Page 9 of 143 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???

Didn't you just agree with Bruno that if Finley picks up his option the Spurs would try and use him to trade for a big? Or did I miss Bruno's point?

Either way, I still say the Spurs should just go use the MLE on a big and worry about Finley later.
    I meant if Finley does pick up his option. That only makes Mason more expendable and Mason has realistic value to be packaged with Bonner to bring in a quality big man to play next to Tim, that's if the Spurs don't land their target for the 4/5 spot via Free Agency.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with dumping Finley to a team under the cap or with a TE big enough isn't that easy. Teams with cap space are often in rebuilding mode and Finley has no value for these teams. Spurs had a hard time dumping Jackie Butler salary 2 years ago. Detroit hasn't been able to fully dump Amir Johnson contract this year.

Take aside scrubs, players that aren't available and players with a too big salary and there should have about an half dozen big man who could be trade targets. Spurs can see if they can get one of these players. It's not like it will take them the whole July month and will prevent them to go after FA.
    Fair points. Finley being an expiring contract makes moving him a little easier. I haven't checked trade exceptions, but if a GM for a team going nowhere has one that's about to expire they could probably be talked in to taking Finley so long as the Spurs kick in some cash. Easy opportunity to make a few bucks for the owner without giving up anything.

I meant if Finley does pick up his option. That only makes Mason more expendable and Mason has realistic value to be packaged with Bonner to bring in a quality big man to play next to Tim, that's if the Spurs don't land their target for the 4/5 spot via Free Agency.
    I gotcha. My mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only trade I'd really be pushing would be for Tyson Chandler. They obviously want to sell - it's just a matter of what you can give them. A trade of Mason/Bonner/Mahinmi might work. It offers some youth, a viable rotation player in Mason and a spare big (they love shooters). Plus, they all come off the books soon. Chandler would set us up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs are set for now. I don't see any big trades coming until the deadline. there is still FA to land a big man, plus that gives us time to assess our talent and see what we truly need. We might find a gem in FA and not make any moves, or we may need major help and package Bonner, Mason and maybe Finley (if he doesn't opt out) for a big man on a team that is trying to free up cap space for the offseason. Jefferson makes this team a major contender in need of minor adjustments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with dumping Finley to a team under the cap or with a TE big enough isn't that easy. Teams with cap space are often in rebuilding mode and Finley has no value for these teams. Spurs had a hard time dumping Jackie Butler salary 2 years ago. Detroit hasn't been able to fully dump Amir Johnson contract this year.

Take aside scrubs, players that aren't available and players with a too big salary and there should have about an half dozen big man who could be trade targets. Spurs can see if they can get one of these players. It's not like it will take them the whole July month and will prevent them to go after FA.
    Move Finley with Bonner for a decent reserve bigman (ie Foster) and sign the starting big in free agency.

Starters
    4 Duncan
    5 Wallace or McDyess

Bench
    4 Blair
    4/5 Mahinmi
    5 Foster

That rotation would be a significant improvement over last season and much more than I think Spurs fans hoped for at the end of this past season.

I like this approach, as then you really need only one of Blair and Mahinmi to step up and contribute consistently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Move Finley with Bonner for a decent reserve bigman (ie Foster) and sign the starting big in free agency.

Starters
    4 Duncan
    5 Wallace or McDyess

Bench
    4 Blair
    4/5 Mahinmi
    5 Foster
    If Spurs can do that , it will be damn awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So guys your thoughts ? Finley came back, trade him for a big ? MLE for a big ? both ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So guys your thoughts ? Finley came back, trade him for a big ? MLE for a big ? both ?
    If the Spurs really threw caution to the wind...

Starters
    1 Parker
    2 Ginobili
    3 Jefferson
    4 Duncan
    5 Wallace

Bench
    1 Hill
    2 Mason
    2/3 Bowen
    3 Nocioni
    4 Blair
    4/5 Mahinmi
    5 Nesterovic

IR
    1/2 McClinton
    2/3 Hairston
    3/4 Gist

Sign Wallace using the MLE. Sign Nesterovic using the LLE. Deal Finley, Bonner, and Williams (and perhaps a pick) to Sacto for Nocioni. Sign Bowen.

I think this is one of the most versatile rosters the Spurs could put together. Nice mix of young and old, athleticism and guile, outside shooting and scoring, and rebounding. Obviously this would be a bit pricey. But it's a buyer's market. If the Spurs are ready to make one final push for a championship in the remainder of Duncan's career, the sooner, the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs really threw caution to the wind...

