Weight: 210 lbs
    Birthday: 06/22/1987
    (21 Years Old)
    DraftExpress

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didn't he work out with the spurs last year before he pulled out of the draft?

SPURS FUTURE 09-10 CHAMPS Spurs_9_20_21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd like to get him or wayne ellington.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slasher?

Scorer?

Anyone know? I didn't catch alot of the tourny this year so I don't know.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he shot the 3 ball pretty good in the tourney

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from Draft Express - possible he could be around in the second round:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Danny-Green-504/

February 11, 2009
    After a breakout junior season, Danny Green has once again taken his game to the next level as a senior, showing some nice increases in production and efficiency in many areas while playing the largest role he’s ever played for UNC.

Green has made a few noteworthy improvements on the offensive end, something that isn’t all too surprising given the way we saw him work out over the summer. The first thing to take note of is Green’s improved shooting from three-point range, up nearly 10 points to 47% (9th of all players in our database), doubly impressive given the increased length of the three-point line this season.

Looking at the mechanics of his shot, it’s very encouraging to see the type of changes Green has made in such a short period of time, which is a testament to the work he must’ve put in over the summer. Green has always been consistent with his mechanics, but his form is now much closer to textbook form, boasting full straight-arm extension and follow through on nearly all of his shots, which is clearly making a strong impact on the results. In addition to that, Green shows good balance and squares his shoulders well when he isn’t rushed, while getting solid elevation with a very high and decently quick release. Green’s mechanics can show some bad habits when he’s rushed by a defender, and his results fall off in these situations as well, but it’s not something that isn’t fixable.

In addition to his good shooting form and the results he’s been getting, there are many other reasons to be optimistic in regards to Green’s shot, namely the fact that he already shows NBA three-point range with his good upper and lower body strength, showing no change in form when shooting from past the line. Also, Green shows excellent awareness of floor spacing while doing a great job moving to open spaces on the floor, frequently getting open for good catch-and-shoot opportunities. His awareness and readiness are both top-notch on the offensive end, and many NBA teams will likely be attracted to the way he’s spent four years excelling in his job as a role player in one of the best offenses in the country.

Aside from his jump shot, Green brings other things to the table on the offensive end, namely his ability to move without the ball, as alluded to above. In addition to doing a good job of maintaining spacing and consistently getting open for spot-up opportunities, Green reads and take advantage of cutting lanes exceptionally well also, doing a great job of slashing to the rim without the ball for the catch-and-finish. Green converts on these opportunities frequently in college, but in analyzing his game, some questions arise about how this ability will convert at the next level, as he doesn’t have the explosiveness to power up over weak side help consistently, and his ability to score with finesse on lay-ups and floaters over help hasn’t been consistently reliable in the NCAA. Working on his floaters and contested lay-ups in half court situations should be among his priorities in preparing for the draft, to better maximize his off-the-ball abilities.

As a ball-handler, Green seemed to be showing some progress in the offseason workouts we were privy to, but it hasn’t really translated to his game yet, as he still looks uncomfortable when executing advanced moves and doesn’t have the first step to get by his man with any sort of consistency. In isolation situations, Green is just not much of a threat to take his man to the hole, however he’s looked more comfortable pulling up off the dribble, doing well when he can get space, though still struggling a bit to consistently create it. He’s very rarely getting to the free throw line this season—his 1.9 attempts per-40 is an extremely low total, and easily the lowest of his career.

Green’s passing also has to be mentioned, as he’s dishing out an impressive 3.1 assists per game compared with 1.7 turnovers while playing off the ball, helping improve his assist to turnover ratio drastically from 1.04 to 1.8 this season. Green has excellent decision-making and sees the floor very well, making lots of smart, simple passes in half court sets, however he’s also shown growing abilities as the handler in pick-and-rolls, making very good reads and dishing out some nice assists.

