Page 3 of 143 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C Mehmet Okur ( a greater matt bonner in all categories ) and SF Ron Artest ( a former Defensive player of year ) are both unrestricted free agents. what do ya think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MB, in your opinion, what about Dice makes him a better option for the Spurs than Sheed?
    Better rebounder, more polished post game, plays within himself, and more of a team player. I think Wallace's 3 point range is somewhat overrated given that McDyess' range on his jumper extends out enough that opponents have to respect it. Also, Wallace seems to fall back on the 3 ball enough that it hurts his overall offensive contribution. McDyess shot a full 9% better from the field than Wallace did last season.

44% of Wallace's FG attempts this season were 3-point FG attempts, of which he made 35%. I like the idea of bringing in Bonner off the bench as the 3 point bigman threat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN has a listing of all the 09 and 10 free agents here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-09-10

2010 FA's, if traded for, will not disrupt the Spurs own 2010 plan. (I expect the Spurs to hold to that plan, unless someone offers them a star level player eg. Caron Butler on the cheap). I spent some time looking through the list for decent players that would fit in a salary envelop that the spurs could trade for (somewhere between 2 and 10 Million). I also weeded out players that their team obviously wouldn't trade (eg. LaMarcus Aldridge)... I went looking for bigs, and Wing/SF players
    Bigs
    2010 FA's
    Tyrus Thomas (CHI), Amir Johnson (DET), Carl Landry (HOU), Scola (HOU), Hayes(HOU), Camby (LAC), Milicic (MEM), Haslem (MIA), Craig Smith (MIN), Josh Boone (NJN), Hilton Armstrong (NOH), Brendan Haywood (WAS)
    and 2009 Opt outs that I don't see being taken
    Mehmet Okur (UTA), Turkoglu (ORL), Al Harrington (NYK)
    Wings/SF
    2010 FA's
    Balkman (DEN), Dorell Wright (MIA), Mike Miller (MIN), Selafosha (OKC), Outlaw (POR)
    and 2009 Opt outs that I don't see being taken
    Kyle Korver (UTA), Devin Brown (NOH)

Note that there are other names not on my list that might be good targets as they have player options/ETO's in 2010 (eg. John Salmons (CHI), Pryzbilla (POR)). However, I think it is clear that there are more decent big available that might fit in with the 2010 plan. I have Bolded the players who's teams have been previously identified as being interested in cap savings…

A suggested trade Haywood + Filler for Bowen and Oberto + cash for buyouts. A scenario that works for SA is D. Mcguire (SF/PF tweener), Crittendon (PG), and Haywood. Mcguire and Crittendon are young but not impressive... Alternatively, there might be a 3 way deal out there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want John Salmons and Joakim Noah from the Bulls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pad300 I definitely agree that Bruce's Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts are great assets. I think Spurs should be able to get something good for them.

Saying that, the Okur trade you propose isn't realistic at all. There is no way Utah will trade Okur for Bonner just to lower their payroll of $1.8M.
    It also doesn't make much basketball sense because it doesn't give the Spurs anything they don't already have. This roster is long on one-dimensional shooters and short on length, quickness and athleticism. They need more of the latter and less of the former.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you know why the original trade is stupid.......not saying your idea is stupid........it is stupid cause we should have drafted Gasol instead of Marcus Williams.......then we wouldnt have to suggest these silly trades to get him.

D.I.R.T.Y. till we die manufor3's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my first post here...

The following is what I think the Spurs need:

- A scorer at the SF position.
    - Someone who can get their own shot.
    - Someone that can defend the pesky PFs of the league (Dirk, Odom etc)
    - Someone who has size so they can slide to the PF position.
    - Athleticism.
    - Someone with a modest sized contract.
    - Someone with a good head on their shoulders.
    - Whilst being able to pass and rebound and shoot the three ball.

I think there is someone out there that could be available to fill ALL those needs. Caron Butler. Wizards are apparently looking to cut the payroll and obviously nobody is going to take on Arenas' contract and that therefore leaves either Jamison or Caron to be traded if they are to cut the payroll.

