Page 40 of 143 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 3559
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see an incentive for the Kings if Spurs throw their first next year. They'd receive a big in Blair that's perfect for the 15-20 minutes that will be available at the back up PF spot and at the same time receive a first rounder for next season. Not saying it's highly likely, but it's an idea I'd flirt with if I'm the Spurs.

And I actually think Thompson would be a good fit next to TD and Splitter, he doesn't have your implied Amare-like athleticism/mobility but how many quality bigs in the NBA have that type of athleticism? (Less than a handful)

One thing I do know for sure, he definitely would be the Spurs' most mobile and versatile big on the roster. Factor in his great size and his ability to knock down the 12-18 footer and I believe he'd be a great fit with the Spurs.

All in all, attaining a high quality big with elite athleticism to start at the four next year is pretty much impossible. Therefore, the Spurs have to compromise on the desired targets to some degree (which I'm sure they're aware of). That being said, Thompson is one of the few quality/versatile PF's out there that could be attainable for a reasonable trading price. Spurs would be wise to look into the scenario. IMO
    Definitely, if the Spurs throw in their '12 1st, that would more than give the Kings incentive. I wouldn't do it for Thompson, though. I realize the Spurs need a tall big, who can shoot and preferably a young one, who's not overly expensive. Which narrows their options considerably. But Blair had a 17.20 PER last season. Better than Rondo, Marion, M. Gasol and Bogut (though he did play injured), to name a few. Thompson had a 13.59 PER (league average is 15). Sure, it doesn't account for defense, but Thompson is a sub par defender too and he's 3 years older. In other words, Blair is the better player now and has a higher upside. Throw in the 1st and it becomes even more lopsided.

Thompson would be a better compliment to Duncan offensively, but he wouldn't help defensively, which is their supposed goal. It doesn't have to be a big with freakish athleticism, just someone who's at least slightly above league average athletically.

It's not even improbable, much less close to impossible. I'm confident the Spurs have the assets to acquire Thomas if they want to. Is he a "high quality big"? Not quite. But he had an 18.25 PER last season, so he's trending in that direction. And at his age (25 later this year) it's possible there's still upside left, despite him having played five seasons already. He's also the type of athlete/defensive presence that has been lacking next to Duncan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely, if the Spurs throw in their '12 1st, that would more than give the Kings incentive. I wouldn't do it for Thompson, though. I realize the Spurs need a tall big, who can shoot and preferably a young one, who's not overly expensive. Which narrows their options considerably. But Blair had a 17.20 PER last season. Better than Rondo, Marion, M. Gasol and Bogut (though he did play injured), to name a few. Thompson had a 13.59 PER (league average is 15). Sure, it doesn't account for defense, but Thompson is a sub par defender too and he's 3 years older. In other words, Blair is the better player now and has a higher upside. Throw in the 1st and it becomes even more lopsided.

Thompson would be a better compliment to Duncan offensively, but he wouldn't help defensively, which is their supposed goal. It doesn't have to be a big with freakish athleticism, just someone who's at least slightly above league average athletically.

It's not even improbable, much less close to impossible. I'm confident the Spurs have the assets to acquire Thomas if they want to. Is he a "high quality big"? Not quite. But he had an 18.25 PER last season, so he's trending in that direction. And at his age (25 later this year) it's possible there's still upside left, despite him having played five seasons already. He's also the type of athlete/defensive presence that has been lacking next to Duncan.
    I wasn't as high on Jason Thompson up until the last 2 months of last season. I watched the Kings quite often (don't ask why) and if you took out the age factor I'd say Thompson was the better prospect than Cousins from the play of the last 5 weeks of the season. He really surprised me on both ends. He totally looked like a different player during this time. (If you didn't watch him during this time, you are cutting this player a little short-- he's underrated.)

