that additional money mean for us this summer? Seems to me it could cost us a better MLE big like Rasheed Wallace, if Finley comes back.

I notice there are plenty of others that agree, they just don't get into a lengthy analysis of how solid KT is like the pro-KT crowd, LOL. I don't think too many of us think is is totally worthless, just pricey and cap-limiting for a team as cheap as the Spurs.
    The extra money means nothing. 4 million is fair. If the Spurs paid him 2, they'd still be working with MLE this summer. Maybe he is a little overpaid. But it's a pointless discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

FOs and message board posters could be much smarter with the benefit of hindsight, but that is not how real world decisions are made. Right now, after the 2008-09 season and playoffs, if the Spurs had a 4M salary slot to use on a big, there would probably be very few that would call for signing KT if he was a FA this summer.

But he was a FA last summer, and the FO based their decision, and Spurstalk gave its reaction, based on the facts that existed then. These two threads were started when KT was signed and then when the terms were announced. The overwhelming consensus, AT THE TIME, was that it was a good deal for the Spurs.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101753

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101826

Multiyear deals can develop into bargains or disasters. Not all bargains were objectively smart deals when they were made and not all disasters were stupid moves when signed.

Lets look at a deal that the Spurs made for which the FO and the player were all but unanimously hailed at the time. Coming off their 4th championship, the Spurs and Tim Duncan agreed to a two-year extension to his existing deal which would pay him a total of about 40M for the 2010-11 and the 2011-12 seasons. Duncan took about 10M less than the max and nearly all of Spursville celebrated. Well, what if Tim's knee issues continue to worsen? Will there be threads started in the summer of 2011 lamenting the stupidity of the FO for paying Tim 22M in the last year of his contract? I'll bet there will be.

KT's deal made sense when it was made. The Spurs can trade him or play him but they can't make his deal disappear, just as they will have to live with the consequences of Tim's deal no matter what it looks like 2 yrs from now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas being or not overpaid has consequences if Spurs start doing trades.
    If Spurs FO thinks he is overpaid, he will be one of the first to be included in a trade.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you wanna keep Thomas? I wouldn't mind keeping the veteran in our line-up for the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas being or not overpaid has consequences if Spurs start doing trades.
    If Spurs FO thinks he is overpaid, he will be one of the first to be included in a trade.
    I rarely disagree with you Bruno, but any Spur on an ending contract next year has a high probability of being traded, overpaid or not. Ending contracts are going to be a huge commodity on the trade market this summer as everyone scrambles to get in on 2010.

Sofo what's in your head? GioSugar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also believe that he is overpaid. I just don't know why a team could shop him. Any help?
    I really don't know. Just because he is an ending contract? He contract is guaranteed , so what is the benefit for a team to shop him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rarely disagree with you Bruno, but any Spur on an ending contract next year has a high probability of being traded, overpaid or not. Ending contracts are going to be a huge commodity on the trade market this summer as everyone scrambles to get in on 2010.
    I agree that they all have a high probability but unless Spurs trade for players with a combined salary of $20M, some of the players with expiring contracts will stay. Luxury tax will also be a factor, so Spurs will closely look at the salaries of the players they keep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas is a ing PIMP. He's a solid post defender and rebounder. What surprised me were some of the other defensive matchups he did well with. The last game against OKC, Jeff Green got NOWHERE on him, and he did a decent job on Dirk when he was in the games against Dallas.

Kurt Thomas was close to my favorite Spur this year. Any time he got extended minutes this year with Tim out, a double double was either in the books or damn close.
    Me too. He was the third best Spur this year after Tim and Tony. Glad we have him for another year.

Anyone dogging KT obviously didn't watch the games this year. He's been solid and then some.
    Exactly. He had a horrid first month, then rounded into excellent form.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may be making a little much for his age but the fact of the matter is that big men aren't just laying around everywhere. After he got back into shape after his injury he was the second best big on this team. KT is a known commodity and I would only move him if we were sure we were getting something better than average to go on our front line in return.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Fisher from db.com hints that the Mavs are likely to trade Greg Buckner to Milwaukee for Kurt Thomas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fisher from db.com hints that the Mavs are likely to trade Greg Buckner to Milwaukee for Kurt Thomas.
    That would be a good move for the Mavs. They are really hurting in the middle, but why would the Bucks do that? Surely they don't think Buckner has anything left...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a good move for the Mavs. They are really hurting in the middle, but why would the Bucks do that? Surely they don't think Buckner has anything left...
    A larger expiring contract may be of use at the trade deadline, but that's a guess.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    buckners contract is only partially guaranteed the next two years. if waived, he is only due about a mil each of the next two years. dont know if they would go for that, but thats only because i have no idea in what the bucks are doing right now. seems like they have no direction at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dallas waived Buckner today.

Thread Information