What can we do to get Caron? Whilst other teams definitely could offer more then we could, something like this would be the base of the deal:

Obviously we would probably need to add in a future 1st and 2nd round draft pick. We could even offer to throw in (even though I don't like the idea of it but would still pull the trigger if we get to keep our future first round pick) George Hill. Suddenly an offer of two partially guaranteed contracts, a future second round pick and George Hill doesn't seem too shabby of an offer. Other teams potentially could still offer more though.

Late in the games where Pop likes to use Duncan at the 5 with 2 SF's and 2 Guards the lineup would be perfect with:

C: Duncan
    PF: Butler
    SF: Finley/Bowen/Udoka?
    SG: Ginobili
    PG: Parker

That is a deadly lineup!

Or, if we throw the MLE at Sheed as predicted it would be:

C: Sheed
    PF: Duncan
    SF: Butler

That is a great mix of Defense and Offense if you ask me.

Anyway, I think Caron would be perfect... Get on it Pop!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope the Spurs are at least considering trades of this magnitude, but I have a sneaking su ion the Spurs big move of the off-season will be signing someone like Dahntay Jones or Rodney Carney for 1/3 of the MLE.

BTW, watching Scola play against the Lakers gives me an ulcer. "A bigger Ginobili"... basically, it looks like all the reasons the Spurs gave for giving up on him have turned out completely false. He's gritty, unselfish, and can make a 15 footer. Sorry, I needed to vent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my first post here...

The following is what I think the Spurs need:

- A scorer at the SF position.
    - Someone who can get their own shot.
    - Someone that can defend the pesky PFs of the league (Dirk, Odom etc)
    - Someone who has size so they can slide to the PF position.
    - Athleticism.
    - Someone with a modest sized contract.
    - Someone with a good head on their shoulders.
    - Whilst being able to pass and rebound and shoot the three ball.

I think there is someone out there that could be available to fill ALL those needs. Caron Butler. Wizards are apparently looking to cut the payroll and obviously nobody is going to take on Arenas' contract and that therefore leaves either Jamison or Caron to be traded if they are to cut the payroll.

What can we do to get Caron? Whilst other teams definitely could offer more then we could, something like this would be the base of the deal:

Obviously we would probably need to add in a future 1st and 2nd round draft pick. We could even offer to throw in (even though I don't like the idea of it but would still pull the trigger if we get to keep our future first round pick) George Hill. Suddenly an offer of two partially guaranteed contracts, a future second round pick and George Hill doesn't seem too shabby of an offer. Other teams potentially could still offer more though.

Late in the games where Pop likes to use Duncan at the 5 with 2 SF's and 2 Guards the lineup would be perfect with:

C: Duncan
    PF: Butler
    SF: Finley/Bowen/Udoka?

That is a deadly lineup!

Or, if we throw the MLE at Sheed as predicted it would be:

C: Sheed
    PF: Duncan
    SF: Butler

That is a great mix of Defense and Offense if you ask me.

Anyway, I think Caron would be perfect... Get on it Pop!!!!
    Lets see what Washington's place in the lottery is first before suggesting anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2010 FA's, if traded for, will not disrupt the Spurs own 2010 plan. (I expect the Spurs to hold to that plan, unless someone offers them a star level player eg. Caron Butler on the cheap).

2010 FA's
    Balkman (DEN), Dorell Wright (MIA), Mike Miller (MIN), Selafosha (OKC), Outlaw (POR)

A suggested trade Haywood + Filler for Bowen and Oberto + cash for buyouts. A scenario that works for SA is D. Mcguire (SF/PF tweener), Crittendon (PG), and Haywood. Mcguire and Crittendon are young but not impressive... Alternatively, there might be a 3 way deal out there
    Caron Butler, Sefolosha and McGuire are all players high on my wishlist, so I'd be pretty damn happy if the Spurs could land one of them.

