Page 36 of 143 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ played his best ball with Jason Kidd. I'm sure he'd go back to being a respectable NBA player with Nash sending the rock his way in positions to score constantly.
    You actually have a point - however...

What do you do w/ Nash after next year when TD is gone? Nash isn't the answer. The answer is a PG like Nash who is pass 1st and shoot 2nd.

I say trade TP AND RJ (there simply shouldn't be a trade TP option w/o trading RJ - the only reason to trade TP IS to get rid of RJ) to New York for Chancey Billups. A 3rd team might have to get involved, like Detroit or Dallas to pick up RJ.

Trading TP w/o trading RJ for another PG makes no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it doesn't really matter what happens after TD is gone. It is really hard to win championships, realistically it could take generations to get back on top. Like i said, all out to win 1 more championship next year, after TD and Nash retire together, then rebuild. Nash isn't the answer for the future, just could be the answer for one more le run with Timmeh next season.

Hey i'd love to trade RJ and know that we'd have to include Tony to deal him, but so far this offseason nobody wants anything to do with RJ even with Tony involved in the deal unfortunately. I just think if worse comes to worse and we are stuck with RJ yet again, Steve Nash is the man to get him back on track and revitalize tim at the same time:-) Kindof a plan B you know.

But here's to hoping they can swing some sort of deal to get RJ out of town.
    Last edited by Russo21; 06-26-2011 at 10:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 more days..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lockout begins and no trades will be possible until after a new CBA is signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's doubtful a trade will happen before the lockout. Teams don't do trades between the draft and the July moratorium. There is less than one trade per year during that period. This year could be different because of the lockout but I won't bet the farm on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard Biedrins name be mentioned a few times, here is a trade the rockets offered for him; and in terms of what pieces are reasonable to ask for him; if the Spurs went that route.

Rockets Want Biedrins, Offer Hill and Thabeet

I’ve been told the Rockets have offered Hasheem Thabeet and Jordan Hill. Haven’t confirmed if they were offered as a package, but the figures add up. Thabeet, a former No. 2 overall pick, is widely regarded as someone who simply not good enough to play in the NBA and probably won’t be. There is still some hope for Jordan Hill, but he’s got a Post-It note on his back that says “stiff.”
    http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2011...away-biedrins/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's doubtful a trade will happen before the lockout. Teams don't do trades between the draft and the July moratorium. There is less than one trade per year during that period. This year could be different because of the lockout but I won't bet the farm on it.
    While you seem to be the voice of reason on this issue, I wonder if Pop and RC's apparent enthusiam in doing a trade for someone to help Tim might hasten things along. Guess we'll know by Thursday.
    After that, and the CBA is resolved, how do you see it panning out trade wise as far as a timeline. You certainly want to start training camp with a plan.
    I guess we all can dream, but some of the scenarios that TD21 was talking about make a lot of sense and would make my summer more worry free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While you seem to be the voice of reason on this issue, I wonder if Pop and RC's apparent enthusiam in doing a trade for someone to help Tim might hasten things along. Guess we'll know by Thursday.
    After that, and the CBA is resolved, how do you see it panning out trade wise as far as a timeline. You certainly want to start training camp with a plan.
    Spurs will likely be one of the team that will try the most to a trade before the lockout. The main reason is that one of their best trade asset is Dice partially guaranteed contract and this trade asset must be used before July. IMO, a lot of team are waiting the new CBA to make moves and that's why the draft day featured very few trades.

When there will have a new CBA, it will be followed by a trade and signing period before the start of training camps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will likely be one of the team that will try the most to a trade before the lockout. The main reason is that one of their best trade asset is Dice partially guaranteed contract and this trade asset must be used before July. IMO, a lot of team are waiting the new CBA to make moves and that's why the draft day featured very few trades.

When there will have a new CBA, it will be followed by a trade and signing period before the start of training camps.
    so teams can still trade after july 1st when the lockout officially begins?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me it doesn't really matter what happens after TD is gone. It is really hard to win championships, realistically it could take generations to get back on top. Like i said, all out to win 1 more championship next year, after TD and Nash retire together, then rebuild. Nash isn't the answer for the future, just could be the answer for one more le run with Timmeh next season.

Hey i'd love to trade RJ and know that we'd have to include Tony to deal him, but so far this offseason nobody wants anything to do with RJ even with Tony involved in the deal unfortunately. I just think if worse comes to worse and we are stuck with RJ yet again, Steve Nash is the man to get him back on track and revitalize tim at the same time:-) Kindof a plan B you know.

But here's to hoping they can swing some sort of deal to get RJ out of town.
    Ya know, I'd be interested in someone doing the research (not me, I'm too lazy) to see when the last time any team that had a PF or C that WASN'T drafted in the top 5-10 pics win a championship. Along w/ that, when was the last time a team had any player who wasn't drafted in the top 5 win one. I think back to the Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs...all have players drafted 1 or 2.

Point I'm making, the best way to win a championship is to either draft or trade for a franchise PF or C. PGs, SGs and even elite SFs come and go...you've GOT to have an elite player on the front line to go deep. And sometimes, that isn't even enough (ask the Magic).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so teams can still trade after july 1st when the lockout officially begins?
    No, teams can't do trades or sign players during a lockout. At the end of the lockout, teams will be able to do trades and sign free agents before the start of a new season. For most of the teams, it doesn't make sense to their move now just before the lockout. It is easier to wait the end of a lockout when the new CBA will be known.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thank you. After July 1st do we have to pay Dice his partial guarantee before he retires?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you. After July 1st do we have to pay Dice his partial guarantee before he retires?
    Before july 1st, Dice is only guaranteed a portion of his salary. After July 1st the entirety of his salary is guaranteed. This is why the FO would want to trade him before July 1st. He loses his trade value after that date (actually Nov 1st, but the NBA could still be in the lockout then and trades can't happen during the lockout.). A team can save a lot of luxury tax $ if they trade for Dice then cut him, thus only owing a portion of his salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hear me out on this idea. With Hill gone, the possibility of trading TP probably disappeared too. I was never crazy about trading him, but hey, no one is untouchable in this business. So what if we got a pretty good PG to replace him for virtually nothing in the way of tearing up the roster or draft choices?

