Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one time, the ghetto heb was having a price war with a diamond shamrock across the street and i swear it went as low as 79 cents just for one day and there were cars lining up around the corner of the street

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i couldnt have said it better myself

and mannys pretty sharp 2pac
    I've known manny a few years. Just ribbin on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's because you arent smart.
    Or because you didn't understand what I wrote?

Show me a direct correlation between military presence and oil dependance.

The military has no bearing on us being dependant on oil - we are dependant because everyone has a car - some people multiple cars. This website is basically devoted to a group of men who exemplify that excess.
    What I was saying was we have to patrol the Persian Gulf region because of our dependence on oil. That dependence is due in large part to the American love affair with the car. People will drive all over the place without a second thought because of the cheapness of gas. However, the security of the oil that is used to make that gas is very expensive. The people that drive the most and should carry a larger burden of paying for the security of the resource they are using.

It's not a concept that is unfair in the least, but it never has a chance of of being put into effect. No, talk about raising gas prices and you are assuring yourself of losing votes faster than if you start a bad war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you use products that are trucked in manny... so, whether you drive or not, you are also part of the problem you speak of..

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you use products that are trucked in manny... so, whether you drive or not, you are also part of the problem you speak of..
    If the Minutemen started shooting truckers on the southernmost stretch of I-35 ....

nevermind, bad thought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well no . But you miss two points.

First, if there was a higher gas tax, the price of shipping those goods would go up, and in turn the price of the good. That would in turn appply the appropriate funding for the military in the gulf. The theory still holds.

Secondly, there is a big difference in being part of the cycle in an efficent manner and an unessecary wasteful manner. We all use oil in many ways each day, but you're going to tell me that the person who uses public transportation or drives a fuel efficent vehicle carries as much burden as someone who drives a Hummer with one passenger?

I'd love to see you justify that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and before you give me crap about the economic impact of a gas tax that would be used to fund the military in the gulf that supports it....

Think about how much of the income tax currently goes torwards that same function,and think how much we would be able to scale it back.

However, politicians aren't going to start holding people accountable the way they should now are they?

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    I drive a lot. I spend between $80-$120 in gas a week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are well on our way to the $4 per gallon I predicted a year ago

Even I went to a GTG iminlakerland's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    i remember living in california in 1995 and paying 1.50-1.60.. 10 years later paying 2.10 is not that bad...

Actually in the mid 90's in the san fernando valley my mom was paying on average maybe $1.15 for unleaded gas. Now the cheapest you will find is $2.48 it has more than doubled in 10 years. Not sure what part of Cali you lived in but those gas prices are inflated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now let's take a look at what some of those Republicans had to say in 2000, when gas was around a full dollar cheaper per gallon than it is today:

Rep. Terry Everett: "The Clinton Administration has failed in its duty to develop a policy to deal with our national energy supply and is therefore directly accountable for the higher prices Americans are now paying at the gas pumps."

Dennis Hastert: "House Speaker Dennis Hastert accused the Clinton administration Friday of misleading members of Congress about the causes of skyrocketing gas prices in the Midwest."

Rep. Wally Herger: "Congressman Wally Herger recently denounced the Clinton-Gore Administration's complacency during the current gas price crisis. 'Northern Californians are being held hostage at the gas pump,' Herger said. 'The Clinton-Gore Administration has demonstrated a complete and total lack of leadership in preventing this problem. It is a clear failure of domestic and foreign policy.'"

Larry Kudlow: "The Clinton-Gore administration’s hapless and incoherent management of foreign policy is nowhere as evident as in their bungling on OPEC’s oil-price hike. ... While crude oil prices could drop to $25 per barrel, they will stay well above the average $20 real price of oil registered over the past ten years. And way above the $10 worldwide average marginal cost of producing new oil. Meanwhile gas prices at the pump are likely to be upwards of $2 per gallon well into the summer."

Glenn Spencer: "In recent weeks, gas prices have surged to their highest level in a decade. Prices for home heating oil and natural gas are expected to rise by about 30 percent this winter. ... With the Clinton-Gore administration's policies largely to blame for the pain being felt by consumers, Vice President Gore's camp has pulled out all the stops to shift blame away from his own administration."

Various Repubs: "Representatives Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Menomonee Falls), Tom Petri (R-Fond du Lac), Paul Ryan (R-Janesville), and Mark Green (R-Green Bay) today blasted Energy Secretary Bill Richardson and the Clinton-Gore Administration for their failure to implement a comprehensive energy policy to deal with staggering gas prices Wisconsin consumers continue to face at the pumps."