Caron's probably a bit of a pipe dream, but Thabo and McGuire seem a bit more realistic.(Although, Thabo definitely less realistic than McGuire)

Thabo and McGuire would both go a long way in filling the void soon to be left by Bowen defensively-Thabo being a little more physical version of D. Christie and McGuire leaning more towards Posey- but both also bring a versatilty at the offensive-end with their ability to play the point-forward role.

I really think this team should be looking to move into a somewhat "Showtime" style of play.

With Tony being one of the best open-court points in the league and Tim beginning to go the way of Kareem, it would not only benefit both of them quite well on the court, but it's also easier to fill in a roster with guys who can run the floor and defend on the cheap. Hill and Mahinmi would both thrive in a more up-tempo game and a guy like Gist might even turn into a poor-man's Worthy. (A very, very, poor-man's version)

If I had it my way next year, the Spurs would have the Big 3, they'd keep a couple of veteran shooters and bigs with playoff savvy, and then fill out the roster with younger players who bring versatility and energy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen + Oberto + Bonner + Finley = $13.1 mil in potential salary to take back. Mason and Thomas add another $7.7 mil to that. I wouldn't factor in the ability to take up to 115% of that due to the MLE, LLE and Lux Tax considerations.

The Spurs could really revamp the roster this offseason and/or by the trade deadline next February.

I'd kinda like to see them look for multiple deals and perhaps land a pick or two.

Given that Bowen and Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts would enable a team to erase $3.8 mil off their payroll next season, they should be able to find an attractive deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bring Bowen back after they cut him, try to lure Sheed (or Dice, if not then Gooden) with the MLE.
    wow, best idea i've ever seen on this board...NICE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any players with more desirable partially-guaranteed contracts than Bruce and Fab?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any players with more desirable partially-guaranteed contracts than Bruce and Fab?
    None that I know of. I guess they could always persuade Horry to come out of retirement for a day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None that I know of. I guess they could always persuade Horry to come out of retirement for a day.
    Would it be reasonable to assume that if a team wants to shed payroll in a trade, the Spurs are the first team they call?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would it be reasonable to assume that if a team wants to shed payroll in a trade, the Spurs are the first team they call?
    The three teams with cap space (MEM, DET, and OKC) as well as Portland (Blake and Outlaw's contracts are 100% unguaranteed) and Dallas (only 2M of Stackhouse's 7.25M deal is guaranteed) can all offer more salary cap relief in a trade than the Spurs can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many of those want to?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many of those want to?
    I have no idea, I suppose it would depend on the player available, the price tag, and the needs of the acquiring team. I was just answering the question as to whether the Spurs would be the first team called by a team looking to shed salary. There are at least five teams that could offer more.

One other thing to consider. If the Spurs want to use the MLE, they are going to have to shed salary themselves (unless you believe they are going to exceed the tax). The easiest way for the Spurs to shed salary will be to cut Oberto and Bowen. If they trade those two for contracts of the same size, they are probably going to have to give up assets (Hill, draft picks) to get some team to take another contract (Bonner, Thomas, Mason) off the books.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want to keep Bruce, can they cut him and then resign him for the league minimum?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they want to keep Bruce, can they cut him and then resign him for the league minimum?
    yes

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the teams that trade for Bowen (well basically all teams) will probably buy him out because of his partially gauranteed contract... Spurs might sign him back if that happens, who knows. He has 1-2 seasons left, at BEST.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The three teams with cap space (MEM, DET, and OKC) as well as Portland (Blake and Outlaw's contracts are 100% unguaranteed) and Dallas (only 2M of Stackhouse's 7.25M deal is guaranteed) can all offer more salary cap relief in a trade than the Spurs can.
    Oh ya. Cleveland's Sasha Pavlovic is partially unguaranteed as well. He can be bought out for 1 million.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    add Denver, they have a 9.8 million TE from the Camby trade.
    and Miami has a 4.3 million TE, this competes in terms of dump pure potential, but can't be combined with another contract. (so they can swallow a contract of 5.4 million, but not, for example, a player like Miller, Sjax, Camby, VC etc...)

Thread Information