Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=4308930

LA GRANDE MOTTE, France -- Seven-time champion Lance Armstrong proved his Tour de France credentials once again when he climbed to third overall following a spectacular third stage on Monday.

Briton Mark Cavendish snatched the stage victory after 122 miles from Marseille to La Grande Motte but the day's big winner was Armstrong, the only favorite who was not caught out by a sharp break from Team Columbia.

Swiss Fabian Cancellara of the Saxo Bank team retained the overall leader's yellow jersey, finishing ahead of German Tony Martin and American Armstrong by 33 and 40 seconds respectively.

Alberto Contador, who was trapped after Team Columbia's move, dropped to fourth overall.

Spaniard Contador, named Astana's team leader ahead of Armstrong, slipped 19 seconds behind the 37-year-old Texan.

"I am not OK with that theory saying there can be only one team leader," said Armstrong.

"I have won seven Tours de France, I will have to be counted in."

Astana sports director Alain Gallopin said there would not be any problems within the team even though Armstrong has somehow upset the hierarchy.

"There are no troubles at all in our team, it's even the contrary," he said.

"If there had been Armstrong and [Saxo Bank's] Andy Schleck up front, that would have been a problem.

"There will be no problem tonight or tomorrow."

Contador said what happened on Monday was unlikely to change his fate.

"I do want to comment on the tactics of the team," he said.

"Everyone can draw their own conclusions. Anyway, the Tour will not be decided with what has happened today. It's just a race incident."

Astana will ride a team time-trial on Tuesday and should they smash the compe ion, Armstrong could snatch the yellow jersey.

"Never say never," the American said.

The peloton split into two around 24 miles from the finish after a sudden burst of acceleration by Team Columbia in strong crosswinds which surprised nearly all the favorites.

"That was awesome, that was the best team effort I've been a part of in 10 years as a pro," Australian Michael Rogers wrote on his Twitter page.

Astana's Levi Leipheimer was also trapped.

"I've never seen the group split so suddenly, one second we were calm and then Columbia hit it in a very short section of crosswind," he said.

Among the leading contenders, only Armstrong, back in the saddle after 3½ years in retirement, was in the front group of some 25 riders who caught four early breakaways.

But the American did not help Columbia widen the gap, initially staying in the middle of the small pack with team mates Haimar Zubeldia and Yaroslav Popovych.

With 9 miles remaining, however, Popovych and Zubeldia started to work with Columbia as the gap finally reached 41 seconds on the finish line.

Cavendish, already a stage winner on Sunday, was the first to cross it, ahead of Norway's Thor Hushovd, who was no match for the Briton's raw power. Frenchman Cyril Lemoine was third.

It would be amazing if Lance pulls this off!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would indeed. But Tour de France and cycling in a whole is all big BS. Everything is based on fakeness. Steroids, complots etc.... It was nice, the sport itself is still nice, but how it is today the nice things have gone...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lance Armstrong was fined $92 for being late today... moved up to 3rd place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would indeed. But Tour de France and cycling in a whole is all big BS. Everything is based on fakeness. Steroids, complots etc.... It was nice, the sport itself is still nice, but how it is today the nice things have gone...

Pretty much like MLB

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Drugs are pervasive in every sport. Even so, what Lance is doing at 37 is truly amazing.

The latest from today...

MONTPELLIER, France -- Lance Armstrong closed within a second of the overall lead at the Tour de France after his Astana squad won Tuesday's team time trial.

Switzerland's Fabian Cancellara of the Saxo Bank team narrowly kept the yellow jersey after the 24.2-mile ride in and around Montpellier.

Astana needed to beat Saxo by more than 40 seconds for Armstrong to take the overall lead. The seven-time champion started the stage in third place, and he and Astana exactly matched that 40-second deficit.

The Tour ends July 26 in Paris.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drugs are pervasive in every sport. Even so, what Lance is doing at 37 is truly amazing.

The latest from today...
    Yeah but especially in cycling, every single cyclist uses it. So the whole sport is fake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its fkn bs how teams with money can just contract better talent riders then then 1 man teams on low budgets like cadel evans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    big issue nowadays nobody is drinking water on Tour de France. I'd love to watch the Tour de France but near 4000 km cycling is too much to do it w/o drugs. Oh and I hate Lance Amstrong, it would be a disaster for the credibility of the compe ion if he win this Tour

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    big issue nowadays nobody is drinking water on Tour de France. I'd love to watch the Tour de France but near 4000 km cycling is too much to do it w/o drugs. Oh and I hate Lance Amstrong, it would be a disaster for the credibility of the compe ion if he win this Tour
    isnt his team mate a fav to win it? lol he must be ting bricks now

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Lance Armstrong has never failed a drug test. Never. I don't see how you can hate on him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lance Armstrong has never failed a drug test. Never. I don't see how you can hate on him.
    Plenty of sportsmen never failed a drug test, but later admited using... that's not a valid argument IMO

Back to the race, Contador should win, Amstrong won't be on the podium, look at the first stage result, he is not what he used to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contador's tour to lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didnt, but that doesnt mean he does not use drugs. Every cyclist use it, and covering the usage up is succesful for 99% of them. Only 1 % gets caught, and thats because a ty dumb mistake. But everyone uses it.

I used to be a big fan of cycling, and i still am just of the sport itself. But its all fake, everyone uses drugs, its not real about the sport and the strength anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Contador's tour to lose.
    Nice sig!

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    So the fact that other cyclists have later admitted to using drugs means you can hate on Lance? WTF??? I don't give a anyway. The dude had tumors removed from his brain and had one of his testicles removed. He's an inspiration to anyone that's been affected by cancer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the fact that other cyclists have later admitted to using drugs means you can hate on Lance? WTF??? I don't give a anyway. The dude had tumors removed from his brain and had one of his testicles removed. He's an inspiration to anyone that's been affected by cancer.
    I don't usually agree with you, TLong, but this time you're exactly right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The guy with only one ball is winning over and over the most difficult / physical compe ion in the world and he is only drinking water, just

30-40 years ago the riders were already known to take drugs.

NOBODY can win this compe ion without cheating, it just doesn't exist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW if you think that Kobe / KG... are bags, I'm sure you don't know very well Amstrong

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    BTW if you think that Kobe / KG... are bags, I'm sure you don't know very well Amstrong
    I know it's your opinion and your in tilted to it but its wrong. Lance has never tested positive for drugs so shut your mouth or show us proof.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Go Lance they hate him and hold him down yet he keeps winning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it over?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that's why when if it comes out he used drugs, it will be even worse. that would be a disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I do know Lance Armstong...he lives near where I live. He rode in a race that rode right by my office this year. The guy is a great person. He has his problems, just like any other human being, but he's far from a bag. And as far as drugs go, he's tested as much, if not more than anyone in the sport after all the accusations...has always come out negative...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lance Armstrong accused of EPO doping in 1999:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Lance_Ar..._of_EPO_doping

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lance armstrong is austin's number one residential water user

then again, he completely and utterly owns the french...
    dude everybody owns the french since L. Fignon and B. Hinault, have you heard about Indurain ? This is not the reason why everybody in France and Europe hate him, he is an arrogant bag. He is maybe adorable in his private life but this is certainly the case of KG or Kobe, now doing his job he is a ing bag.

Thread Information