Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any knowledgeable Spurs fan that wanted him back? And if so why? Implicit in this analysis is that someone would be willing to step up and fork over $4-5 million for Drew, which we would not do. Notice I did not say "dumb enough", although is implied too. I can never resist taking a shot at Cubus (Cuban + Dufus). Has any owner gotten less return on their NBA dollar than that idiot?
    Dampier J-kidd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gooden to Dallas? . . . soft, can't defend, kind of a . . . yep, sounds about right.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $4.5 million of the MLE for 1 year. The Mavs will pay no luxury tax on Gooden's salary. What is this $10 million you're talking about?
    They will pay lux tax on all of his salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Gooden to Dallas? . . . soft, can't defend, kind of a . . . yep, sounds about right.
    This thread isn't about Richard Jefferson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Mel. The MLE allows you to sign a player but the salary still counts against the LT. We went through this extensively with the signing of Dice.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I don't get this at ude at all coming from some Mavs fans. So you're happy with the Mavs being willing to guarantee an assload of money & years to an unproven foreign center who in his best year averaged 4/4 for the season......but a guy who is an experienced, career 12/8 player that signed a very risk free deal is "underwhelming"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread isn't about Richard Jefferson.
    lol

Jefferson is Bowen and Ben Wallace circa 2004 rolled into one compared to Gooden.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    lol

Jefferson is Bowen and Ben Wallace circa 2004 rolled into one compared to Gooden.
    rofl I'd love to know what your opinion of Richard Jefferson was a year ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think these Mav fans are smart enough to know we cast him off for a reason. There is some strong 12/8-type players of which Gooden is not. That was the tease, looks good on paper, not so much on the court.

When we finally get some updated salary info, it will be worth a thread just to make fun of the Mavs payroll. They must be sitting around $90 million now, highest in the league unless the Lakes sign Odom.

Edit: Gooden's stats were about equal with Odom's. Who would you rather have I rest my case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rofl I'd love to know what your opinion of Richard Jefferson was a year ago.
    It's the same opinion I have of him now. A really good player. I would have loved him on this team a year ago and was hoping the Spurs trying to trade for him at the deadline rumor was true.

My comment that you quoted is pretty straight forward however exaggerated it was. Gooden's defense is terrible.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I think these Mav fans are smart enough to know we cast him off for a reason. There is some strong 12/8-type players of which Gooden is not. That was the tease, looks good on paper, not so much on the court.
    I don't think Mavs fans are expecting him to perform miracles. Just be a serviceable backup big man. Which he's more than capable of doing.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The does it matter to you how my man Cubes spends his $? Dude wipes his ass with $90 million!

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Edit: Gooden's stats were about equal with Odom's. Who would you rather have I rest my case.
    Obviously if the Mavs thought they still had a chance to get Odom, they would have kept at that. Odom wasn't coming to Dallas, so they got the next best available big man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The does it matter to you how my man Cubes spends his $? Dude wipes his ass with $90 million!
    Because no matter how hard he tries he can't buy a le, which he obviously wants more than anything in the world. It's entertaining to see him continue to up over and over. And he dissed the Riverwalk!

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    And he dissed the Riverwalk!
    Who doesn't?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously if the Mavs thought they still had a chance to get Odom, they would have kept at that. Odom wasn't coming to Dallas, so they got the next best available big man.
    Just saying there is a huge gap between those two 12/8 guys. Lakers were about to fork over $10 million per season for Odom and still might! That's $20 million in LT dollars, and still may happen.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They will pay lux tax on all of his salary.
    Explain to me how the MLE gets taxed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's sacreligous! Quick mods pink this crazy Sonics fan!

I would be ornery too if I was pulling for the Sonics, OMFG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap

Your welcome.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    A team is allowed to sign one player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available to any team that exceeds the salary cap at the beginning of the offseason. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2008-09 NBA season was $5.585 million.[5] The MLE is $5.854 million for the 2009-10 NBA regular season.[6]
    An example would be the Toronto Raptors' acquisition of Jason Kapono during the 2007 off-season.
    Explain to me how the MLE counts toward the luxury tax. It's always been my understanding a team can use the MLE if they're over the cap and it doesn't count towards the luxury tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's always been my understanding the MLE doesn't count toward the luxury tax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Explain to me how the MLE counts toward the luxury tax. It's always been my understanding a team can use the MLE if they're over the cap and it doesn't count towards the luxury tax.
    If you're over the lux tax threshold EVERYTHING is taxed. Every last cent in team salaries is taxed. The MLE does not have any immunity against it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty simple, the MLE gets doubled if you are over the cap, keep hunting that page and you'll find it.

Thread Information