San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no if they have onstar* that only comes on the h2
    then its like theyre giving big brother oral sex

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can get H1s with diesel though. Plus they are really meant to go offroad. IE - They don't have running boards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    H2's are nothing but super SUV's for people that have to have them. There is nothing you "need" an H2 for. NOTHING.

If you really want something to go offroad, or use on a ranch, the last thing you are going to get is a ing H2.

India and China have driven up the cost of oil, but not all that much. Especialy when you consider that they are much more coal based than they are oil based economies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the purchase of a hummer alone brings in thousands more in taxes than does the purchase of a civic.. also, if a guy is able to buy a hummer he most likely purchases other high end products and services...
    Ok, he also places a higher burden on the economy with his inefficent vehicle that drives up gas prices. Also, the taxes are on the state and local level, not federal, therefor have no positive impact on federal budget items, such as the military

if you tax gas for the military and then people stop driving, then what? how do we fund the military?
    In other ways, but we'll have no reason to be in the Persian Gulf and thereby reducing the need for patrols in the area, and thereby cutting military costs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally think it is price gouging by the oil companies.....I never hear of the big oil companies have financial difficulties......if they were to keep the prices down around $1.50 they still would make money......instead of $2-3 billion, they would only make $1-2 billion...pity they may go broke.......not in my lifetime......I own a Hyundai Accent....decent mileage....keep up regular maintainance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not price gouging. The demand worldwide simply continues to go up, even here in the United States. More drivers are on the road now than ever before, and the collective efficency of vehicles is actually sliding DOWN, not rising.

In otherwords, we're becoming much more inefficent with a supply that is not growing. That only serves to drive up demand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China has increased the demand for oil bigtime.

And on a side note:

http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

Middle East Supply Interruptions

Yom Kippur War - Arab Oil Embargo
    In 1972 the price of crude oil was about $3.00 per barrel and by the end of 1974 the price of oil had quadrupled to over $12.00. The Yom Kippur War started with an attack on Israel by Syria and Egypt on October 5, 1973. The United States and many countries in the western world showed strong support for Israel. As a result of this support several Arab exporting nations imposed an embargo on the countries supporting Israel. Arab nations curtailed production by 5 million barrels per day (MMBPD) about 1 MMBPD was made up by increased production in other countries. The net loss of 4 MMBPD extended through March of 1974 and represented 7 percent of the free world production.

If there was any doubt that the ability to control crude oil prices had passed from the United States to OPEC it was removed during the Arab Oil Embargo. The extreme sensitivity of prices to supply shortages became all too apparent when prices increased 400 percent in six short months.

From 1974 to 1978 world crude oil prices were relatively flat ranging from $12.21 per barrel to $13.55 per barrel. When adjusted for inflation the prices were constant over this period of time.

Crises in Iran and Iraq
    Events in Iran and Iraq led to another round of crude oil price increases in 1979 and 1980. The Iranian revolution resulted in the loss of 2 to 2.5 million barrels of oil per day between November of 1978 and June of 1979. In 1980 as a result of the Iran/Iraq War, Iraq's crude oil production fell 2.7 MMBPD and Iran's production fell 600,000 barrels per day. The combination of these two events resulted in crude oil prices more than doubling from $14 in 1978 to $35 per barrel in 1981.
    U.S. and World Events and Oil Prices 1973-1981
    Middle East, OPEC and Crude Oil Prices 1947-1973
    Click on graph for larger view
    US Oil Price Controls - Bad Policy?
    The rapid increase in crude prices in this period would have been much less were it not for United States energy policy during the post Embargo period. The US imposed price controls on domestically produced oil in an attempt to lessen the impact of the 1973-74 price increase. The obvious result of the price controls was that U.S. consumers of crude oil paid 48 percent more for imports than domestic production. Of course U.S producers received less.

Did the policy achieve its goal? In the short term the recession induced by the 1973-1974 crude oil price rise was less. However, it had other effects as well. In the absence of price controls U.S. exploration and production would certainly have been significantly greater. The higher prices faced by consumers would have resulted in lower rates of consumption: automobiles would have had higher mileage sooner, homes and commercial buildings would have been better insulated and improvements in industrial energy efficiency would have been greater than they were during this period. As a consequence, the United States would have been less dependent on imports in 1979-1980 and the price increase in response to Iranian and Iraqi supply interruptions would have been significantly less.

