Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the statistically likely possibility that we lose this round(Say 60% of winning at home, 25% chance winning on the road ~2% Chance of winning series), are there realistic trades where we could add more talent and/or a better fit for our system?
    Just as examples what would it take to make the following trades make sense from our end, Jeffersons expiring contract For:
    Peja(and What else, Draft pick? Of course, they may make a Peja + Collison offer to someone else)
    Dalembert(Depending on where the Sixers draft and who they pick, mainly an option if they go with a Big)
    ATL(Marvin Williams and a resigned Childress)
    DET(Villanueva and 1 other long term deal(Hamilton?)
    GS(Maggette and Resigned Morrow)
    TOR(Bargnani and pick or Derozan or Jack)

I'm thinking of the Fact that RJ fits best in a running Style with a Pass first PG, and maybe the experiment hasn't worked. I don't know about how realistic those trades are(eg I doubt TOR trades Bargnani, I'm just putting it out there), but I think it's quite possible that a move is made that involves a change to the construction of the team and RJ's contract is the easiest way to do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know the spurs will be looking for shooting this offseason. Could Turkolgu be an option this offseason and would the spurs be willing to take on 40+ mil left on his contract? A package of Turk + Belinelli for RJ isnt sounding to bad right now and would seem to help out with 3 pt shooting, but that contract for turk is tricky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

(and in retrospect, Hill for Dragic looks REALLY bad right now...).
    No - it wasn't Hill for Dragic. It was Hairston, Blair and 500k for Dragic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this sounds nearly impossible but is there anyway we could do a sign-and-trade with toronto for bosh? Would you give george hill for him along with RJ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know the spurs will be looking for shooting this offseason. Could Turkolgu be an option this offseason and would the spurs be willing to take on 40+ mil left on his contract? A package of Turk + Belinelli for RJ isnt sounding to bad right now and would seem to help out with 3 pt shooting, but that contract for turk is tricky.
    Thought about Turkoglu and his ability to shoot from all over the floor, but I think the Spurs would be repeating the mistake of not getting a player with the "killer instinct".

My preference for an RJ trade would be...

1) Stephen Jackson - killer instinct and ability to hit Js
    2) Corey Maggette - killer instinct and ability to hit Js...but no 3pt threat
    3) Hedo Turkoglu - ability to hit Js and facilitate...but no killer instinct
    4) Rip Hamilton - killer instinct and ability to hit Js...but old
    5) LeBron...j/k

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no on Turkoglu and Hamilton..

Not necessarily pointing at you, but a lot of people here like Turkoglu for some reason..he's one of the worst defensive players in the NBA, his work ethic is gone, he's already on the decline and can barely create his own offense..his game was severely inflated by Orlando's system and by playing with Dwight Howard..

Andre Iguodala is my favorite semi-realistic option for Jefferson, although I don't think the Spurs FO would take his contract back..Maggette might be the most realistic though..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not necessarily pointing at you, but a lot of people here like Turkoglu for some reason..he's one of the worst defensive players in the NBA, his work ethic is gone, he's already on the decline and can barely create his own offense..his game was severely inflated by Orlando's system and by playing with Dwight Howard..

Full of win.

Don't understand the infatuation some people have with Turkoglu or Hamilton.

I wouldn't mind a Jefferson for Iggy deal in the short term perspective. That's if Philly was desperate to get rid of his contract. I just don't like the long-term perspective in taking on that long of a contract.

Another one which I wouldn't mind is Jefferson for Curry and Wilson Chandler (Bruno mentioned it).

Or Jefferson for Maggette/Azubuike. I just don't see Holt taking on Maggette's contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love getting Ill Will, but I don't think the Knicks move him for that package..they're still very high on him, and he's probably the 2nd most popular Knicks player in NY next to Gallo..

He would be perfect for the Spurs though..he has all-star potential with the right surroundings and coaching, and he has also shown that he can guard perimeter bigs, which has been a problem for the Spurs..

I don't see any reason for the Knicks to make that trade..what do you guys think is the logic behind that potential move from the Knicks' side of things?..
    Last edited by HarlemHeat37; 05-08-2010 at 05:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Andre Iguodala is my favorite semi-realistic option for Jefferson, although I don't think the Spurs FO would take his contract back..Maggette might be the most realistic though..
    I forgot about Iguadola...he'd have to be at the top of the list given his youth, athleticism and all-around game. While you're right to say "semi-realistic", I actually think it's for another reason. Given his youth and upside, I don't see the Sixers giving him up simply for an expiring contract.

As for Turkoglu and Hamilton, they are as unattractive as the rest I suppose. For one reason or another teams for these players are likely willing to get rid of them for an expiring contract...that's tells you what kind of value they're actually bringing relative to their contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love getting Ill Will, but I don't think the Knicks move him for that package..they're still very high on him, and he's probably the 2nd most popular Knicks player in NY next to Gallo..

He would be perfect for the Spurs though..he has all-star potential with the right surroundings and coaching, and he has also shown that he can guard perimeter bigs, which has been a problem for the Spurs..

