Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now for the Hornets.

This works with or without Wright.

The Hornets have already shown a willingness to trade him. A good defensive C to take defensive pressure off TD and get weakside blocks. ABle to stay out of TD's way on offense, but I don't know if he can get the midrange jumper that the 2nd big needs next to Tim.
    Last edited by tp2021; 05-01-2009 at 03:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not sure why I did this one. But it works.
    Last edited by tp2021; 05-01-2009 at 03:46 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His contract is pretty expensive. This year he's costing almost as much as Gerald Wallace for them.
    Last edited by tp2021; 05-01-2009 at 03:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw's all around game is intriguing, but not the kind of $27 mil intriguing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw's all around game is intriguing, but not the kind of $27 mil intriguing.
    If the Spurs goal is to pick up a big man in 2010 that has some skill and is relatively young, I think a good idea might be to pry Kaman from the Clippers this year. It is just hard to gauge how serious the Clips are about trading.

Realistically he is about as good the Spurs could hope for in 2010 a la Gooden. But Kaman is better all around than Gooden.

Edit: By the way, Bruce/Oberto for Kaman works. 10M per year for Kaman is reasonable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can offer at least $3.8 million in payroll reduction to another team by dealing Bowen and Oberto. It would be more if they take on a contract with more than one year remaining. While it's tempting to play the 'what if' game with 2010, experience shows that is not going to pay off handsomely, at least in free agency. I think they should do what they can to load up on talent now. An opportunistic cap induced trade, the wise use of their MLE (McDyess) & LLE, a healthy TD and Manu, and one (or more) of their young prospects turning into a contributor should be enough to make the Spurs a serious contender again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can offer at least $3.8 million in payroll reduction to another team by dealing Bowen and Oberto. It would be more if they take on a contract with more than one year remaining. While it's tempting to play the 'what if' game with 2010, experience shows that is not going to pay off handsomely, at least in free agency. I think they should do what they can to load up on talent now. An opportunistic cap induced trade, the wise use of their MLE (McDyess) & LLE, a healthy TD and Manu, and one (or more) of their young prospects turning into a contributor should be enough to make the Spurs a serious contender again.
    How do you feel about my idea? Kaman is about as good as you can hope for with a team looking to trade.

Then you can throw the MLE at someone like Ariza to see if the Lakers will match (which they probably will).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs goal is to pick up a big man in 2010 that has some skill and is relatively young, I think a good idea might be to pry Kaman from the Clippers this year. It is just hard to gauge how serious the Clips are about trading.

Realistically he is about as good the Spurs could hope for in 2010 a la Gooden. But Kaman is better all around than Gooden.

Edit: By the way, Bruce/Oberto for Kaman works. 10M per year for Kaman is reasonable.
    It works. But the Clippers aren't into luxury tax territory, so I don't see why they would do it.

So they probably will, it's the Clippers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same way they were "willing" to trade Camby. They have a log-jam up front and need to do something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There it is.
    Last edited by tp2021; 05-01-2009 at 03:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In regards to the Spurs willingness to go over the luxury tax, I was a little heartened by the recent article where Holt said the Spurs were in good financial shape and didn't need to take any money from the NBA like some of the other teams.

Also, don't the Spurs make $1 million dollars for every home playoff game. A deep playoff run might offset some of the loss of the luxury tax.

5 extra home games = costs of going over the luxury tax? A WCF appearance or Finals appearance may pay for itself.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Kaman's game but hes always freaking hurt.

Like Camby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaman doesn't strike me as a $10 mil per year player. You really need an impact player for that amount and I'm not convinced that Kaman is one.

Plus, he strikes me as a player who might not age well, which scares me with the length of his contract. Basically, the Spurs only get one swing at that price and I'd rather take that chance elsewhere.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    T Chandler is worth exploring; R Jefferson is too expensive but very useful; V Carter is a big risk; Kaman may be too slow and trading for him mean SPURS play the old style game but is still good to explore further; Camby is a definitely no....

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, don't the Spurs make $1 million dollars for every home playoff game.
    Is there info on this? A link, a breakdown?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a link that talks about it.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=898298

This isn't where I heard about it originally, but the logic in the thread seems very plausible and was similar to what I heard earlier.

Sorry, I couldn't get the hyperlink to work correctly when I cut and pasted it. Hope it still helps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. I'd love to see something official. They mention an ESPN article but no link.

There's the Playoff Pool money, but it would be interesting to see how much else is generated.

Just for fun, this years Playoff Pool:

Best record in the NBA ($317,263), Best record in Conference ($277,604 each), Second-best record in conference ($223,126 each), Third-best record in conference ($166,563), Fourth-best record in conference ($130,900), Fifth-best record in conference ($109,074), Sixth-best record in conference ($74,394).

Teams participating in first round ($164,168 each), Teams participating in conference semifinals ($195,337 each), Teams participating in conference finals ($322,792 each), Losing team NBA Finals ($1,290,821), Winning team NBA Finals ($1,948,042).

http://blogs.sltrib.com/jazz/2009/04...day-report.htm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would duncan228 like to see patrolling the paint next to Timmy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a dream.

Don't tell tlong.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely, their willingness to discuss trades for Camby and Carter are evidence that the Spurs would be ready to make a move for an impact player. I think a 10M salary like Butler's is about the upper limit that could be added to the Big 3, pay for the rest of the roster, and stay under the tax.

Btw, the Spurs can't trade their 2010 first rounder because they traded their 2009 pick.
    I would note that a Camby trade, which IMO was much more seriously discussed than a Carter trade, is not sacrificing the 2010 plan. Camby expires in time for 2010.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would duncan228 like to see patrolling the paint next to Timmy?
    Anyone who can defend, rebound, has a good work ethic, and can ease the burden on Duncan.

Just get Duncan some help. I'd love to see him be able to play limited minutes in the regular season without sacrificing wins.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kaman is the best option. clippers don't want him, that's why they sacrificed expiring contracts in 2010 to acquire randolph. they also will probably let camby's contract expire to ease their cap situation. trading expiring contracts for camby, who is already on an expiring contract doesn't make much sense. they have three centers that are starter quality and kaman's contract runs the longest, into the year that thorton would become a RFA.

i think kaman can still develop. playing on the clippers can kill your motivation. he defends, has decent speed for his position, blocks quite a few shots, and can score. the only downside would be killing the 2010 plan and potentially burdening the spurs' cap situation for years to come. however, if kaman can stay healthy, spurs will never have to look for a supporting bigman for duncan ever again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Kaman's game but hes always freaking hurt.

Like Camby.
    reminds me of manu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if the Spurs approach the offseason by using the MLE to get a proven starting bigman (ie McDyess) and then use their expiring contracts (including Bowen and Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts) to go after some younger restricted free agents in sign and trades? They'd probably have to take back a bad contract(s), but I think this might be an effective way to play the offseason, instead of using the expiring contracts to make a run at a player like a Carter or a Jefferson who's on one large contract? They could then fill out the roster with some of their younger prospects (Mahinmi, Williams, etc...) You have to address needs and I think the most glaring is the center position. After that, I think they should think about improving the bench with some younger RFAs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MB, in your opinion, what about Dice makes him a better option for the Spurs than Sheed?

Thread Information