As for Thomas, I'd love Tyrus as well. I just don't think Bobcats would want to get rid of their best big on the roster for what the Spurs have to offer.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 07-05-2011 at 08:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if theres a center available and 7'0 in size, should take it...we cant do wrong here when we won les with rasho

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love Tyrus as well, I just don't think Bobcats would want to get rid of their best big on the roster for what the Spurs have to offer.
    It's all about money. They're a notoriously cheap organization. They just drafted a similar PF, in Biyombo. Besides Biyombo and Thomas, they have four other PF's (Diaw/White/Cunningham/Najera). So there's quan y, if not quality, at the position. Throw in the fact that their new GM, Cho, talked about potentially having to take one step back to take two steps forward and I could see them being willing to dump Thomas. I'm not saying it won't require value. But the Spurs can give them not only value, but inexpensive value, in Blair. They can give them financial relief, in McDyess. And if that doesn't do it for them, they can throw in one of Butler or Green. With the Bobcats having only Maggette and Cunningham (who's more of a PF) at SF, they could actually use either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all about money. They're a notoriously cheap organization. They just drafted a similar PF, in Biyombo. Besides Biyombo and Thomas, they have four other PF's (Diaw/White/Cunningham/Najera). So there's quan y, if not quality, at the position. Throw in the fact that their new GM, Cho, talked about potentially having to take one step back to take two steps forward and I could see them being willing to dump Thomas. I'm not saying it won't require value. But the Spurs can give them not only value, but inexpensive value, in Blair. They can give them financial relief, in McDyess. And if that doesn't do it for them, they can throw in one of Butler or Green. With the Bobcats having only Maggette and Cunningham (who's more of a PF) at SF, they could actually use either.

I wish I was as optimistic as you when I thought of the likelihood of attaining Thomas, but I just don't see it. Bobcats are paper thin at the 5 spot, and I think Biyombo will spend most of his minutes there. At the same time, Diaw is on his way out of town after this year (along with Najera and White), making Thomas the only PF on the books for the 12'-13' season. Even with Thomas, Bobcats are scheduled to be well under the cap this year and next. The only way I see the Bobcats being interested is if Spurs took back Diop's contract and I don't see the Spurs doing that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish I was as optimistic as you when I thought of the likelihood of attaining Thomas, but I just don't see it. Bobcats are paper thin at the 5 spot, and I think Biyombo will spend most of his minutes there. At the same time, Diaw is on his way out of town after this year (along with Najera and White), making Thomas the only PF on the books for the 12'-13' season. Even with Thomas, Bobcats are scheduled to be well under the cap this year and next. The only way I see the Bobcats being interested is if Spurs took back Diop's contract and I don't see the Spurs doing that.
    I wouldn't say I'm optimistic. Even though I think the Spurs have the assets to acquire him, there's the matter of his contract. The only way I could see the Spurs taking it on is if they're able to rid themselves of Jefferson.

You're probably right about Biyombo playing the majority of his minutes at the five though. Diaw and Najera are definitely not in the future plans and White and Cunningham are filler. Like I said, not much quality, but the point is, they're not completely bare either. Plus, they'd be getting back a PF, in Blair.

Under the cap or not, this is a notoriously cheap team. This trade would allow them to save a ton, while getting back a comparable player (in terms of production), who's three years younger.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that the Kings actively try to trade Thompson after the Hickson acquisition. Cousins, Hickson and Thompson are all still pretty unknown commodities, they should try for at least one year how this pans out.
    I think this 3 players do compliment each other pretty well on paper (with the exception that none is a top defender), the Kings might have a very good and versatile 3 men big rotation for years to come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Thompson idea is a good one, MaNu4Tres. He was in the doghouse earlier this year when Landry was playing in Sacramento. JJ Hickson arrival could have a similar effect on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wouldn't call it doghouse. don't forget the Kings had Dalembert on the roster as well and Westphal went with the veterans Dalembert-Landry over the young bigs at the beginning of the season. they might have thought Kings are a PO team already (especially after a 3-1 start), till they learned that they are still far from that level.
    however, I didn't want to say that Thompson isn't intriguing as a player, I just think the arrival of Hickson doesn't automatically put him on the block. the quality gap between Cousins, Hickson and Thompson and the next best bigs is huge (Jackson, Whiteside), so they will think twice till they make Thompson available.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wouldn't call it doghouse. don't forget the Kings had Dalembert on the roster as well and Westphal went with the veterans Dalembert-Landry over the young bigs at the beginning of the season. they might have thought Kings are a PO team already (especially after a 3-1 start), till they learned that they are still far from that level.
    however, I didn't want to say that Thompson isn't intriguing as a player, I just think the arrival of Hickson doesn't automatically put him on the block. the quality gap between Cousins, Hickson and Thompson and the next best bigs is huge (Jackson, Whiteside), so they will think twice till they make Thompson available.
    With his contract about to expire after next year, I'm pretty sure Thompson is more than available for the right price.

