College: Creighton
    Years Pro: 1

Info

RFA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Spurs move 20 for two picks and end up with Brackins (or take Brackins at 20, though I think they'll go with a guard/wing), I still say Tolliver ends up back with the Spurs.

Sure, he played well for the Warriors last season and they like him, but they're already well stocked up front and will be even moreso if, as expected, they draft Udoh tomorrow. Even in the event they don't, the alternative is most likely Monroe. Add one of them to Biedrins, Wright, Randolph (can play SF), Turiaf, Radmanovic (can play SF) and Gadzuric and it makes no sense to bring back Tolliver, who'll likely at least want to be in a situation where he's on the active roster regularly. Barring trade/buy out, the Warriors can't offer that.

Radmanovic and Gadzuric are buy out candidates, as they're both on expiring contracts, but that's probably more likely post trade deadline, assuming they're not traded before then.

Tolliver is not some big time prospect to where the Warriors won't want to relinquish his rights. I assume they'll let him go if they don't have room for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt GS lets him go. He played very well for them last season.
    Last edited by DesignatedT; 06-23-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After reviewing the free agent list and seeing who the Spurs drafted, I don't think Tolliver will be their first option to fill the fifth big role. I'm not ruling it out and wouldn't be surprised, but I was unaware that Novak was unrestricted (I thought he was restricted).

With Anderson on board to fill the wing shooter role off the bench, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Spurs forgo signing a veteran wing, such as Jones. They already have a younger, more athletic shooter (who's supposed to be ready to contribute immediately) to bring off the bench now, so why further bury Hairston and Gee? The Spurs wanted to get younger and more athletic. A guy like Jones or someone of that ilk was necessary if they didn't get a wing who could step right in and play.

This would still leave them without a long three/combo forward/stretch four. Novak would be a perfect fit in this role, even though he can't guard his own shadow.

The Spurs should sign Splitter, sign Novak, find a fifth big who's more of a long, mobile, rim protector type (Mahinmi would be ideal, but I doubt he re-signs; they could have Richards in this role, but he's not ready for the NBA and Novak is more of a three than a four, so they'd be somewhat thin on the front line), maybe bring in an SF on a non-guaranteed deal for training camp and call it an off season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't have a problem at all if Tolliver were to return, for a cheap contract, in place of Bonner.

I don't know much about Novak. I'll search the think tank for more information.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After reviewing the free agent list and seeing who the Spurs drafted, I don't think Tolliver will be their first option to fill the fifth big role. I'm not ruling it out and wouldn't be surprised, but I was unaware that Novak was unrestricted (I thought he was restricted).

With Anderson on board to fill the wing shooter role off the bench, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Spurs forgo signing a veteran wing, such as Jones. They already have a younger, more athletic shooter (who's supposed to be ready to contribute immediately) to bring off the bench now, so why further bury Hairston and Gee? The Spurs wanted to get younger and more athletic. A guy like Jones or someone of that ilk was necessary if they didn't get a wing who could step right in and play.

This would still leave them without a long three/combo forward/stretch four. Novak would be a perfect fit in this role, even though he can't guard his own shadow.

The Spurs should sign Splitter, sign Novak, find a fifth big who's more of a long, mobile, rim protector type (Mahinmi would be ideal, but I doubt he re-signs; they could have Richards in this role, but he's not ready for the NBA and Novak is more of a three than a four, so they'd be somewhat thin on the front line), maybe bring in an SF on a non-guaranteed deal for training camp and call it an off season.
    IMO Novak is no better than Bonner. Tolliver is a better all around player. Better defender and rebounder than Novak.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about whether Novak is better than Bonner (he isn't), it's the fact that he can play both forward positions and offers the same primary skill Bonner does, only for a fraction of the price.

Tolliver is definitely a better player, but if it's strictly shooting the Spurs are after, Novak is a better shooter and he can play two positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Tolliver will be an unrestricted FA:

Riley said on Monday that the Warriors will make qualifying offers to Anthony Morrow and C.J. Watson but will not extend one to center Chris Hunter. As for Anthony Tolliver, he’s not getting one, either, although Riley wouldn’t go so far as to confirm that.

What that means is that Morrow and Watson are officially restricted free agents, giving the Warriors the right of first refusal when it comes to re-signing them. Hunter and Tolliver will become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/28/10/W...81&feedID=5875

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for getting Tolliver back in place of Bonner but I don't think it will happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm all for getting tolliver back in place of bonner but i don't think it will happen.
    +1

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice option. Spurs should at least call.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALWAYS be leery of guys who have some kind of an offensive "breakout" experience playing for Don Nelson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew the Warriors wouldn't bring him back. Now that he's on his way to being unrestricted, I think it's a dead heat between him and Novak. I'd be surprised if one of them is not a Spur next season. It all just depends on how they want to make up their roster.

Do they want a true big like Tolliver, who can provide serviceable minutes in case of injury/blowout or when Duncan/McDyess get's a game off or do they want a combo forward, who's a better three point shooter, which would mean they'd go a different direction with their fifth big spot (I assume they'd go with a defensive/shot blocker type)?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALWAYS be leery of guys who have some kind of an offensive "breakout" experience playing for Don Nelson.
    ...and any team D'Antoni is coaching.

I was really pulling for Tolliver when the Spurs first brought him in. He had a lot of nice qualities but just could not make a shot to save his own life.

That said, I'd be for bringing him back on a cheap contract. He has some floor time under his belt now and their won't be much of a learning curve. As much as Pop liked him, he will at least get a phone call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Tolliver will be an unrestricted FA:

Riley said on Monday that the Warriors will make qualifying offers to Anthony Morrow and C.J. Watson but will not extend one to center Chris Hunter. As for Anthony Tolliver, he’s not getting one, either, although Riley wouldn’t go so far as to confirm that.

What that means is that Morrow and Watson are officially restricted free agents, giving the Warriors the right of first refusal when it comes to re-signing them. Hunter and Tolliver will become unrestricted free agents on July 1.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/28/10/W...81&feedID=5875
    I'm curious as to how he became an unrestricted FA so quickly? Was it because he went undrafted a couple of years ago?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious as to how he became an unrestricted FA so quickly? Was it because he went undrafted a couple of years ago?
    It's because his one-season contract expired and Golden State did not extend a qualifying offer to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he didnt play very well against us when i saw him and sucked in 2009 so for cheap yes better than bonner...mmmm i dont know bonner wasnt as bad as alot of people say he was this year in the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's true that he will be unrestricted, I can see Spurs going after him.

Spurs liked him in 08 but he was unable to shoot the ball at the NBA level. His stint with GS could show that he is now able to do it. Tolliver with his outside shooting and his mobility would complement very well a Duncan, Dice, Blair and Splitter frontcourt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking of the Warriors is Reggie Williams is FA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking of the Warriors is Reggie Williams is FA?
    I believe he is under contract this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's true that he will be unrestricted, I can see Spurs going after him.

Spurs liked him in 08 but he was unable to shoot the ball at the NBA level. His stint with GS could show that he is now able to do it. Tolliver with his outside shooting and his mobility would complement very well a Duncan, Dice, Blair and Splitter frontcourt.
    What would be better. Tolliver for the minimum or Bonner for $2 million a year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would be better. Tolliver for the minimum or Bonner for $2 million a year?
    Is it a true question of a rhetorical one ?

I don't even want Bonner back for the min considering how he sucks in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tolliver still did not shoot all that well with GS but his energy, hustle and rebounding would be an upgrade over bonner. Do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even want Bonner back for the min considering how he sucks in the playoffs.
    Likewise Mason.

Thread Information