My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    War is a business, and unwinnable wars are unending business

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Germans and French warned US/UK not to go to war in Afghanistan. This is the 2nd time UK got its butt kicked there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    billions wasted on ghost soldiers:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-af...-idUSKCN1270F7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America's longest war is nowhere near over:

In all, the U.S. has spent over $850 billion on the Afghanistan war, suffered nearly 2,400 dead and the Taliban are not only back in the field, they’ve made steady progress in wresting control of the country from the U.S.-backed Afghanistan government. The Pentagon would like to convince us that the glass is half full: Two weeks ago the Defense Department announced that “U.S. backed forces control 70 percent” of the country. Another way of saying this is that the Taliban control 30 percent—a not insignificant gain from zero, which was the case only eight weeks after Bush’s air campaign began back in 2001. The Pentagon’s estimate is conservative: The Long War Journal’s Bill Roggio, who tracks the conflict, recently noted that the Taliban have a heavy influence in fully half the country and their power is expanding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says the CIA’s Milt Bearden: “My touchstone is historian Louis Depree, one of the really great thinkers on Afghanistan. … Dupree said there were four mistakes the British made in Afghanistan: They occupied it, put their own hated emir on the throne, knocked down doors and killed people, then stopped paying their friends. We’ve followed the same pattern. It didn’t work for the British, it’s not working for us.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Russia couldn't do it and they shared a land border with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US Marines going back:

It's official: Marines are headed back to the Taliban hotbed of Helmand province, Afghanistan, the Marine Corps announced Friday.
    The deployment of 300 Marines from II Marine Expeditionary Force will return to the southwestern province that was the site of the Corps' major battles within the country as advisers and trainers for the Afghan National Army and police, officials said in a release.
    http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...-confirms.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bombings in Afghanistan exceed 2011 tempo:

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashp...ht-of-the-war/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will never end. Nothing has changed it seems in the years of this thread. Wow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    England, failed there, told USA not to go into Afghanistan

Russia got their asses kicked and the bogus empire began to crumble there. (and it wasn't St Ronnie who brought down Russia)

American hubris and war-profiteering MIC.

At least the MIC is still, and will always profiteer from America's eternally losing wars.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-16-2018 at 10:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we've been doing for 17 years didn't work.

Bring 'em home.

The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) says the U.S. set unrealistic expectations for stabilizing Afghanistan on a short timeline, that the Obama administration lacked the political will to invest the necessary time and effort to stabilize the country, and that some efforts to bolster the Afghan government actually backfired.

[Our] overall assessment is that despite some heroic efforts to stabilize insecure and contested areas in Afghanistan between 2002 and 2017, the program mostly failed,” said John Sopko, head of SIGAR, at a Thursday morning event announcing the report.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-effort-stabilize-afghanistan-5-billion-failure-says-watchdog-n876846

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pentagon admits new Black Hawk choppers are worse than old Russian ones, and may compromise Afghanistan's miltary capability:

report from a top U.S. military watchdog has finally acknowledged that the UH-60A+ Black Hawks that the United States is supplying to the Afghan Air Force are less capable and harder to maintain than the Russian-made Mi-17 Hip helicopters they have now. The review raises concerns that this could limit Afghanistan’s ability to conduct operations across the country unless steps are taking to mitigate the loss of capability, something we at The War Zone have long warned could easily be the case.
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...ssian-choppers

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably because we're being penny pinchers on military spending.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White House orders direct talks with the Taliban:

The Trump administration has told its top diplomats to seek direct talks with the Taliban, a significant shift in American policy in Afghanistan, done in the hope of jump-starting negotiations to end the 17-year war.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/15/w...otiations.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a trillion dollars flushed down the toilet on an unwinnable war. makes you think when our elected leaders say this or that is unaffordable.

Lawmakers, skeptical about the prospects of victory, grilled the Trump administration Tuesday on the direction of the nation’s longest-running war, now in its 17th year. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing comes after a wave of shocking militant attacks in Kabul that killed more than 200 people.

Randall Schriver, the Defense Department’s top Asia official, said the $45 billion total for the year includes $5 billion for Afghan forces and $13 billion for U.S. forces inside Afghanistan. Much of the rest is for logistical support. Some $780 million goes toward economic aid.

The costs now are still significantly lower than during the high point of the war in Afghanistan. From 2010 to 2012, when the U.S. had as many as 100,000 soldiers in the country, the price for American taxpayers surpassed $100 billion each year.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...llion-per-year

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    England, failed there, told USA not to go into Afghanistan

Russia got their asses kicked and the bogus empire began to crumble there. (and it wasn't St Ronnie who brought down Russia)

American hubris and war-profiteering MIC.

At least the MIC is still, and will always profiteer from America's eternally losing wars.
    Tell the whole story. Americans weaponized the rebels and then those same rebels brought down your towers.

S bag USA always propping up violent ethnics - Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Chicago...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TERRORIST APOLOGISTS AND TRAITORS

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Trump most definitely won't be ending/quitting/retreating from any wars. We just hope he doesn't start anymore. So far overall not being WarMonger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the does “the original 9/11 has been lost”?

Afghanistan was ruled by Taliban and they had zero involvement in 9/11.

All they did is allow Al Qaeda to live there and that was because Al Qaeda had helped them rid of the Russians with US help and training.

USA helped Taliban get the power and created Al Qaeda. Then when Al Qaeda attacks US, US blames Taliban and tries to obliterate them. Taliban survive and come back and wip that American ass back to Alabama.

There was no need to go after Taliban and try to force a ty government down Afghanistans throat. USA installed one of the most savage corrupt governments in modern history and expected it yo succeed

morons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11 of the idiots on 911 plane with from saudi arabia, yet US doesnt goto the source because they are an ally, but fck that... go start some undevelop countries, yet cant even finish the mission

hence i dont believe in this humanitarian bull , if US wants SA, whats stopping them?? EU and NATO aint going to do ...whens the next crusades?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Osamas grand plan was to bait US into an unwinnable war and USA fell hook line and sinker

Gotta accept it was a masterful plan tbqh. Osama knew that would happen as he trained with CIA and US government

One of the most machiavellic moves in human history by Osama tbqh. Gotta give props when props are due

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Osamas grand plan was to bait US into an unwinnable war and USA fell hook line and sinker

Gotta accept it was a masterful plan tbqh. Osama knew that would happen as he trained with CIA and US government

One of the most machiavellic moves in human history by Osama tbqh. Gotta give props when props are due
    Everything single word you posted is wrong.

Called it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything single word you posted is wrong.

Called it.

no, OBL knew he would have only one shot at USA and it was brilliant, suckered USA into an expensive distantly foreign war that damaged, damages USA 100 times worse than WTC

Thread Information