A Blair + Butler or Green + Spurs' 12' 1st for Thompson and their 12' 2nd rounder would be a nice move for the Spurs and the Kings IMO.

Spurs could even offer Bonner and next years 1st for Thompson straight up, but I doubt the Spurs would even consider that unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doghouse was a little strong but Kings trading for Hickson isn't a good sign. This trade means that Kings don't see Thompson as starting material since their starting frontcourt will be Hickson and Cousins. Thompson could be a key player from the bench like Odom is with the Lakers but I'm not sold on that because Kings interior defense would be then weak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thompson would be sweet if the Spurs could get him, happily give up Blair for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd trade Blair for Thompson in a heartbeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doghouse was a little strong but Kings trading for Hickson isn't a good sign. This trade means that Kings don't see Thompson as starting material since their starting frontcourt will be Hickson and Cousins. Thompson could be a key player from the bench like Odom is with the Lakers but I'm not sold on that because Kings interior defense would be then weak.
    Thompson would be sweet if the Spurs could get him, happily give up Blair for him.
    I'd trade Blair for Thompson in a heartbeat.
    I am not so quick to pull the trigger on a thompson trade and I really dont think the spurs would either unless maybe as a last resort. The primary problem is simple, $. Thompson is due to make 3+ mil and then become a FA the following season. I might make this trade only if the Kings want to dump him for mcdyess's contract but not Blair who is only making a 1mil and is under contract for 2 more seasons. Thompson in my mind really has not proven much in the NBA and I believe he would be no more than a reserve anyways. The primary reason the spurs hinted at moving Hill was becasue they did not want to resign him after the following season for big money, how would the Thompson trade be anything different?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not so quick to pull the trigger on a thompson trade and I really dont think the spurs would either unless maybe as a last resort. The primary problem is simple, $. Thompson is due to make 3+ mil and then become a FA the following season. I might make this trade only if the Kings want to dump him for mcdyess's contract but not Blair who is only making a 1mil and is under contract for 2 more seasons. Thompson in my mind really has not proven much in the NBA and I believe he would be no more than a reserve anyways. The primary reason the spurs hinted at moving Hill was becasue they did not want to resign him after the following season for big money, how would the Thompson trade be anything different?
    Simple, it's all about demand and roster balance. Spurs' deepest position was the shooting guard position and still is. That being said, Spurs weren't going to overpay a player at a position where there's significant depth playing for close the minimum already. (Even if they had the money, they wouldn't have kept Hill, it's not smart basketball business with the way the roster is constructed.)

That is not the same scenario for the power forward position, where the Spurs are relatively thin in terms of talent. Spurs have a need for a player like Thompson in the front-court (length-size-skill-set wise), therefore Spurs would have reason to make a trade for him with the intention in giving him a modest extension. IMO
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 07-06-2011 at 02:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple, it's all about demand and roster balance. Spurs' deepest position was the shooting guard position and still is. That being said, Spurs weren't going to overpay a player at a position where there's significant depth playing for close the minimum already.

That is not the same scenario for the power forward position, where the Spurs are relatively thin in terms of talent. Spurs have a need for a player like Thompson in the front-court (length-size-skill-set wise), therefore Spurs would have reason to make a trade for him with the intention in giving him a modest extension. IMO
    Agree with the need part, but disagree with Thompson being able to fill that need..I have only seen Thomspn play and handfull of times so I will not pretend to know this guy very well, but when I did see him play he looked like a player who preferred to play outside and quite simply did not like ot play inside with the bigs..Like I said, for mcdyess contract, yes, Blair, no..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with the need part, but disagree with Thompson being able to fill that need..I have only seen Thomspn play and handfull of times so I will not pretend to know this guy very well, but when I did see him play he looked like a player who preferred to play outside and quite simply did not like ot play inside with the bigs..Like I said, for mcdyess contract, yes, Blair, no..
    I disagree, this Thompson kid is underrated. No he's not a future All-Star or anything like that, but the kid is solid in many phases and showed nice progress finishing strong and competing in the paint at the end of last season. He is very versatile offensively, being able to not only spot up but put the ball on the floor and go the hole and finish strong. He's not a premier defender or anything like that, but he is more than capable on that end of the floor with this length and athleticism. I watched him quite a bit at the end of last season and he impressed me more so than Cousins.

