Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump most definitely won't be ending/quitting/retreating from any wars. We just hope he doesn't start anymore. So far overall not being WarMonger
    Disagree. the tempo of bombing has increased in all theaters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's newsworthy that a magazine that shilled as hard for for the war (and against its critics) as the Weekly Standard says it's time to take the L and go home.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    War is highly profitable, the oligarchy LOVES eternal wars

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Erik Prince's Wollman Rink moment:

According to a PowerPoint presentation he used in meetings with administration officials and shared with Politico, Prince argued that “Afghanistan is effectively in bankruptcy” and “The best way forward is analogous to a Chapter 11 reorganization,” a reference to U.S. bankruptcy law.

His presentation, passed among his friends in Congress, and presented to the President at Camp David, proposes a “strategic economy of force” in Afghanistan. Prince models his approach on the British East India Company’s 250-year Colonial rule in the Indian subcontinent—a private foreign company with military supremacy blessed by a distant government.

Prince calls Afghanistan “The Wollman Ice Rink Moment of the Trump Administration”—a reference to Mr. Trump’s high-profile fight in the 1980s with New York City’s then-mayor Ed Koch over a dilapidated ice rink in Central Park. The reference provides a clue to who the intended audience is for the presentation: the President himself. The city had struggled with cost overruns and a lack of progress while renovating the ice rink—a fact Mr. Trump repeatedly raised with Mayor Koch. Mr. Trump asserted he could fix the Central Park attraction faster and better with less money, and offered to turn it around on behalf of the city in exchange for the right to operate it. The Trump Organization successfully did so and operates the rink to this day.

https://www.pogo.org/analysis/2018/1...prince-of-war/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taliban show no sign of capitulation, casualties in the capitol mount:

Afghan security forces' control of the capital Kabul has slipped in recent months as it also suffers record-level casualties fighting against the Taliban, a watchdog reported.

Resolute Support, the US-led NATO mission in Afghanistan, released figures on Wednesday that showed Afghan forces controlled or influenced 55.5 percent of the capital.

The figure is down 0.7 percent from the previous quarter, according to the US Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), and marks the lowest level since records were first kept in November 2015.SIGAR added that a full 12 percent of Kabul's districts were under Taliban control or influence, with 32 percent considered "contested".

Last year, US President Donald Trump unveilled a new Afghan war strategy that recommitted thousands of troops there and scrapped any timeline for a withdrawal.
    The US has fought in Afghanistan since 2001, now America's longest war, and has roughly 15,000 troops deployed
    https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/ne...an-us-watchdog

fun fact: Donald Trump may send as many troops to the border as we have in Afghanistan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green on blue, another US soldier dies in Afghanistan:

A U.S. service member was killed in an "apparent insider attack" in Kabul, Afghanistan's capital, the U.S. military in Kabul said Saturday. Sgt. 1st Class Debra Richardson, a Resolute Support spokeswoman, said in a statement that another U.S. service member was wounded in the attack.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-ser...an-2018-11-03/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this will probably be cited as a reason why the longest war in US history must continue, despite no prospects for victory or any tangible benefit to the USA:

The Pentagon’s pick for the next commander of U.S. Central Command said on Tuesday the high casualty rate of Afghan security forces would not be sustainable even with the stalemate in the fight against Taliban militants.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1O32CS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US general to Congress: War in Afghanistan is at stalemate

believe they would be able to successfully defend their country,” McKenzie said.

McKenzie said the U.S. and its allies need to keep helping the Afghans recruit and train forces to fight the Taliban’s estimated 60,000 troops.

“They’re fighting hard, but their losses are not going to be sustainable unless we correct this problem,” McKenzie said, in one of the U.S. military’s more dire assessments of the Afghan losses.

In its most recent report to Congress, in October, the special inspector general for Afghanistan said Afghan casualty numbers had been reported only in classified form since September 2017 at the request of the Afghan government. The report, however, said that the average number of casualties between May and October this year was the greatest it has ever been during similar periods.

On Oct. 30, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Afghan forces had more than 1,000 dead and wounded during August and September alone. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said in a November speech that more than 28,000 of his country’s forces had been killed in the last four years.

McKenzie’s grim assessment comes amid growing frustration among Congress over lack of progress in the 17-year Afghan conflict. Lawmakers peppered the general with questions about lack of advancement in the war, and why the Taliban has been gaining control of additional territory.

Sen. Ben Peters, D-Mich., told McKenzie that Congress members have been hearing about a political settlement for years.

“We’ve been at it for 17 years; 17 years is a long time,” said Peters. “What are we doing differently when it comes to the Afghan security forces that we haven’t done for 17 years?”

McKenzie, who is director of the Joint Staff and who served two tours in Afghanistan, acknowledged the frustration. But he said the government has opted to secure the more populated areas of the country, while ceding control of more remote, sparsely occupied regions to the insurgents.

He also voice optimism over the invigorated effort to negotiate peace with the Taliban.

President Donald Trump late last month expressed a willingness to continue support for the war, asserting that the U.S. is in “very strong negotiations,” an apparent reference to U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad’s efforts to get the Taliban to agree to peace talks.

