My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Born: Apr 28, 1982
    Height: 7-0 / 2,13
    Weight: 265 lbs. / 120,2 kg.
    College: Central Michigan
    Years Pro: 5

With most of the available big men in free agency not being that attractive, the Spurs best bet may be to trade for a big man in order to really improve in the front court department and their drive for five aspirations. Antonio McDyess would improve the Spurs with part of the MLE, but would he really catapult the Spurs into the finals again? I think not. This makes me believe Chris Kaman could be our best bet.
    I don't know what kind of terms the Clippers are on financially, but maybe an offer of Oberto+ Bowen+ Hill could get their attention.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I approve

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One would think that the Clips will look to move one of Randolph, Kaman, or Camby. Finding a customer for Randolph will be almost impossible. So, Kaman or Camby would seem likely to go. Kaman's contract is in line with his potential and can be managed under the Lux Tax by the Spurs. My only concern is that he has missed almost 80 games over the last two years.

If he gets a clean bill of health, he would look great next to Tim for 30mpg.

Stats link for the OP:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_...eer_stats.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have discussed this as well, and there seems to be diametrically opposed arguments for and against.

My thinking is that he makes reasonable money (compared to what the market pays guys with his abilities), he is young and is about as good as you can hope for in 2010 (probably better). If you can get him for the expirings and not have to give up talent, you should.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the black Tim Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I get the feeling if we do land a big man this summer via trade it will be either Kaman or Camby. With the Clippers getting a 1-5 pick in the draft there is no need to hang onto all these big men. Im all for Kaman. But Camby would be better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaman would be a fantastic pickup. His salary is around $10 mil, which is high, but will give the Spurs a lot more salary flexibility than Jefferson or Carter. I'm not sure how interested the Clippers are in keeping him, but considering how notorious they are for being cheap, this could be a legitimate opportunity, especially if they land Blake Griffin.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    They would trade Kaman and Davis for Parker/filler guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop loves this guy he'd work smoothly on our system

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They would trade Kaman and Davis for Parker/filler guaranteed.
    They would trade Kaman and Davis for nothing guaranteed (just to dump salary). (And it would still be a lousy trade for the Spurs.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is perfect for us.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i posted this in another thread:

kaman is the best option. clippers don't want him, that's why they sacrificed expiring contracts in 2010 to acquire randolph. they also will probably let camby's contract expire to ease their cap situation. trading expiring contracts for camby, who is already on an expiring contract doesn't make much sense. they have three centers that are starter quality and kaman's contract runs the longest, into the year that thorton would become a RFA.

i think kaman can still develop. playing on the clippers can kill your motivation. he defends, has decent speed for his position, blocks quite a few shots, and can score. the only downside would be killing the 2010 plan and potentially burdening the spurs' cap situation for years to come. however, if kaman can stay healthy, spurs will never have to look for a supporting bigman for duncan ever again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i posted this in another thread:

kaman is the best option. clippers don't want him, that's why they sacrificed expiring contracts in 2010 to acquire randolph. they also will probably let camby's contract expire to ease their cap situation. trading expiring contracts for camby, who is already on an expiring contract doesn't make much sense. they have three centers that are starter quality and kaman's contract runs the longest, into the year that thorton would become a RFA.

i think kaman can still develop. playing on the clippers can kill your motivation. he defends, has decent speed for his position, blocks quite a few shots, and can score. the only downside would be killing the 2010 plan and potentially burdening the spurs' cap situation for years to come. however, if kaman can stay healthy, spurs will never have to look for a supporting bigman for duncan ever again.
    +1 to this and the black Timmay post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, I don't think we're allowed to use watermarked pictures.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the more i think about this, the more i think it makes sense for both teams. kaman will make $10.5 million next year. spurs could send bowen, oberto, and bonner for kaman for a total of also $10.5 million. by waiving bowen and oberto, the clippers instantly save $4 million. this would not screw up the spurs' cap situation for next year because they will be getting a equal contract back. the spurs also won't have to put in mason or hill as trade bait because the clippers are more inclined to get rid of kaman and make room for deandre jordan.

spurs would do this because they will have a logjam at the center position next year and they will get to dump bonner. duncan, thomas, bonner, oberto, mahinmi, and hopefully gist will all be on the roster next year. that would be 6 players capable of playing the PF/C position. getting rid of bonner and oberto and getting kaman would put the spurs at 5 bigmen. bonner and oberto are dead weight and KT would remain to provide a nice veteran presence. kaman would automatically become the best bigman to play next to tim duncan not named david robinson. kaman's shotblocking combined with duncan's shotblocking would once again shut down the paint against opposing teams. kaman also has good mobility. did i mention that they get to dump bonner? and like what another poster said, acquiring kaman would not screw up the cap situation as much as VC or RJ, also allowing the spurs to keep hill and mason.

clippers would do this obviously to save money and they can find some use for bonner since they don't play defense. they would instantly save $4 million and get rid of kaman's long term contract. bonner's 3pt shooting would allow room for randolph or jordan to do their thing. the best thing is, the clippers won't have to worry about bonner choking in the playoffs. no more kaman would also mean more playing time for deandre jordan.

kaman would be enough to put the spurs over the top provided they sign a defensive wing to replace bowen. bowen could resign with the spurs after getting waived too. the defense would be solidified once again and kaman would provide interior scoring when duncan is on the bench. he gets to the free throw line, has an improving jumper, and can rebound. tell me this lineup doesn't look good:

