Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who’s Better: Chris Paul or Tony Parker?
    By Dime Magazine

We argue. You decide…

CHRIS PAUL (by Ben York)

On both sides, the argument for who is better cannot be made by simply comparing stats. On the contrary, it goes much deeper than that.

Let me start by saying that you really couldn’t go wrong with either of these players on your team. Even though I’m arguing for Chris Paul, if I had to pick which player I’d rather have in the playoffs, I would have absolutely zero hesitation in picking Tony Parker. He’s proven to be so damn good, and clutch, for the Spurs in the post-season it’s hard to make a fair comparison to Paul who has only been in the playoffs twice.

However, we’re not judging these players based on their play in the post-season, we’re analyzing who is better now.

I could sit here and rattle off some of Paul’s phenomenal stat lines that he consistently puts up, but Austin could do the same thing with Tony Parker. Thus, the real disparity between these two players is that Chris Paul is the Hornets while Tony Parker enhances the Spurs — and there is a big difference between being a team and enhancing a team.

I typically hate this analogy, but I feel it’s pertinent in this comparison: Imagine if you took both Parker and Paul away from the Spurs and Hornets, how much worse would each team be? While the Spurs success doesn’t solely rely on Tony Parker, the success of the Hornets undeniably rests with Chris Paul. If Paul doesn’t get his teammates involved, score 25 a night, or literally will the team to victory, then New Orleans doesn’t have a prayer in the world to win. Paul is quite simply the glue that holds the Hornets together, and if he isn’t on the court, the Hornets are (at best) a mediocre team.

For example, last season Chris Paul averaged about 23 ppg and 11 assists per game. The Hornets, as a team, score about 95 points per game. Consequently, Paul’s 23 points and 11 assists (which lead to between 20-30 points) legitimately account for half of the Hornets production as a team in virtually every game they play. How ridiculous/amazing is that? In addition, the Hornets were without Tyson Chandler, Peja Stojakovic, and David West for a good portion of last season, which only makes Paul’s stat line that much more remarkable.

Tony Parker, on the other hand, adds to the already great Spurs team. Rather, to put it another way, he’s not looked at like Chris Paul is to account for half of the Spurs points on a nightly basis. Parker is a fantastic player, there isn’t any doubt about that, but his role is to facilitate Gregg Popovich’s system — not be the system.

Parker is a fantastic point guard. However, he doesn’t consistently make the players around him better regardless of the situation or who is on the court with him. Chris Paul does, and that’s why he is the better player.

TONY PARKER (by Austin Burton)

As much as I’ve been a blaring advocate for Tony Parker in recent years, I’d always ranked him behind Chris Paul in the “Best Point Guard on the Planet” race. That changed during this year’s playoffs.

On the surface, there wasn’t much difference in CP and TP’s brief postseasons. Both of their teams got knocked out in the first round in series that weren’t really that close. But while Paul was below-average (16.6 ppg, 10.4 apg, 1.6 spg, 41% FG) against Chauncey and the Nuggets, Parker was as dominant as a player could be in a losing effort, dropping 28.6 points, 6.8 assists and 1.2 steals against J-Kidd and the Mavs. And TP wasn’t gunning; he shot 54 percent from the field and matched his regular-season assist numbers despite San Antonio having exactly zero credible scoring threats after Tim Duncan.

When his back was against the wall, Paul sank into a corner. When the Hornets gave up early in the infamous Kobayashi Game, CP gave up with them. On the other hand, Parker responded to bleak cir stances like a predator. Going into the postseason without Manu Ginobili, the Spurs got nothing from Roger Mason, Mike Finley and their other role players. They were literally a two-man team, and yet Parker by himself put a fright into Dallas. He owned a must-win Game Two, scoring 27 of his 38 points in the first half of a Spurs blowout. Then in a Game Four loss, Parker posted 43 points and four steals. Reminiscent of the ’07 Finals, he was San Antonio’s postseason MVP, even ahead of Duncan. Is CP capable of carrying his team like that against adversity when it matters most? Probably. But until he actually does it, “probably” is all he’s got.

Am I overrating what may simply have been a bad stretch for Paul, and a mere hot streak for Parker? Possibly. Or you could say that in those contrasting playoff performances, we got the short-film version of why TP had three championships and a Finals MVP to his name, while CP is still a conference-finals virgin.

Paul gets the nod over Parker defensively, and while TP’s passing is underrated, he is still a notch below CP in that aspect of the game. Their handle is about equal — Paul’s is just more flashy. But Parker is a much better scorer and shooter; his mid-range J is a vital part of the Spurs’ pick-and-roll, and he’s consistently among the League leaders in field-goal percentage despite being a small guard with seemingly no muscle on him.

I’ve covered this before: Parker has simply beaten everyone lined up across from him (including CP3 in their only playoff matchup), and no point guard over the last two decades has matched TP’s combined level of team and individual success. For me, that alone used to be enough to put Parker ahead of almost every PG in the world. After the ’09 playoffs, he’s advanced to the top of the class, vaulting past the NBA’s teacher’s pet in the process.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Parker.

Paul did not adjust to the adjustments made on him this past season. He's going to have to do that, expand his game & ratchet his talent, or, he'll continue to be flustered & taken advantage of.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Right now i would take CP over TP without doubt.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Parker.