At the same time, however, Trump indicated he had little confidence the talks are going to succeed. “Maybe they’re not. Probably they’re not,” he said.

Khalilzad, who was appointed in September, met Tuesday with Pakistani officials, and a Taliban official said four members from the group’s political office in the Middle Eastern state of Qatar were also in the Pakistani capital. Khalilzad will also travel to Afghanistan, Russia, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Belgium, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.

He held three days of talks with the Taliban in Qatar in November, according to the Taliban. The U.S. has not confirmed or denied direct talks.

McKenzie pushed back against suggestions from lawmakers that peace negotiations are nothing new, and have been discussed in the past. He said the latest push by Khalizad is a new opportunity for the U.S.

He said the Taliban are also “in a stalemate” and it’s critical to maintain unrelenting pressure on the group to force them to the peace table.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news...anistan-is-at/

Mattis Urges End to War in Afghanistan

Secretary of Defense James Mattis is urging the international community to help bring an end to the war in Afghanistan.

“In Afghanistan, it’s approaching 40 years;” he told reporters on Monday. “Forty years is enough and it’s time for everyone to get on board, support the United Nations, support (India’s) Prime Minister (Narendra) Modi, support President (Ashraf) Ghani (of Afghanistan) and all those who are trying to maintain peace and make for a better world here. So, we are on that track.”

His comments were reported by the Afghan media outlet Tolo News.

The Hill noted the U.S. has maintained a military presence in the country since 2001 when the Taliban government was removed from power. The nation has been in conflict since the late 70s.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ji.../04/id/893089/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's your take on this war, Chris?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's your take on this war, Chris?
    It's been in the works for quite some time. A key player was Zbigniew Brzezinski (his daughter is an anchor for mockingbird media outlet MSNBC). He worked with the CIA to train the Mujahideen which would evolve in to "al Qaeda". Now that we have a manufactured enemy and a blueprint for a never ending war (Operation Northwoods) we can move in and start exporting their opium. Fast forward to over 160,000 soldiers deployed to fight 100 "al-Qaeda" soldiers (Thanks Obama!) This was about establishing bases in the Middle East and was bought and paid for by David Rockefeller. Rewind back...we have an exclusive CNN interview with CIA asset Osama Bin Laden. The same Bin Laden that none of our intelligence assets can locate, but CNN found the cave! Create an event (9/11) that gets us in to a never ending war hunting for non-existent weapons of mass destruction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    odd not to mention the guy who started the war, but to thank Obama for sending troops.

do you have the never speaking ill of Republicans disease?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously not.

What's your take on this war, Winehole23?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's been in the works for quite some time. A key player was Zbigniew Brzezinski (his daughter is an anchor for mockingbird media outlet MSNBC). He worked with the CIA to train the Mujahideen which would evolve in to "al Qaeda". Now that we have a manufactured enemy and a blueprint for a never ending war (Operation Northwoods) we can move in and start exporting their opium. Fast forward to over 160,000 soldiers deployed to fight 100 "al-Qaeda" soldiers (Thanks Obama!) This was about establishing bases in the Middle East and was bought and paid for by David Rockefeller. Rewind back...we have an exclusive CNN interview with CIA asset Osama Bin Laden. The same Bin Laden that none of our intelligence assets can locate, but CNN found the cave! Create an event (9/11) that gets us in to a never ending war hunting for non-existent weapons of mass destruction.
    lol multiple Chrispiracies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol ripping off gifs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Afghanistan, Iraq, Africom, $700B/year for Empire, while 100Ks of Americans, kids are homeless, suffering, dying for want of health care

America in permanent, irreversible, unstoppable decline

For America, it's GAMEOVER

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol ripping off gifs
    lol forum cop

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You're the one claiming to be original.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously not.

What's your take on this war, Winehole23?
    No reason to be there after we chased OBL out of the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol ripping off gifs
    I went to sleep.

Sorry you had to wait for your answer, Chris!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Afghanistan, Iraq, Africom, $700B/year for Empire, while 100Ks of Americans, kids are homeless, suffering, dying for want of health care

America in permanent, irreversible, unstoppable decline

For America, it's GAMEOVER
    When the dollar is no longer the global standard, that is when you'll see undeniable decline. At the moment Americans can still buy cheap and the war machine is a major reason for that.

Sidenote: Switzerland referenced lowering of wages for its own people while recently negotiating EU terms. Both political parties in America support cheap labor. The American Dream is as much about creating/importing refugees as it is nurturing its own.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When the dollar is no longer the global standard, that is when you'll see undeniable decline.
    goddamn, you're ing stupid

The 21st century belongs to China, with degraded, declining, oligarchical USA a distant second.

=============

Europe’s central banks are starting to replace dollar reserves with the yuan

https://qz.com/1180434/europes-centr...-chinese-yuan/

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

goddamn, you're ing stupid

The 21st century belongs to China, with degraded, declining, oligarchical USA a distant second.

=============

Europe’s central banks are starting to replace dollar reserves with the yuan

https://qz.com/1180434/europes-centr...-chinese-yuan/

I'm stupid for agreeing with you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm stupid for agreeing with you?
    vehement agreement is a Boutons hallmark.

Thread Information