Weight: 220 lbs
    Birthday: 10/15/1986
    College: Syracuse

DraftExpress
    nbadraft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a really good defender, he has the capability to harass, pester and really cause problems for two positions at the next level (SG, PG). He's a good rebounder for his size. But, he lacks consistency with his overall jumpshot, and his passing needs improvement.

He isn't the type who can play spot point minutes either. Although, he has fair ball handling ability. Character wise, despite some minor past incidents, he's a good guy. I'd say he would be good D-League or overseas material. He could very well develop these other desired traits.

I.Q wise: By no means is he a genius, but he's not a rock or anything. The Spurs system may be a bit complex for him, but he picks things up with time.

Defending and rebounding come natural to him. I'd suggest simply improving offensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jon...t-Wrap-Up-3259

Comments from observers in the gym:

“Paul Harris may have helped himself the most I thought here. He plays so hard. He got in everyone’s face. No one wanted to go against him. On offense and defense. On top of that, his measurements were ridiculous. He came up a bit shorter than expected—only 6-3 in shoes, but his wingspan is outrageous—6-11 ½. He’s also absolutely jacked at 237 pounds, all 100% muscle. On top of that, he measured a no step vertical of 36 inches, which is off the charts. He’s like Ron Artest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs players don't have dreadlocks...

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I usually don't buy into straight athletic ability but good lord...this guy is a beast. If he is as good as advertised on the defensive end then he would be perfect to guard Bryant, Wade, Roy, etc. He is listed as undrafted by DX so if we were looking at hidden potential with one of our two 50's picks then he might be decent SG prospect. At worst he can go to Austin to work on his offense.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    braids aren't dreads.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Character wise, despite some minor past incidents, he's a good guy.
    minor incidents? he went to jail for dealing cocaine and was charged with third-degree assault after an altercation with his girlfriend.
    (yes, he stayed out of troubles the last years)
    aside his really crazy athletic abilities (if I remember right I read somewhere about a 44 or 45'' vertical leap), I also read quite a lot negative comments about his game, especially about selfish play and breaking the called plays, therefore the relation with coach Boeheim was quite damaged last season. I guess coachability isn't his second name.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guard with a near seven foot wingspan? Are you serious?

This is undoubtably a high risk, high reward kind of player, but that's the kind of guy you ought to go after with a 50s pick.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Holy crap, look at those measurements. Damn.

If the Spurs can get a sf with the 37th pick, Harris is certainly worth the risk with the 51st, or 53rd pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is at 51 I hope we take him. This guy is our Bruce Bowen replacement.
    I doubt that, but he'd be alright.

But just go sign Hassan Adams. Syracuse players suck in the pros.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The character/legal issues are a concern, but it's more of a concern if you are paying a first round contract. If you take a guy like this in the 50's you are giving him a chance to rectify past negative issues without really losing much. The potential payoff certainly outweighs any loss.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that, but he'd be alright.

But just go sign Hassan Adams. Syracuse players suck in the pros.

Yeah that Carmello Anthony will never amount to anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that Carmello Anthony will never amount to anything.
    Yes, and Derrick Coleman. Give me one other example. One.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is at 51 I hope we take him. This guy is our Bruce Bowen replacement.
    He's only 6'4". I can't see him as a SF replacement. Might as well have George Hill at SF if you want to do that.(I'm exaggerating a bit).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't you know? 6'4" in the NCAA is 6'8" in the NBA.
    Sometimes that's true, but not in this case. From BLACKJACK21's post earlier in the thread:

“Paul Harris may have helped himself the most I thought here. He plays so hard. He got in everyone’s face. No one wanted to go against him. On offense and defense. On top of that, his measurements were ridiculous. He came up a bit shorter than expected—only 6-3 in shoes, but his wingspan is outrageous—6-11 ½. He’s also absolutely jacked at 237 pounds, all 100% muscle. On top of that, he measured a no step vertical of 36 inches, which is off the charts. He’s like Ron Artest.
    He'll probably be listed at 6-4 in the NBA, give or take an inch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. A 7 foot wingspan. If he's there with one of our last picks, we should nab him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs players don't have dreadlocks...
    Didn't apply to Gist last year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well my post was mostly wishful thinking. I meant really the Spurs have gone through just as many "Bowen replacements" as back up point guards for Tony Parker. I'm too lazy to write out the several players we have brought in or signed to hope they become Bruce quickly.
    A better bet would be Brown, if you're looking for that guy in the draft.

I'm obviously in the Brown camp, as of late, but I think even expecting him to give the Spurs Bowen-type production right off the bat, is pretty unrealistic.

I like Harris and wouldn't be opposed to the Spurs picking him up in the 50's, but I just don't see him as being able to guard the elite-level 6' 5" and up players on a consistent basis. 6' 3" in shoes is 6' 3" in shoes, not matter how impressive the wingspan or athleticism. (Look how easily Kobe was able to get his shot off against D. Jones- who's an inch taller and just as athletic- and how easily it was for him to put him in foul-trouble, since he had to be more physical and pull out all the tricks to compensate.

The Spurs probably need their next Bowen to come a similar route Bruce did when he arrived. Someone that's been hardened and humbled by a tougher road to the NBA and has acquired some respect and knowledge from the NBA officials, along the way.

I think Harris could probably be a change of pace guy (almost like letting an angry bulldog off the leash) but unless he develops his offensive game to the point that his physical attributes impose more harm on the defender than his size allows on the defensive-end, a sparkplug/change-of-pace 7th or 8th man is about the most I expect to see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dave Bing! I finally remembered who it was I was thinking about.

Chances are no one on this board has heard of him though.
    You mean the Mayor, right?(or whatever the public office he won.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah he went on to be something or another. He was a good player in the 60s.
    Yeah, I know. (He just worked really hard to earn that le)

He was better than good, though...

Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1990); All-NBA First Team (1968, '71); All-NBA Second Team (1974); Rookie of the Year (1967); J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (1977); One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History ('96).
    http://www.nba.com/history/players/bing_summary.html

Wow!

1000 posts!

Damn, I kind of expected it to feel a little different when I popped/lost my noobness.
    Last edited by Blackjack; 06-21-2009 at 12:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guard with a near seven foot wingspan? Are you serious?

This is undoubtably a high risk, high reward kind of player, but that's the kind of guy you ought to go after with a 50s pick.
    Seven foot wingspan?! If he doesn't get drafted then an invite to the summer league would be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am a Syracuse alum and watch every Syracuse basketball game.

As a man to man defender and a rebounder, Harris is off the charts.

Unfortunately he is perhaps the dumbest man in America. He'd miss so many defensive rotations Pop would murder him during a time out. I wouldn't mind them bringing him to camp but I'd be surprised if he could stick on this team. Good candidate for Austin.

Thread Information