Defensively, Green is still excellent, one of the best perimeter defenders the NCAA has to offer, showing superb fundamentals and instincts, making great use of his size and length to consistently body up on the perimeter. Green uses his length incredibly well to alter shots, with many of his 1.6 blocks coming in isolation situations on the perimeter, which isn’t all too common at any level of basketball. Laterally, Green doesn’t particularly stand out, but his quickness is more than adequate when coupled with everything else he brings to the table, particularly his 6-10 wingspan. The drop in his rebounding rate this season can likely be explained by the fact that he’s no longer playing power forward for UNC, as he’s become the starting small forward.

Currently projected as a mid-second round pick, it’d be surprising to see Green go undrafted given the improvements he’s made over his four years at UNC, most notably this season. Even though he’s not a prototypical NBA athlete, his ability to defend and make shots could still look very attractive. Because of his outstanding basketball IQ and the experience he’s received at UNC, he may even begin to creep into first round discussions as the draft draws nearer, as winning teams drafting near the end of the first may be attracted to a player who’s already excelled as a two-way role player for a top college team in a top college conference, which should ease his transition to the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-10 wingspan on a defensive-minded SF sounds wonderful. He and Hill could attend Camp Defense with scoutmaster Bruce all season. Have Hairston and Gist tag along during the summer, and who knows? We could have lots of little Bruces running around all over the court in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My best friend lives in NC and saw him play quite a few times - he's the one that brought him to my attention as a potential Bowen replacement that could be a realistic get in the second round.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been a big fan of a Green pick in the past, mainly because I looked at the limitations first (size, athleticism, ball handling, ability to drive, upside), but I have to admit, that I totally changed my mind on him in the last weeks. it's not that I have him on top of my wish list for the #37 pick, but if Spurs pick him there, I for sure won't complain.

I agree with the previous poster, that there is a lot of Bruce Bowen in Green. and similar to Bruce the work ethic of Green seems of the charts, so there is a good chance that he will improve in areas like ball handling, which is clearly an area where hard work helps. and if we needed another comparison: Green has missed just one single game in his 4 years college career.

the fact that he was already a role player on a championship team and did accept this role without any problems, is also reassuring.
    NC might not even have been the perfect system for him. a slower pace should help him a lot. as the 4th option on a half court attack, he would mainly get those open shots, he is best suited for. and his passing ability is likely much better as Bruce's, so his role in the offensive plays could become a bigger one.
    overall I think he would be an unspectacular, but pretty solid pick up and he should be as NBA ready as any player in the draft..

D.I.R.T.Y. till we die manufor3's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will be in the first round

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sounds like the prototypical spurs SF. takes pride in defense and a spot up shooter. i would like it if he could demonstrate more offense in the NBA though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like an intriguing prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my buddy texted me about him again:

"His talents would be wasted in any other organization"

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I have been pretty skeptical of anything good coming out of this draft but if we could get him or Casspi I would consider it a success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he will be in the first round
    how do you know? that's not for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we still had a 1st round pick.

I want that kid from Pitt Young and then Green with #37.....those two, along with Hill and Hairston, would give us a great defensive minded bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i want green,lull and,and claver

we would have a real nice future hopefully spurs can poke someones eyes with bonner or even one of there past 2nd round draft picks like jarvatokas or sandikizie to get these 3 guys please do it pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree that this guy is probably a first rounder now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he would entertain the crowd with his dancing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-10 wingspan on a defensive-minded SF sounds wonderful. He and Hill could attend Camp Defense with scoutmaster Bruce all season. Have Hairston and Gist tag along during the summer, and who knows? We could have lots of little Bruces running around all over the court in the future.
    That would be music to my ears if we could get him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is going in the first round but probably late, so there is a chance that he might slip. If he does, Spurs should snatch him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perfect player for the sports he could backup if we end up getting my boi ariza if we get him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we do get him....do you think he'll start????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we do get him....do you think he'll start????
    if we dont get ariza

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we dont get ariza
    Why are you so high on Ariza, what makes you think we're going to get him?? I know your avatar is Ariza (I think) But is he really that good??

Thread Information