My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YES!!! It'd be the right choice... plan B Kaman... Plan C Pachulia

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been thinking about bigs we can trade for since the Jefferson rumors started this morning. My perfect scenario would be finding a big who will be making 3.5-4m next season so we can trade Udoka Finley and possibly a pick to get him. But Collison is due to make 6.25m so in order to get him we would have to package Finley Udoka and Mason/Bonner(obviously preferably bonner.) But that still leaves us with only 1 big man outside of Tim and Mahinmi. Unless we can pick up a PF through free agency I think it would be wise to hold on to Bonner for now.

I know I know, I watched his collapse in the playoffs. But I dont think Bonner is a bad fit on this team. Playing 15 minutes a game to space the floor and hit open shots he would still be fine. The problem this last year was Pop playing him like a starter.

If the FO is confident in its ability to pick up another quality big in FA then I would pull the trigger on Bonner/Finley/Udoka for Collison.

*have not checked my math on this, and admittedly dont know much about how this contract would effect our luxury tax situation or the availability of the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason+Finley?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last season, Collison was voted "sweatiest player in the NBA." That'll keep the opposing D a little bit back.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The dudes a solid bigmen. What's he owed though?

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a bad option, we should definitely explore trade options for this guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A straight Bonner and Mason for Collison and Kyle Weaver works on the espn trade machine....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder are said to go after Millsap in the FA. If they get him, Collison could become more available.

Spurs should really offer a package of Bonner + Finley + 2010 first round pick to teams for a legit big man. Players like Collison or Foster are great target for that package. If this package isn't enough to match salaries, Spurs could add after the July moratorium Marcus Williams and his non-guaranteed contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thunder are said to go after Millsap in the FA. If they get him, Collison could become more available.

Spurs should really offer a package of Bonner + Finley + 2010 first round pick to teams for a legit big man. Players like Collison or Foster are great target for that package. If this package isn't enough to match salaries, Spurs could add after the July moratorium Marcus Williams and his non-guaranteed contract.
    I like the idea of adding an experienced rebounding big to be the 1st big off the bench, so that Blair and Mahinmi aren't expected to come in and immediately contribute in a big way. I'd hate to see the Spurs deal that pick, but bigmen aren't cheap in the NBA...

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be a good trade for the Thunder.

Finley being a solid veteran would be good for the youngsters, and its really close to his home in Dallas so its a win win.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Like you said, big men aren't cheap. Even a team wanting to shed some salary will expect a first round pick from the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would be the damn starter on the Spurs?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    It depends on what the Spurs get back. If it's a guy like Collison or Foster I think they move into the starting lineup. Problem with trading for one of these guys is that the MLE wouldn't be used to also get Wallace or McDyess.

So the depth chart would look something like:

Collison, Blair, Oberto (or another cheap option with no impact)
    Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
    Jefferson, Bowen (or another cheap option), Williams
    Mason, Ginobli, McClinton
    Parker, Hill

Personally, I like a roster of:

MLE (Wallace or McDyess), Blair, Bonner
    Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
    Jefferson, Finley, Williams (maybe cut him and bring Bowen back?)
    Mason, Ginobli, McClinton
    Parker, Hill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Collison is the best center on the team, Spurs are screwed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i heard utah is willing to match any offer given to milsap. dont see milsap going anywhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no thanks on Collison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wallace, McDyess, whoever.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    somehow picking Harden made a Collison draft more likely IMO.
    Harden will see plenty of minutes at SG immediately and this pushes Durant full time at his natural position at SF and so Green will play mostly minutes at PF.
    there won't be many minutes left for Collison behind Green and Krstic and Presti might not want to pay a 15-20 minutes back up the 6.5 M that Collison makes, especially with also a healthy White on the roster.
    another point to consider is, that with Westbrook-Harden-Durant-Green the Thunder will once more raise the speed and Collison did already not fit this style last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a deal for Collison is highly likely. Presti will probably be able to pry yet another 1st round pick from his former employer. Collison's KU pedigree give RC wood. And Presti could probably take Bonner and Finley's expiring contracts and flip them into something good at the trade deadline in February, if he doesn't simply use them to cut payroll.

I'm not sure I like Collison that much, though I think he could be a capable reserve bigman.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i heard utah is willing to match any offer given to milsap. dont see milsap going anywhere.
    Boozer is not opting out...so Utah could be SOL on that front.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only like Collison as a 3rd or 4th big on this team, so I'm not sure I want to toss in a 1st rounder for him. If there's a deal to be made here I think it has to be about OKC wanting cap room. The trouble is when do they want that cap room? If they're shooting for 2010 Finley/Bonner for Collison gets them an extra $6.8 in space. But rumors are floating around that they might want to make a run at Milsap right now. Fin/Bon-Collison would give them an extra $600k they could offer up to Milsap, but is that enough to get Presti to bite?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boozer is not opting out...so Utah could be SOL on that front.
    Doubly screwed because Okur didn't opt out either.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Jazz

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubly screwed because Okur didn't opt out either.
    hmm, I don't see it that way. if healthy they are one of the best frontcourt tandems in the league. if the Jazz can somehow re sign Millsap for a reasonable price, they will have a big rotation that is as good as any in the league. If it doesn't work, either Boozer and Okur will be very valuable trading chips at deadline.
    considering the Jazz are closer to being contenders than to rebuilding, this isn't a bad situation. and next season they will also know better what they can expect from Koufos and let Okur walk, if Koufos is ready.
    so IMO they are not screwed. in fact their overall situation looks pretty good.
    (of course, assuming they are willing to pay some lux tax)

Thread Information