Starters
    1 Parker
    2 Ginobili
    3 Jefferson
    4 Duncan
    5 Wallace

Bench
    1 Hill
    2 Mason
    2/3 Bowen
    3 Nocioni
    4 Blair
    4/5 Mahinmi
    5 Nesterovic

IR
    1/2 McClinton
    2/3 Hairston
    3/4 Gist

Sign Wallace using the MLE. Sign Nesterovic using the LLE. Deal Finley, Bonner, and Williams (and perhaps a pick) to Sacto for Nocioni. Sign Bowen.

I think this is one of the most versatile rosters the Spurs could put together. Nice mix of young and old, athleticism and guile, outside shooting and scoring, and rebounding. Obviously this would be a bit pricey. But it's a buyer's market. If the Spurs are ready to make one final push for a championship in the remainder of Duncan's career, the sooner, the better.
    This Post is full of win

I wrote that ====> bishopospurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring over splitter, whatever it takes, sign Sheed or McDyess, then trade Bonner and Finley for James Posey (salaries work)

PG- Parker/Hill/McClinton
    SG- Mason/Ginobli/McClinton
    SF- Jefferson/Posey
    PF- Duncan/Blair/Ian
    C-Sheed or McDyess/Splitter/ian

Ford is the Best in Texas scottspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring over splitter, whatever it takes, sign Sheed or McDyess, then trade Bonner and Finley for James Posey (salaries work)

PG- Parker/Hill/McClinton
    SG- Mason/Ginobli/McClinton
    SF- Jefferson/Posey
    PF- Duncan/Blair/Ian
    C-Sheed or McDyess/Splitter/ian
    I actually like this idea. Posey is a great role player who plays defense and he can shoot the 3. I doubt Splitter is coming over though. If we did this we would probably need to sign another big with the LLE. Oberto?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only trade I'd really be pushing would be for Tyson Chandler. They obviously want to sell - it's just a matter of what you can give them. A trade of Mason/Bonner/Mahinmi might work. It offers some youth, a viable rotation player in Mason and a spare big (they love shooters). Plus, they all come off the books soon. Chandler would set us up.

I don't even think we need to go that extreme? If we can't sign Sheed this could be an option. Don't all hate on me if you don't like it, I'm not sure of it being a good idea either. But, if Portland end up getting David Lee as is being discussed right now. Maybe Joel Przybilla would be available?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...tradeId=na745d

His contract is longer and larger and so maybe Portland would do it for some cap relief. Who knows. Either way, Bonner needs to be put to the bench as a role player or traded. He and Blair won't be able to play together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    suns not resignin matt barnes according to news ticker at realgm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons traded Afflalo and Sharpe to Denver for a 2nd rounder, according to Yahoo twitter.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pistons traded Afflalo and Sharpe to Denver for a 2nd rounder, according to Yahoo twitter.
    that's another very smart move by Warkentien. Afflalo is a nice replacement for Dahntay Jones, it's cheaper than re signing Jones and in the long run with much more upside.
    Afflalo is IMO exactly (or better: will be) the type of player you want to back up a JR Smith.
    I usually don't care much for the Nuggets and I really don't like Karl, but I have to admit, that
    Warkentien is a great GM, who does the right things for now AND for the future.

the other question is, what are the Pistons plans. this move only makes sense, if another moves follows immediately. they have increased their cap space for 1.8 million, I can't tell exactly where they stand now, but including the 1.8 million they should be around 5 million.
    Pistons fans speculate about Glen Davis (they hate him), Gooden (not many fans either).
    all possible, but what if the Pistons use the cap space plus Kwame for a Boozer trade? i'm not totally sure about the numbers, but I guess Kwame + Bynum for Boozer would work, considering the available cap space. (Pistons will need to add a teaser, maybe a 1st round pick, but then the Jazz will bite IMO).
    a trade for Tyson Chandler could work the same way.
    S&T for Lee might be a possibility either, if they send a 1st rounder to the Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about marquis daniels? long 3 released from indiana...

sure he wont come here for the minimum, how about a sign n trade....

finley + bonner + williams + gists?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how about marquis daniels? long 3 released from indiana...

sure he wont come here for the minimum, how about a sign n trade....

finley + bonner + williams + gists?
    Joking yeah?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance we can work a Finley+Williams for Turiaf with Golden State?

GS gets immediate cap relief by waving Williams, Finley gives them some vet leadership and outside shooting.

