Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Height: 6-4
    Weight: 195
    Born: Jul 8, 1982 - Larissa, Greece

Do the Spurs still have Spanoulis' rights? If so does he count as a second round draft pick or as a free agent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have any rights to Spanoulis. He'd count against the cap as a free agent.

He'd probably take up at least a portion of the MLE to bring over. I doing think he fits enough of a need for it to make sense.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never heard of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I LOL'd when I read the thread's le.

We don't need him now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you had to get that picture

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, if he's willing to come to the Spurs and work for minutes as a backup point guard then I'm all for it. If he still has is "In Greece I'm Tracy McGrady" T shirt then I'll pass. I already ignore the vast majority of what KBP posts here anyway.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how come the spurs no longer has his rights? even though i don't think he would fit in with the spurs, his rights would have been a great trade chip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how come the spurs no longer has his rights? even though i don't think he would fit in with the spurs, his rights would have been a great trade chip.
    Spanoulis was traded by the Rockets to the San Antonio Spurs on July 12, 2007 along with a 2009 second-round draft pick in exchange for center Jackie Butler and the rights to Argentinian power forward Luis Scola. On August 19, 2007 the Spurs released Spanoulis, giving him the chance to return back to Greece to play for the Panathinaikos Athens Greens as he had requested. This was officially announced on August 23, 2007.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasileios_Spanoulis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasnt it a "gentlemans agreement" that if they wanted unibrow that he would give the spurs first shot for letting him out of his contract to go back to his family

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, if he's willing to come to the Spurs and work for minutes as a backup point guard then I'm all for it. If he still has is "In Greece I'm Tracy McGrady" T shirt then I'll pass. I already ignore the vast majority of what KBP posts here anyway.
    No man, that was JVG quote, Spanoulis's mentor is Yiannakis, and his current coach is Obradovic, you don't play for neither of those two if you have that mentality.

Those two are the only professional coaches Spanoulis ever had, two of the best Europe has to offer, both of them great teachers. Spanoulis had trouble adjusting to JVG's coaching. He expressed his frustration on his personal blog --in Greek-- to which JGV responded "In Greece he maybe T Mac, but here we have the real McGrady." which is pure BS if you ask me, he never really gave him any chance to be a part of the team.

Spanoulis was not JVG's choice, spanoulis negotiated and signed a deal with the team owners, they believed in him, but JVG while wasn't present, Spanoulis was promised playing time, and was reassured that he will be given time to adjust to the NBA game. JVG had other plans, I would be upset too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we dont need him....but at least he and his lover look happy in the picture...i guess he likes older men. that fella behind him to his left looks kinda jealous of old shorty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He just got Euroleague Basketball’s 2009 Final Four MVP......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So guys... we gave up his rights for nothing? NADA? the only way we could get over the Scola trade would be if this guy becomes legit on our roster...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So guys... we gave up his rights for nothing? NADA? the only way we could get over the Scola trade would be if this guy becomes legit on our roster...
    We got rid of Jackie Butler's contract and under the salary cap, if I'm not mistaken. In retrospect, yeah, we got hosed. So it goes.

Germany's #1 Spurs Fan Streakyshooter08's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spanoulis discussion got a little bit out of hand last offseason. The problem is some only see black and white in the sense that he either busts or plays awesome. He for sure is a good baskeball player. If he could be successfull under Pop as a PG (which he would play if you have Gino and Mason at the 2) is another question. If he would come over for the right price I would give him a chance. Of course you go after a big or a SF first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got rid of Jackie Butler's contract and under the salary cap, if I'm not mistaken. In retrospect, yeah, we got hosed. So it goes.
    what this reply to my post has to do with giving up V-Span rights?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what this reply to my post has to do with giving up V-Span rights?
    I was under the impression that V-Span, in order to get released from his contract and return to Greece, reduced the buyout to zero.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he would play PG here. so, with tony and hill, i really don't think it's a priority for us. PASS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he would play PG here. so, with tony and hill, i really don't think it's a priority for us. PASS.
    Mmm.. i am not so sure about that... He was playing the 2 with PAO with Jasikevicius running the point... i think he is a gr8 solution and he can play both the 1 and the 2... a solidified veteran under the right leadership could thrive... hey even TP tried to lure him to come last time they faced eachother on intl compe ion...

He could be productive getting either 1 or 2 minutes. I like V-Span for us

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasnt it a "gentlemans agreement" that if they wanted unibrow that he would give the spurs first shot for letting him out of his contract to go back to his family
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we dont need him....but at least he and his lover look happy in the picture...i guess he likes older men. that fella behind him to his left looks kinda jealous of old shorty.
    That is the head of the club you moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was under the impression that V-Span, in order to get released from his contract and return to Greece, reduced the buyout to zero.
    Yes and PAO also gave Spurs a gift of 1 million euros. But there is also verbal like hand shake agreement that if a NBA team offered him to come back and he wanted to take it then he would ask Spurs first if they wanted to have him and match the offer.

This is as favor for Spurs allowing him to return to his sick mother in Greece, which Rockets would not agree to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His position is point guard but he plays shooting guard with no problem also. There is really no comparison I can think of to him in this way ever except maybe Marciulionis. He is not a combo guard like they say. He is a point guard who can play shooting guard with zero adjustment. There is no player in NBA that is similar really.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBP: question...

Was he playing the 2 on the Eurolegue with Jasikevicious playing the point or it was vice versa? Do you think he could take some minutes at the 2 at NBA the level?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBP: question...

Was he playing the 2 on the Eurolegue with Jasikevicious playing the point or it was vice versa? Do you think he could take some minutes at the 2 at NBA the level?
    They'd take turns to get the ball up the floor, but from what I saw he played more as a PG.

Thread Information