So, gas is about 60-75% per gallon more at the pump and oil is about 100% more per barrel than it was when these moaning minnies were whining about how much Bill Clinton and Al Gore sucked, but now George W. Bush is the president - why, his don't stink. Perhaps they're still waiting for him to "jawbone" OPEC? Either that or they don't care about gas prices now that he's, y'know, got the gays on the run.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it possible that the action or lack of action years ago is what is coming to bite us in the butt now?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are well on our way to the $4 per gallon I predicted a year ago
    Don't start patting yourself on the back, Dan... we all remember you predicted a $4 gallon by the end of 2004.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually in the mid 90's in the san fernando valley my mom was paying on average maybe $1.15 for unleaded gas. Now the cheapest you will find is $2.48 it has more than doubled in 10 years. Not sure what part of Cali you lived in but those gas prices are inflated.
    i was living in monterrey california...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First, if there was a higher gas tax, the price of shipping those goods would go up, and in turn the price of the good. That would in turn appply the appropriate funding for the military in the gulf. The theory still holds.

Secondly, there is a big difference in being part of the cycle in an efficent manner and an unessecary wasteful manner. We all use oil in many ways each day, but you're going to tell me that the person who uses public transportation or drives a fuel efficent vehicle carries as much burden as someone who drives a Hummer with one passenger?

just because you can't afford a car don't try to act like you are being mr. fuel efficient...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Remember when you complained about personal insults coming from me?

So whats the deal this time? I post something that you can't argue against, so you have to drop that?

I can afford a car (I'd be careful about talking about things you really don't know much about like that. Then again, that would really limit would you would be able to talk about, wouldn't it?), and even if I couldn't, I've never owned a car thats gotten less than 30 mpg. I've also been very enviromentaly conscious for a long time.

Anyhow, back to the what I said. No holes in it, are there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMHO, hybrid cars are the way to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

who knows where the money would be used... you are guessing the gas tax would be used for the military... just a guess though...

as far as the second point.. that man that drives the hummer probably adds more to the economy than the guy driving the honda civic... also, if gas is taxed for the military then the hummer driver would do more for the economy bc he will be generating additional revenue by guzzling more gas.. therefore, there would not be an incentive to drive fuel efficient cars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one am very fortunate.. I don't drive to work.. My commute is down the stairs and across a small parking lot. Most of my driving involves taking kids to school, picking up, and errands... So I can't too much. Now my husband on the other hand just filled his work truck up for 75.00 OUCH!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who knows where the money would be used... you are guessing the gas tax would be used for the military... just a guess though...
    Even if it went to pay for something else, that free's up funds form an income tax, and taxes users of a service which is obviously costing us tax dollars. It really doesn't matter what you spend hte money on, because the new money being generated can free up income tax money either way. I simply use the military as a reference because there is a direct cost from an our oil usage.

Nobody is proposing it, and it's not going to happen, but the theory is sound.

as far as the second point.. that man that drives the hummer probably adds more to the economy than the guy driving the honda civic...
    On what grounds?

also, if gas is taxed for the military then the hummer driver would do more for the economy bc he will be generating additional revenue by guzzling more gas.. therefore, there would not be an incentive to drive fuel efficient cars.
    Uh, wtf? Only in a world where the largest motivator is the general economy over your own personal costs. Are you trying to say, that a consumer is going to spend more money on gas because he feels he's helping the economy?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. Higher costs push development torwards other atlernatives because higher costs are unwanted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the purchase of a hummer alone brings in thousands more in taxes than does the purchase of a civic.. also, if a guy is able to buy a hummer he most likely purchases other high end products and services...

Uh, wtf? Only in a world where the largest motivator is the general economy over your own personal costs. Are you trying to say, that a consumer is going to spend more money on gas because he feels he's helping the economy?

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. Higher costs push development torwards other atlernatives because higher costs are unwanted.
    if you tax gas for the military and then people stop driving, then what? how do we fund the military?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    soon price creep starts effecting the costs of production and transportation of retailers for durable and non-durable goods, and it won't be just gas that we will all be paying more - its inflationary.
    This is a fact. The cost of oil affects everything in the supply chain, regardless of industry.

Also, the largest reason for the increase is the (permanent) shift in the global demand curve caused by a rapidly developing China. No single solution is going to solve the problem of gas prices in neither the near nor long term.
    Last edited by tsb2000; 04-12-2005 at 01:25 PM.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amen!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if a guy is able to buy a hummer he most likely purchases other high end products and services...

dam we should all get hummers
    people who drive hummers are better americans than you and me

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dam we should all get hummers
    people who drive hummers are better americans than you and me
    If they buy the H1s. The H2s are complete wastes.

Thread Information