I don't see any reason for the Knicks to make that trade..what do you guys think is the logic behind that potential move from the Knicks' side of things?..
    If they strike out on any marquee free agent targets I think Jefferson could have significant value for an offense coached by D'Antoni.

What makes it even more attractive to New York is that it wouldn't be much of a gamble for the fact that his contract expires after next year.

Now if Knicks are completely sold on Chandler and have plans to resign him after the 2011 season, then I don't think it's possible this situation could play out without the Spurs giving up a pick.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 05-08-2010 at 06:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they strike out on any marquee free agent targets I think Jefferson could have significant value for an offense coached by D'Antoni.

What makes it even more attractive to New York is that it wouldn't be much of a gamble for the fact that his contract expires after next year.

Now if Knicks are completely sold on Chandler and have plans to resign him after the 2011 season, then I don't think it's possible this situation could play out without the Spurs giving up a pick.
    No way RJ nets Chandler, with or without a pick. A swing-for-the-fences type deal that could bring Chandler to the Spurs though...

Spurs trade:
    Tony Parker
    Richard Jefferson

Knicks trade:
    David Lee (S&T)
    Wilson Chandler

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way RJ nets Chandler, with or without a pick. A swing-for-the-fences type deal that could bring Chandler to the Spurs though...

Spurs trade:
    Tony Parker
    Richard Jefferson

Knicks trade:
    David Lee (S&T)
    Wilson Chandler
    With all due respect AFBlue, Spurs would be beyond re ed to make such a move.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've been wondering, should the spurs lay low next year and make a final push during duncan's final year or do a similar all in move again. by that i mean taking on a crippling contract like okafor and/or posey in exchange for richard jefferson's expiring $15 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what are the chances of getting rudy fernandez or travis outlaw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The idea behind a RJ for Curry+Chandler is that it isn't a simple trade but that it's an extend and trade.

The deal should happen before July:
    RJ opt out with the promise of getting a $40M/5 years extension with a $5M starting salary. He is then traded to NY for Curry and Chandler.

For Knicks, they swap Chandler for Jefferson and creates $8.4M in cap space (Jefferson 2011 salary would be $5M, Curry+Chandler one is $13.4M). For example, if they use that cap space on David Lee, this trade is for Knicks Curry+Chandler for Lee+Jefferson. not bad...

For Spurs, they basically paid $1.8M less to have Chandler instead of Jefferson in 2011. If they like him, they can re-sign during the 2011 summer when he will be a RFA.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jefferson is resigned and traded at 5 million a year, We couldn't take on more than 6.35 million, Which a Curry+Chandler combo exceeds. They could take on more Salary, being under the cap, but we couldn't as even with RJ opting out we don't have enough room to take on that money.
    I think RJ is most valuable to teams that have a great Pass first PG and need an upgrade at SF(eg, New Orleans with Paul) or to teams that are looking to create 2011 cap space(Indy, Milwaukee, Philly etc) as his EC creates a ton of room for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jefferson is resigned and traded at 5 million a year, We couldn't take on more than 6.35 million, Which a Curry+Chandler combo exceeds. They could take on more Salary, being under the cap, but we couldn't as even with RJ opting out we don't have enough room to take on that money.
    Nope.
    You do the trade before July and so it's RJ's 2009-2010 salary that counts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone discussed RJ for Richard Hamilton?

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5515569

Spurs get a scrappy defender and automatic shooter who would fit right into the system.

Pistons get an expiring contract, and a slashing, run-and-gun player who would fit in nicely with the nucleus of Gordon, Villanueva, Prince and Stuckey.

Spurs save some salary the first year, but then take on two additional years. RH's contract ends the same year Manu's does.

Seems like a win-win trade if the Spurs are serious about making a run next year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5516289

What about RJ for Troy Murphy and Brandon Rush. It works then pop can have a 4 that can truly spread the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all due respect AFBlue, Spurs would be beyond re ed to make such a move.
    Didn't advocate it...just suggested that RJ wasn't enough to get Chandler and that the Spurs would have to include some other pieces to get it done.

And while I don't trading Tony is the right move, the Spurs could do worse than a guy who will be top-5 in rebounding for the next 5 years and is coming off a 20ppg season along with a versatile forward that can shoot, slash, defend and distribute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isnt heat lookin towards dealing beasley?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yikes, didn't realize Rip Hamilton had that many years left on his contract. Ouch. But I might do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah rip's contract is a no-no. Although his type of player would fit in better than RJ IMO. he is already 32. Look somewhere else...

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    There's no way NY does that deal.

Jefferson + Splitter for Garnett or Pierce.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would do Jefferson + Blair for Garnett, doubt the Cs would do it though..I can't imagine them trading KG, you don't think they'll ride it out for these last few years? I imagine they will just let Ray Allen go and try to get younger, but stay compe ive, no?..

Duncan and Garnett playing together is my NBA fan dream though, even though they're both past their primes..

Thread Information