We get a guy that provides energy off the bench and can contribute for an "addition by subtraction" move (meaning, getting rid of Finley frees up minutes for Hairston)

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't read the entire thread, but is there any indication of teams that are losing $ and would be really interested in cutting payroll. Looking over that list might be a good way of finding out where bargains(talent wise) would be available. Eg, teams looking to sell traditionally cut payroll to make a sale more attractive, teams could cut $ to save on tax etc. If you take out the other top teams from the mix(BOS, LAL, CLE, ORL, DAL, etc), who are the guys left that
    a) Would fill a positional need/Strengthen the position or Talent base
    b) Have non-heinous contracts
    c) are Decent/Good Defensively
    d) Are not needed by their current team.

At a glance, I'd think potentially Ty Thomas, Tayshaun Prince(though that'd be a big sum), SJax, Maggette & Brandon Wright(Is G State up for Sale/Minutes for A Randolph and they have depth at 2-3-4.), Battier(If Houston is tanking at Midseason), Posey(Though his contract is not great), Martell Webster(may be redundant with Outlaw & Batum), Matt Harpring(Not a great fit, but 1 year deal), CJ Miles...

Most of those guys have been discussed, so the main questions left are what kind of guy/age/contract is being looked at and when the FO is doing it(And whether they're looking at a deal at all, this is just apost on a message board)

Thoughts?

Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well. I think that the Wizards could really need help underneath the basket. They only have 3 big men at the moment. They just traded Thomas to OKC, so they could be really looking for a trade. Which player would you think the Spurs could be interested in?

Mike Miller? (good shooter an expiring contract)
    Young?
    Foye?
    Crittenton?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well. I think that the Wizards could really need help underneath the basket. They only have 3 big men at the moment. They just traded Thomas to OKC, so they could be really looking for a trade. Which player would you think the Spurs could be interested in?
    Thomas was traded to Minny in June. Today's trade was between Wolves and Thunder.

Wizards have 5 bigs with Jamison, Blatche, Haywood, McGee and Oberto. That's a quite good PF/C rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs doing or not a trade before the training camp will depend on their confidence in Haislip and to a lesser extent in Mahinmi.

Spurs aren't that well equipped against mobile 4 like Dirk, Odom or Rashard Lewis. Duncan, Blair, Bonner, McDyess and Ratliff will have troubles to match up with them. Playing small with RJ at the 4 isn't a that good solution: RJ is Spurs' best wing defender so you rather see him matching against top wings. Haislip is made to match up against these players and Mahinmi has the physical tools to defend on them. If Spurs aren't sold on their ability to defend well agaisnt these players, trading for a combo forward makes a lot of sense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still holding onto my wish...

Rashard, Odom, Dirk all have 1 thing in common. Andres Nocioni has the physical attributes and toughness to guard them with some degree of effectiveness.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren't that well equipped against mobile 4 like Dirk, Odom or Rashard Lewis. Duncan, Blair, Bonner, McDyess and Ratliff will have troubles to match up with them. Playing small with RJ at the 4 isn't a that good solution: RJ is Spurs' best wing defender so you rather see him matching against top wings. Haislip is made to match up against these players and Mahinmi has the physical tools to defend on them. If Spurs aren't sold on their ability to defend well agaisnt these players, trading for a combo forward makes a lot of sense.
    totally agree on the analysis about the Spurs problem to defend combo forwards.
    JR will help in some situations (especially against Dirk, who hates to be guarded by athletic and long SFs, see Posey and Barnes), but yes, this likely leaves a hole at the wing. (Kobe, VC, PP are to strong for Manu/Mason).
    Haislip I don't see as a solution, neither Ian, even if they did develop in the defensive department. it's just a matter of rotation minutes. usually you don't play a player, who gets 10-15MPG (that's IMO the PT area where either Ian and Haislip will find themself in the rotation) more than twice the minutes, just because of a certain match up. however, I do agree a trade for a combo, who can defend makes sense.
    Nocioni would help in this department, even considering his defense is pretty overrated. Spurs should keep an eye on the Wolves. they are still tinkering their roster, the latest move was another sign that they lack a big plan. Ryan Gomes is much of all the good what Nocioni would also provide and is a much smarter team defender. (and cheaper btw.)
    ok, he is very likely not on the market and word is, the Wolves do like him. just for the sake of discussion: what would the Wolves think about Mason plus Ian (plus a pick?) for Gomes?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Singleton formerly of the Mavs is still a free agent and will probably cost under a $1million. He is 6-8 and can play either forward position. He is also a very good rebounder.

Thread Information