Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    As I sit here at work, surrounded by beer my mind cannot help but to continually cycle back to the bottle of Harviestoun Ola Dubh 30 sitting in my fridge at home. Will tonight be the night I crack it open and savor it's greatness? Perhaps not... but at least I can dream in the meantime...

So fellow Club Beer Lovers... what is latest to occupy your beer daydreams?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Also - has anyone made their GABF plans yet? We'll be there with Rye Wit, Freetail Ale, Torpor Porter, Verano Sin Fin, La Muerta & an Ancho-Chile ed es in the Pro-Am.

Double facepalm...
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    I am curious about 'wheat' beers. Who makes them? Where can I acquire them?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also - has anyone made their GABF plans yet? We'll be there with Rye Wit, Freetail Ale, Torpor Porter, Verano Sin Fin, La Muerta & an Ancho-Chile ed es in the Pro-Am.
    That ish is great. I was at JJ's place last night, and he had a keg of it in his beer fridge.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    That ish is great. I was at JJ's place last night, and he had a keg of it in his beer fridge.
    Sweet! Yeah, JJ came by yesterday to pick it up. He's a badass dude!

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll be at the GABF. Gonna stop by your place and get me a La Muerta t-shirt so I can sport it there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    My other got me a three month membership to the rare beer club back in late 2008 for my birthday. I still have a bottle left of the Arend Tripel, belgium style ale.

Saving it for a special occasion.

The one out of all three months I liked the best was this though, it's a barleywine from Argentina:

It was, how shall we say, tha bomb.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    No idea in your area. They are abundant in Oregon.

They are calls a "Weisen." A "Hefeweisen" is far more common. Both are wheat beers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Stay thirsty my friends

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No idea in your area. They are abundant in Oregon.

They are calls a "Weisen." A "Hefeweisen" is far more common. Both are wheat beers.
    Gotta love Oregon.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Paulaner Hefeweizen is pretty good, and not hard to find. It beats the out of the other wheats you can find readily (i.e., Sierra Nevada Wheat, Pyramid Hefeweizen, Shiner Hefeweizen, Sam Adams Summer Ale [by far the worst], etc.).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Man, all those bottles look super cool

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The problem i have with hef's is that they fill me up really fast. I can't drink more than 3 or 4 without feeling completely full.

They're more of a "chilling out" beer than a "party" beer for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Oettinger is a nice example of quality wheat beer. I'm sure someone in the interweb sells it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    The problem i have with hef's is that they fill me up really fast. I can't drink more than 3 or 4 without feeling completely full.

They're more of a "chilling out" beer than a "party" beer for me.
    Well, beer is actually a form of food. You're simply drinking allot of liquid wheat bread!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    As far as wheat beers go I'm more partial to Wit's than Weizen (be it a hefe, krystal or American wheat) than any other. A great commercial example available just about anywhere are Blanche de Bruxelles, and Avery White Rascal for something produced by an American brewery. Allagash White is another good one.

On the Weizen side, Breckenridge Agave Wheat is mighty mighty good for these brutal summer days.

Notorious, sadly we are actually out of La Muerta shirts, but have some Freetail Ale shirts in that are pretty rad (in addition to some plain Freetail shirts). Hope to see you in Denver (or before then even).

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'll be at the GABF. Round trip flights on Southwest are nice atm - ~150 with fees.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I want to try that Sam Adams Summer Ale. It looks good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    This is the one you want to go. July 23-26. Many prefer it to the GABF.

http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is the one you want to go. July 23-26. Many prefer it to the GABF.

http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/
    I attended the GABF in Denver several years ago. It was great, trying samples of every beer available. Talk about getting buzzed....

I'll never forget Hemp Ale though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Had a bunch of Steel Reserve 211 last night. I'm well aware there is better tasting beer out there. I just wanted a stronger beer, something short of getting a bottle of Jack.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Had a bunch of Steel Reserve 211 last night. I'm well aware there is better tasting beer out there. I just wanted a stronger beer, something short of getting a bottle of Jack.
    Well, the Germans would not call that beer.

wiki: Reinheitsgebot

The Reinheitsgebot (literally "purity order"), sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, is a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops.

And yeast. At the time of the original law, they used natural fermentation until the role of yeast was understood.

Still, cheap beers and big brewer beers are not real beers. They contain Corn Sugar, rice malt, or other additives that make it illegal to call beer in Germany.

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Where do you work Scott?

I'm currently awaiting the new Saint Arnold's Divine brew - hoping I can get some when it comes out. It sells out pretty fast here in Houston.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Well, the Germans would not call that beer.

wiki: Reinheitsgebot

The Reinheitsgebot (literally "purity order"), sometimes called the "German Beer Purity Law" or the "Bavarian Purity Law" in English, is a regulation concerning the production of beer in Germany. In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops.

And yeast. At the time of the original law, they used natural fermentation until the role of yeast was understood.

Still, cheap beers and big brewer beers are not real beers. They contain Corn Sugar, rice malt, or other additives that make it illegal to call beer in Germany.
    While I agree that Steel Reserve isn't real beer - Reinheitsgebot is more of a marketing ploy than it is a anything in Germany these days. It's no longer an in-effect law and only in Bavaria does anybody really seem to give a crap. Even then, technically Weissbiers would be in violation of Reinheitsgebot. Tons of awesome funky American craft beers (that use other natural ingredients) would also be in violation.

Germany has a new, but slowly evolving craft beer scene themselves, but beer as a whole is down over there. I suspect partly because the Purity Law tradition has effectively stifled any innovation in brewing. German's have been drinking the same beer for 500 years (but they are definitely the best at making those particular traditional styles!).

This is making me thirsty... I'm thinkful I'll be drinking a lot of great beer tonight!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Where do you work Scott?

I'm currently awaiting the new Saint Arnold's Divine brew - hoping I can get some when it comes out. It sells out pretty fast here in Houston.
    I work for Freetail Brewing Co.

I still have a couple bottles of DR6 in my fridge... your post reminds me it might be time to crack one open.

Thread Information