US Oil Price Controls 1973-1981
    US Price Controls 1973-1981 Refiners Aquisition Cost of Crude Oil
    OPEC's Failure to Control Crude Oil Prices
    OPEC has seldom been effective at controlling prices. While often referred to as one OPEC does not satisfy the definition of a cartel. One of the primary requirements is a mechanism to enforce member quotas. During the 1979-1980 period of rapidly increasing prices, Saudi Arabia's oil minister Ahmed Yamani repeatedly warned other members of OPEC that high prices would lead to a reduction in demand. His warnings fell on deaf ears. The rapid price increases caused several reactions among consumers: better insulation in new homes, increased insulation in many older homes, more energy efficiency in industrial processes, and automobiles with higher mileage.
    These factors along with a global recession caused a reduction in demand which led to falling crude prices. Unfortunately for OPEC only the global recession was temporary. Nobody rushed to remove insulation from their homes or to replace energy efficient plants and equipment -- much of the reaction to the oil price increase of the end of the decade was permanent and would not respond to lower prices with increased demand for oil.

From 1982 to 1985 OPEC attempted to set production quotas low enough to stabilize prices. These attempts met with repeated failure as various members of OPEC would produce beyond their quotas. During most of this period Saudi Arabia acted as the swing producer cutting its production to stem the free falling prices. In August of 1985, the Saudis tired of this roll. They linked their oil prices to the spot market for crude and by early 1986 increased production from 2 MMBPD to 5 MMBPD. Crude oil prices plummeted below $10 per barrel by mid year.

A December 1986 OPEC price accord set to target $18 per barrel was already breaking down by January of 1987. Prices remained weak. The price of crude oil ed in 1990 with the uncertainty associated Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and the ensuing Gulf War, but following the war crude oil prices entered a steady decline until in 1994 inflation adjusted prices attained their lowest level since 1973.

World Events and Crude Oil Prices 1981-1998
    World Events and Crude Oil Prices 1981-1998
    The price cycle then turned up. The United States economy was strong and the Asian Pacific region was booming. From 1990 to 1997 world oil consumption increased 6.2 million barrels per day. Asian consumption accounted for all but 300,000 barrels per day of that gain and contributed to the price recovery that extended into 1997.

The price increases came to a rapid end when the impact of the economic crisis in Asia was either ignored or severely underestimated by OPEC. In December, 1997 OPEC increased its quota 2.5 million barrels per day (10 percent) to 27.5 MMBPD effective January 1, 1998. The rapid growth in Asian economies had come to a halt and in 1998 Asain Pacific oil consumption declined for the first time since 1982. The combination of lower consumption and higher OPEC production sent prices into a downward spiral In response OPEC cut quotas by 1.25 million b/d in April and 1.335 million in July. Price continued down through December 1998. Prices began to recover in early 1999 as OPEC reduced prices another 1.719 million barels in April 1999.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have any figures on China?

Besides, when talking about demand with gas prices, it's important to focus on the gas and not oil. There is plenty of oil, but the companies can't refine it fast enough which is what is really lowering the supply for gas and thereby driving up the cost.

In other words, even if China has driven up the cost of oil, it's not making the prices rise as much as higher demand and lower supply of actual gasoline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, if oil goes up gas goes up. Sure there is problems with limited refining, but has the demand for gasoline gone up 25-35% in the last year? But has the price of oil gone up? See the correlation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't verfied the China numbers. It's what I have been hearing from industry sources.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oil and gas prices are related as much as manny would like argue otherwise... if you have 2 barrels of oil and one costs $25 and the other $58.. the second barrel of oil is going to produce a gas that is more expensive...

and china has a lot to do with the price of oil...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyway i'm saving up to buy one of those civic hybrids
    all i need is like, however much they cost, more
    Last edited by mookie2001; 09-26-2005 at 01:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, if oil goes up gas goes up. Sure there is problems with limited refining, but has the demand for gasoline gone up 25-35% in the last year? But has the price of oil gone up? See the correlation?
    Chris and Clandestino, seriously, reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.

Besides, when talking about demand with gas prices, it's important to focus on the gas and not oil. There is plenty of oil, but the companies can't refine it fast enough which is what is really lowering the supply for gas and thereby driving up the cost.

In other words, even if China has driven up the cost of oil, it's not making the prices rise as much as higher demand and lower supply of actual gasoline.
    Yes, as the price of oil goes up, so does the price of gas because you need to purchase oil to make gas. But there is the added variable of how fast you can actualy make the gas. Right now, the gas supply is not meeting the demand because of the fact that companies can't refine the oil fast enough.

So while yes, the record oil prices are driving up gas prices, a much larger factor in driving up those gas prices is the supply shortage because of refining capacity.