IMO Thompson would fill in a need and would be the Spurs' second best big behind Duncan and ahead of Splitter IMO. You have to remember as well, Spurs don't have attractive trading assets, nor do they have the money to sign a quality free agent big man in free agency. IMO Thompson could be the Spurs' most realistic and best possible PF target to go after this off-season (considering their trading assets and money).

Spurs should go after this kid, even at the expense of Blair.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, this Thompson kid is underrated. No he's not a future All-Star or anything like that, but the kid is solid in many phases and showed nice progress finishing strong and competing in the paint at the end of last season. He is very versatile offensively, being able to not only spot up but put the ball on the floor and go the hole and finish strong. He's not a premier defender or anything like that, but he is more than capable on that end of the floor with this length and athleticism. I watched him quite a bit at the end of last season and he impressed me more so than Cousins.

IMO Thompson would fill in a need and would be the Spurs' second best big behind Duncan and ahead of Splitter IMO. You have to remember as well, Spurs don't have attractive trading assets, nor do they have the money to sign a quality free agent big man in free agency. IMO Thompson could be the Spurs' most realistic and best possible PF target to go after this off-season (considering their trading assets and money).

I'm not a big highlight guy, but here's a fairly new highlight video of plays from last season:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not a big highlight guy, but here's a fairly new highlight video of plays from last season:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm convinced on JT... Blair's biggest asset to the Spurs is his cheap contract. Love the heart, but his size is sadly a liability. If he's the cost for a swap for a big like JT then so be it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    once more, if there is a chance to get Thompson for let's say Blair plus 2012 1st rounder, it's a no brainer. but I still doubt that he is available. his expiring contract doesn't mean he isn't affordable for the Kings after 2012. he is restricted anyhow. and they could still trade him at deadline, if the rotation of Cousins-Hickson-Thompson doesn't work.

however, I guess we all agree that the Spurs need a PF. (I wrote in the other thread we should go for Landry, but I'm aware that we likely don't have enough money)
    Marreese Speights reportedly is available. ok, he isn't starter material yet, so he isn't the solution. just mention him. would we trade Blair for him? (based on size and upside)

another situation we should watch is Toronto and Valanciunas. word is he won't come over this year, but there were also reports that he has his buy out for 2 million Euro in place. so it could happen, if the lock out doesn't last long. and if he goes to Toronto, Amir Johnson might be available.
    Spurs once offered Johnson a pretty nice contract that was matched by the Pistons, that was not without a reason. he has improved a lot since then. still limited on offense, but no longer a non factor on offense. in fact pretty efficient in what he does. and he is the type of mobile big defender and shot blocker the Spurs desperately need. he has a long term contract, the Raptors might be willing to dump him for Dice and Blair. good deal for both sides IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair and the '12 1st for Thompson isn't a no brainer. Blair is a significantly more efficient player, is three years younger and has an extra year before he's due a significant raise. Throw in the '12 1st in what's projected to be a very deep draft and that's not a good trade for the Spurs.

Speights has a higher upside than Thompson. The problem with him is he has a reputation for being lazy and defenseless. Thompson is known for being soft, which is the exact opposite of what this team needs. Neither would help with the Spurs stated goal of getting back to being a top 5-7 defensive team.

Johnson is a name I've thought of before. He's similar to Thomas and unlike Thomas, personality wise, he's Spurs material. The problem with him is he's better suited to being a third big than a starter. Which would be fine if he weren't being paid $7 million annually for the next 4 seasons. The other problem is he's a PF in an SF's body (he weighs 210) and he's extremely foul prone. I could see the Spurs being interested, but only if they're able to dump Jefferson's contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2012 first round pick is Spurs' best trade asset. I wouldn't give it up for Jason Thompson. Blair is the most I would offer for him and if Kings don't like that, they can keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other problem is he's a PF in an SF's body (he weighs 210) and he's extremely foul prone.
    the foul troubles are in fact the major issue about Johnson's game. but I don't see his weight as a major issue. btw. I don't think the 210 are still accurate, some players are still listed with the weight they had when they entered the league, even if they obviously have gained some weight. I think he is something like 220-225 right now. but yes, he will always struggle against bigger players in the post, but that's the price for having a PF quick enough to defend the perimeter. much like Tyrus Thomas in this regard and TT did have quite some fans on this board, when there were reports the Spurs are interested in trading for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jason Thompson>Amir Johnson> Maurice Speights.

Blair + Butler for Jason Thompson-- Get it done R.C!

Thread Information