Kaman
    Duncan
    Bowen
    Ginobili
    Parker

Bench:
    Mahinmi
    Thomas/Gist
    newly acquired wing (hairston/williams/draft/FA)/ Gist?
    Mason
    Hill

perfect balance of youth and veterans. acquiring kaman would solve the backup PG problem as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Born: Apr 28, 1982
    Height: 7-0 / 2,13
    Weight: 265 lbs. / 120,2 kg.
    College: Central Michigan
    Years Pro: 5

With most of the available big men in free agency not being that attractive, the Spurs best bet may be to trade for a big man in order to really improve in the front court department and their drive for five aspirations. Antonio McDyess would improve the Spurs with part of the MLE, but would he really catapult the Spurs into the finals again? I think not. This makes me believe Chris Kaman could be our best bet.
    I don't know what kind of terms the Clippers are on financially, but maybe an offer of Oberto+ Bowen+ Hill could get their attention.
    +1 get him=

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Clippers will try to salary dump Kaman. The logical move for them would be to keep a Randolph/Kaman frontcourt and to either let expire Camby or trade him for expiring contracts and a pick/prospect.

Something that could make more sense than a Kaman salary dump, is something like a three team trade with Bucks. Clippers get Richard Jefferson, Spurs get Kaman and Bucks get cap relief.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaman is not held in high regard by Mike Dunleavy who basically runs the Clipper show (for now).

Kaman was caught on tape saying that he didn't understand why Clipper fans actually paid money to see a team that bad play. Dunleavy was livid and called Kaman a "loose cannon." Then Dunleavy essentially blamed Kaman for blowing a home win against Cleveland (as I recall) by his critical mistakes and mental errors down the stretch.

I think the Clips would love to dump his salary.

I also have to believe that the Spurs would want nothing to do with a player as unreliable as Kaman at his salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I didn't know the story between Kaman and Dunleavy. It quite increases his odds of being traded.

I guess it will also depend on who Clippers will draft with their first round pick. We should have a first idea on who they will draft after the lottery in 2 weeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaman is a tough call but I probably take the risk. He's missed a lot of games recently but how many of those games were due to just going on early vacation with a bad team? Players all of a sudden stay healthy when they are in a compe ive environment.

He's a little bit loony and his ADD has made him at times one of the game's worst help defenders ... but when he's on his meds and playing at his best, he very well may be a top five center in the game.

Kaman and Duncan would make a pretty damn immobile pairing but I'm willing to live with that. However, as much flame as I'll get for saying it, I'd want to keep Bonner if that is going to be the starting lineup. Bonner could be useful to spread the floor and his mobility defensive would also come in handy during certain matchups. Thomas would be the one who is much more expendable.

He's not a perfect fit but if the Clippers want to salary dump him and the Spurs can get him just for expiring contracts, I'll willing to take that risk. Rebounder, shot blocker, low post game and still has a chance to improve.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i thought kaman never had ADD.

but he is the caveman after all.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a little bit loony and his ADD has made him at times one of the game's worst help defenders
    Does he seriously have ADD?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaman is a tough call but I probably take the risk. He's missed a lot of games recently but how many of those games were due to just going on early vacation with a bad team? Players all of a sudden stay healthy when they are in a compe ive environment.

He's a little bit loony and his ADD has made him at times one of the game's worst help defenders ... but when he's on his meds and playing at his best, he very well may be a top five center in the game.

Kaman and Duncan would make a pretty damn immobile pairing but I'm willing to live with that. However, as much flame as I'll get for saying it, I'd want to keep Bonner if that is going to be the starting lineup. Bonner could be useful to spread the floor and his mobility defensive would also come in handy during certain matchups. Thomas would be the one who is much more expendable.

He's not a perfect fit but if the Clippers want to salary dump him and the Spurs can get him just for expiring contracts, I'll willing to take that risk. Rebounder, shot blocker, low post game and still has a chance to improve.
    MB: What do you think of the Spurs targeting Kaman instead? If the Clips are looking to dump someone, Kaman would be the most likely logically with his contract.
    11-12 Million for a legit starting center is not that much in my book, especially when they can shoot inside and out along with rebound. Dampier, Kaman, Dalembert, Okafor, Brad Miller, Sheed and many others make about the same as Troy and he rebounds and has more range than all of them.

It is really not that bad when you look at what the market is paying similar talent.
    Timvp sums it up nicely. Really not a huge risk and I still do not know why people bring up his salary. As I outlined, he is paid compe ively with other guys in the league that have the same skill set.

The Spurs could hope to get no one better in 2010, so if they could do it now, why not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp sums it up nicely. Really not a huge risk and I still do not know why people bring up his salary. As I outlined, he is paid compe ively with other guys in the league that have the same skill set.
    It's definitely a risk. If he can't stay healthy, he won't be able to be salary dumped again without giving up assets. If the Spurs go with him and he bombs, the Spurs' wouldn't have very much maneuverability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's definitely a risk. If he can't stay healthy, he won't be able to be salary dumped again without giving up assets. If the Spurs go with him and he bombs, the Spurs' wouldn't have very much maneuverability.
    Injury wise he is a risk, but I agree it is more "I hate my life in LA" and not legit injuries.

Basketball wise he is no more risk than the next guy if the Spurs are going to take on salary. Based on his game he is about as good as you could hope for with regards to Age/Offense/Defense/Experience...

His contract aligns with Duncan's, so worst case scenario the spurs are stuck with him and if they cannot make a move, they have extra cap space when Duncan retires and Kaman expires.

Thread Information