That guy Spanoulis is supposed to be available according to several posted sources. I know there are lots of folks who just don't like his at ude about going back to his home country, but isn't he supposed to be one of the best PGs in Europe?

If so, and we brought him in as TP backup--and he worked out as an NBA talent--this might make it possible to trade TP/RJ or Spanoulis/RJ/Dice for a really good PF by Feb. trade deadline. That way we only carry two PG salaries for half a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There would be only 2 scenarios I can envision for trading TP:

1). It allows the Spurs to rid themselves of RJ and would provide a decent starting PG in his place (like Billups or Bayless or Heinrich) or at least someone w/ somewhat decent decision making and leadership. In other words, no rookies or supposed very good Euros.

2). It somehow brings Dwight Howard to San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard Biedrins name be mentioned a few times, here is a trade the rockets offered for him; and in terms of what pieces are reasonable to ask for him; if the Spurs went that route.

Rockets Want Biedrins, Offer Hill and Thabeet

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2011...away-biedrins/
    I quite like Biedrins. The Rockets offer of Jordan Hill (5point 4 rebound average) and Hasheem Thabeet (1 point 1 rebound) is piss poor in my oppinion. The Warriors could do much better then that for Biedrins. It definately would be worth a phone call from the spurs front office and see if we have anything the Warriors would like for him. (it's not hard to beat houstons offer)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before july 1st, Dice is only guaranteed a portion of his salary. After July 1st the entirety of his salary is guaranteed. This is why the FO would want to trade him before July 1st. He loses his trade value after that date (actually Nov 1st, but the NBA could still be in the lockout then and trades can't happen during the lockout.). A team can save a lot of luxury tax $ if they trade for Dice then cut him, thus only owing a portion of his salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That guy Spanoulis is supposed to be available according to several posted sources. I know there are lots of folks who just don't like his at ude about going back to his home country, but isn't he supposed to be one of the best PGs in Europe?

If so, and we brought him in as TP backup--and he worked out as an NBA talent--this might make it possible to trade TP/RJ or Spanoulis/RJ/Dice for a really good PF by Feb. trade deadline. That way we only carry two PG salaries for half a year.
    Spurs aren't interest in Spanoulis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One possible trade, before july 1, could be with Toronto as our partner...that's 'cause this trade could involve all their "long term" contracts.
    After the Valenciounas choice, maybe they decided to start rebuilding from zero.

Her's the deal :

RJ + Dice contract + Bonner for Bargnani + A. Jhonson + Kleiza

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe we can sucker Toronto into taking Spanoulis. But they only seem to draft tall, skinny pale Euro-crackers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would be wise to see about getting Anderson from Orlando. Poss sending RJ to Orlando for Anderson and one of their bad contracts Turk, Nelson, Gil ect....
    As much as I want R.J gone, I'd keep him over Turkoglu, Nelson or Arenas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as you don't move one of the big 3 to get rid of RJ, I don't care who we take back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biedrins makes no sense, both financially and fit wise. Splitter is a similar player, only he's significantly cheaper, more skilled and has a higher upside. And if you've listened to Buford and to a lesser extent Pop, they've made it clear they view Duncan/Splitter as their C's and are focused on replacing McDyess, with a PF who can shoot.

That's why I keep bringing up Thomas, because in addition to his contract being digestible -- if the Spurs can offload Jefferson -- and him being probably attainable for what the Spurs have to offer, he's not a massive liability in any of these three areas: shooting, defending, rebounding. The same can't be said for Splitter, Blair or Bonner.

Two minor trades the Spurs could make using McDyess' contract if they fail to acquire a starting PF . . .

1) McDyess for Dooling. The Bucks have Jennings, Udrih and Livingston at PG. The Spurs could pay the $500, 000 difference in guaranteed salary. Dooling is similar to Hill, in that he's a combo guard, who can defend, is an okay three-point shooter and he's Spurs material. Serviceable backup, with only one year left on his contract. I'd prefer him to Watson.

2) McDyess for Tolliver. Same general reasoning. The Wolves are overloaded with bigs/shooting fours and Kahn recently talked about giving players who there's no longer room for a chance to play elsewhere, like they did with Flynn. The Spurs could pay the 500, 000 difference in guaranteed salary. I like this one less, because Tolliver is not starting material, but he would fill the need for a fifth big/additional shooting four and he only has one year left on his contract.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that it'd be worth it to get Ryan Anderson. We know from the lineup numbers that the Spurs have been an offensive juggernaut with Matt Bonner. I'd guess that that's related to having that type of player on the court(Big with a good outside shot), rather than anything magical about Bonner. If we got the same sorts of results, with a slight decrease in offensive efficiency(40% 3pt shooting instead of 48%), but an increase in rebounding %, that lineup could dominate.

Would the Magic give up Anderson and Duhon for Dyess. We dominate the skill/talent stakes by getting Anderson, but the Magic are into the tax, paying Duhon 3.5 million for the next 3 years and he was their 3rd PG, and terrible last year. Though, quite a bit to take on as dead weight with Duhon.

Thread Information