Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephen...r-its-all-over

Long story short, Netflix went in on cable tv; Disney+ streaming service is about to go deep on Netflix.

I'd sell Netflix stock now if I had it

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This writer is a little too "rah rah" about the subject, especially given his unconvincing assumptions.

He presumes that Netflix will see a crippling loss of subscribers when Disney+ launches, as though there is only room for one of the two platforms in a home. Netflix's relative dominance doesn't seem to be pushing Hulu towards collapse. HBOGO and HBONOW are still doing fine.

Will there be switchers? Sure. But you know who else will lose a ton of (and possibly more) subscribers when Disney+ launches? Cable. That's another big pool of people for Netflix to pull from. Will the people dropping a $50/month cable subscription have any problem picking up Netflix and Disney+ at less than $20/month total?

Disney has great content but I can't imagine choosing to watch it exclusively, without other options. I'll be subscribing for sure... On top of my subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO and DirecTV Now.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    As to Netflix stock, hopefully their stock does tank so I can buy in at the bottom. I'm still kicking myself for not buying when everyone predicted their demise over splitting their DVD and streaming businesses.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just have to laugh at what the guy decided to name the article. Comes off as desperate click bait and one of those the end of the world prophecies that never quite come true.

Disney has a short window in which they can impact Netflix's bottom line and that's at the start with their low price. But eventually like Netflix they will be force to hike up their prices.

I doubt Disney has enough content to keep people from jumping ship at some point. Netflix is just too big now to overtake, imo.

To the point where people believe Netflix is putting out better original content than even HBO now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'm going to start staggering some of my subscriptions. On most of the services the original content stays there forever and there's not really a downside to unsubscribing most of them (Prime and DirecTV Now are the exceptions I can think of, the latter because I wouldn't be able to get my channel package back). If it's anything like cable you'll be eligible for promo deals after a few months anyway.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This writer is a little too "rah rah" about the subject, especially given his unconvincing assumptions.

He presumes that Netflix will see a crippling loss of subscribers when Disney+ launches, as though there is only room for one of the two platforms in a home. Netflix's relative dominance doesn't seem to be pushing Hulu towards collapse. HBOGO and HBONOW are still doing fine.

Will there be switchers? Sure. But you know who else will lose a ton of (and possibly more) subscribers when Disney+ launches? Cable. That's another big pool of people for Netflix to pull from. Will the people dropping a $50/month cable subscription have any problem picking up Netflix and Disney+ at less than $20/month total?

Disney has great content but I can't imagine choosing to watch it exclusively, without other options. I'll be subscribing for sure... On top of my subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO and DirecTV Now.
    Yeah...I won't be switching...I'll just add and pay the extra $6 per month.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm going to start staggering some of my subscriptions. On most of the services the original content stays there forever and there's not really a downside to unsubscribing most of them (Prime and DirecTV Now are the exceptions I can think of, the latter because I wouldn't be able to get my channel package back). If it's anything like cable you'll be eligible for promo deals after a few months anyway.
    I’ve noticed a lot, not all, of the movies available are pretty much available across all platforms. It’s like the movie company’s decide which ones will be available for the next 3 months. I know there are a handful of exclusives, but overall, they pretty much rotate the same movies at the same time across the platforms.

Edit: I’m not referring to the premium channel movies like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, etc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I’ve noticed a lot, not all, of the movies available are pretty much available across all platforms. It’s like the movie company’s decide which ones will be available for the next 3 months. I know there are a handful of exclusives, but overall, they pretty much rotate the same movies at the same time across the platforms.

Edit: I’m not referring to the premium channel movies like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, etc.
    I believe the rights to Lionsgate/Epix movies get sold to just about anyone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i subscribed to hbo just for GoT season tbh

otherwise i have prime and netflix

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I got DC Universe on a good promo and I've really enjoyed Doom Patrol. Now that its season is over Friday I'll cancel and binge when Swamp Thing has run its course.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Question

How does Hulu work? Do you need the firestick? Is it connected to the internet?

We have Dish in three rooms but only the firestick/Netflix in the front room.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Don't you have a computer genius to help you with this?

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Don't you have a computer genius to help you with this?
    I don't want to change anything, Judy does. If Chris gets involved then that would be me giving in.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I don't want to change anything, Judy does. If Chris gets involved then that would be me giving in.
    Holy that's petty.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Holy that's petty.

Pavlov, there is NOBODY anywhere who rivals you when it comes to petty. You really need to read yourself guy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Pavlov, there is NOBODY anywhere who rivals you when it comes to petty. You really need to read yourself guy.
    You're lying to your wife.

About Hulu.

It doesn't get any more petty than that.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    You're lying to your wife.

About Hulu.

It doesn't get any more petty than that.
    Stupid, what lie?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Stupid, what lie?
    Does she know you're asking people online about the Hulu?

Yes or no.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    As to Netflix stock, hopefully their stock does tank so I can buy in at the bottom. I'm still kicking myself for not buying when everyone predicted their demise over splitting their DVD and streaming businesses.
    They had an initial e in stock price in the first year of streaming and then went back down in year two. That's when presumably level-headed people figured streaming wasn't going to be so lucrative after all. Also, the fact that they were steady around $5 per share for almost a decade straight before streaming had people overlooking the potential revolution of a loved but not overly believed in company (from a shareholder p.o.v.).

But if you had gotten in at that time and stuck with it, yea you could've gotten 40X richer now. That's great, but there are even better ones to have gotten in on like maybe google, amazon, chipolte, etc. (I'm estimating off the top of my head).

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    i subscribed to hbo just for GoT season tbh

otherwise i have prime and netflix
    I'm going to do that at some point to catch the final two seasons, tbh. I considered doing it at the start of the month just so I could get caught up and watch the finale with everyone else, but too much going I guess.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

If Disney pulls all of their content from every streaming source including Netflix and Hulu, I think I drop them. Especially Netflix.

I also think they need to add some must see original programming pretty fast. A lot of their original movies and shows lately have been .

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    One of the few who don't care for the vast majority of Disney's IPs, so I'll still roll with Netflix and Hulu.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Does she know you're asking people online about the Hulu?

Yes or no.
    She does now because I just told her.

She thinks we pay too much for what we now have, thinks Hulu is cheaper. I like what we have and don't want to that up.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    She does now because I just told her.

She thinks we pay too much for what we now have, thinks Hulu is cheaper. I like what we have and don't want to that up.
    I shamed you into fessing up.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    I shamed you into fessing up.
    Pavlov, I hadn't seen her until early this morning, she just walked in, ok?

Dude, actually thinking, hahahahahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thread Information