Are you following?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oil and gas prices are related as much as manny would like argue otherwise... if you have 2 barrels of oil and one costs $25 and the other $58.. the second barrel of oil is going to produce a gas that is more expensive...

and china has a lot to do with the price of oil...
    It's frustrating when I type something out in plain English, and you read something I never said. Find me where I said that an increase in oil prices would not cause an increase in gas prices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and why is one of the reasons there is an oil or gas shortage??? INCREASED DEMAND IN MOTHER ING CHINA has played a part!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gas shortage does not equal oil shortage. You aren't seperating the 2. There are shortages of both, but there is a larger shortage of gas when compared to the corresponding oil shortage.

To make it simpler, if we had a larger refining capacity we'd be able to drop the price of gas even if the supply of oil didn't change.

I acknowledged that China has played a part, but it's not as large as the lack of refinnig ability.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gas shortage does not equal oil shortage. You aren't seperating the 2. There are shortages of both, but there is a larger shortage of gas when compared to the corresponding oil shortage.

To make it simpler, if we had a larger refining capacity we'd be able to drop the price of gas even if the supply of oil didn't change.

I acknowledged that China has played a part, but it's not as large as the lack of refinnig ability.
    You're partly right however, if the environmentalists would get off industry's back, we'd have plenty of refining capability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so, you're telling me that even if oil was at $25 a gallon, gas prices in the us would still be at 2 bux now? I say bull- ing- ...

oh, so if we had the refining capacity, but no oil to even refine gas would be cheaper? stfu!!! where do you come up with this logic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're partly right however, if the environmentalists would get off industry's back, we'd have plenty of refining capability.
    Yeah, but then there would probably be a lot more pollution as well. I'm not one to trust the industry to police itself, it doesn't have a great trackrecord.

Also, I don't think the longterm solution is in oil to begin with, so increased refining is an expensive short term solution. I think that refiners realize this, or else with refinine margins what they are today, Valero and the like would have at least built a new refinery or 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so, you're telling me that even if oil was at $25 a gallon, gas prices in the us would still be at 2 bux now? I say bull- ing- ...
    No, thats not what I said. If the price of oil dropped, there would be a gas price drop.

Exactly what part of me saying there is a direct corolation between the price of oil and gas do you not understand?

oh, so if we had the refining capacity, but no oil to even refine gas would be cheaper? stfu!!! where do you come up with this logic?
    There is more oil avaible than can be refined right now. The words oil shortage are misleading. There is a lower supply and a higher demand, but it is not a shortage in the sense of that you can't get oil.

There is more oil avaiable than can be refined at the moment. So, once again, if the refinnig capacity were to increase there would be oil there to accomadate that which would increase the supply of gasoline. By increasing the supply of gas, you'd drop the price.

Seriously, it's not that complex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you said it yourself.. there are SHORTAGES OF BOTH! so, regardless of the refining capacity there is STILL A SHORTAGE OF OIL!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In case no one in this thread mentioned it, oil is a major ingredient in PLASTIC.

Raise your hand if you or anyone you know use anything made out of that stuff, or know what it can be used in/for.

It's not just transporation. Many plastic injection molders in the country, for example, folded and sent their jobs overseas, where the cheaper labor made up for the hike in the cost of oil...which drastically increased the cost of manufacturing the plastic resin. I was one of those people.

It's not just a matter of your daily commute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plastic is found in quattro razors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I {heart} Quatro razors.

Guess Who's Back?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but then there would probably be a lot more pollution as well. I'm not one to trust the industry to police itself, it doesn't have a great trackrecord.

Also, I don't think the longterm solution is in oil to begin with, so increased refining is an expensive short term solution. I think that refiners realize this, or else with refinine margins what they are today, Valero and the like would have at least built a new refinery or 2.
    Then you gets what you gets.

And, I disagree with your second statement. Environmental concerns have choked the incentive out of new refining capacity. They've damn near made it impossible to maintain existing refining capacity.
    In case no one in this thread mentioned it, oil is a major ingredient in PLASTIC.

Raise your hand if you or anyone you know use anything made out of that stuff, or know what it can be used in/for.

It's not just transporation. Many plastic injection molders in the country, for example, folded and sent their jobs overseas, where the cheaper labor made up for the hike in the cost of oil...which drastically increased the cost of manufacturing the plastic resin. I was one of those people.

It's not just a matter of your daily commute.
    Point taken and a good illustration of just how embedded we are in a petroleum-based economy and why it is in our national and security interests to insure a continued supply of oil.

Thread Information