Paul did not adjust to the adjustments made on him this past season. He's going to have to do that, expand his game & ratchet his talent, or, he'll continue to be flustered & taken advantage of.

Are you kidding?

Parker has one element to his game... penetration scoring (although he is damn good at that). He still is a very average passer, and can only hit the jumper when no one is within 10 feet of him, and still doesn't play defense. Not to mention he has a great coach and Timmy, while CP3 has a bunch of bags surrounding him that he somehow has actually been able to make look halfway decent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    parker wouldn't have defered to janero pargo in the 4th quarter of a game 7.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Parker.

Its easier when you have the greatest PF of all time on your team.

Both got ousted in 5 games anyway.

If you put Chris Paul on any decent team and they turn elite. CP3 is just nasty

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    parker wouldn't defer to janero pargo in the 4th quarter of a game 7.

I'm sure if Paul had a 20 point scorer at SG who was notorious for being a 4th quarter stud, he would have deferred to him instead of Pargo.

Likewise, I'm sure if Parker was playing with a bunch of scrubs and against a defense he was torching the entire series that decided to start forcing the ball out of his hands, he would have done what every PG is supposed to do and "taken what the defense was giving him", which on this occasion was an open player who was ice cold, but the entire season had been a reliable shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can only hit the jumper when no one is within 10 feet of him

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    If Tony Parker is on the Hornets instead of CP3, they not only don't sniff 50 wins, they'd be dreaming if they expected 40 wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure if Paul had a 20 point scorer at SG who was notorious for being a 4th quarter stud, he would have deferred to him instead of Pargo.

Likewise, I'm sure if Parker was playing with a bunch of scrubs and against a defense he was torching the entire series that decided to start forcing the ball out of his hands, he would have done what every PG is supposed to do and "taken what the defense was giving him", which on this occasion was an open player who was ice cold, but the entire season had been a reliable shooter.
    well yeah sure. but why did you think i was being serious?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    well yeah sure. but why did you think i was being serious?

Great question. I just realized the Ghazi connection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    both are different players....

one has all round game setting up players first b4 his offense...

while parker is a scoring PG....

either one is fine on the spurs....

cp3 better stop with the flopping....

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I just think Parker has a bigger game. Parker at one time was where Paul is at now (struck a pose), Parker moved though, expanded his game, polished his talent, took people with him. Paul hasn't done that. Is he afraid to move, or, incapable of expansion?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sorry but...... CP3 and it's not even close..... put the flopper in the spurs with Tim and Manu ....and he will finally be a winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It all depends what kinda team you have.

If you have a team full of garbage like the Hornets, Paul is the choice.

If you have a decent team, but need some more offensive punch and speed, Parker is the choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I have no problems with Paul being considered better.

*puts on Spurfan glasses*

, just having Parker worthy of even being in the discussion is already a huge boon to the Spurs.

I am the man with no name Hornets1's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    It all depends what kinda team you have.

If you have a team full of garbage like the Hornets, Paul is the choice.

If you have a decent team, but need some more offensive punch and speed, Parker is the choice.
    That makes no ing sense at all! You just said Paul is the choice if you have a crappy team. Paul is the choice either way. How can he be the choice only on a crappy team? Parker does fit the spurs style of play, but put Paul on the Spurs and they become a better team. Parker is a complete badass!He is faster and better at scoring, but is miles behid Paul in terms of being a PG. If Paul was on the spurs, he would average 15 assists a game, and the Spurs would be the team to beat.

The comparison of the playoffs is a ing joke! If Paul played against Kidd in the playoffs, he would have in owned that piece of all series long, just like he always has. Chauncy did outplay paul in the playoffs, easily, but chauncy is a beast, esp in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes no ing sense at all! You just said Paul is the choice if you have a crappy team. Paul is the choice either way. How can he be the choice only on a crappy team? Parker does fit the spurs style of play, but put Paul on the Spurs and they become a better team. Parker is a complete badass!He is faster and better at scoring, but is miles behid Paul in terms of being a PG. If Paul was on the spurs, he would average 15 assists a game, and the Spurs would be the team to beat.

The comparison of the playoffs is a ing joke! If Paul played against Kidd in the playoffs, he would have in owned that piece of all series long, just like he always has. Chauncy did outplay paul in the playoffs, easily, but chauncy is a beast, esp in the playoffs.
    Paul is a better "PG" than Parker but he is also a ballhog and a flopper and when he's out of his game(which is often enought), he takes his whole team with him. Parker doesn't do any of that.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chris Paul easily. TP is a year-in year-out all-star, but CP3 is a legit MVP candidate every year. Paul's the best PG I've seen since Isiah or Stockton.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Put Parker on New Orleans and they wont make the playoffs in the West

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I just think Parker has a bigger game. Parker at one time was where Paul is at now (struck a pose), Parker moved though, expanded his game, polished his talent, took people with him. Paul hasn't done that. Is he afraid to move, or, incapable of expansion?
    Parker is faster and a better scorer, thats it. Paul is better an EVERYTHING ELSE! Shooting, passing, running the pick and roll, court vision, drawing and splitting double teams, drawing fouls, dribbling, controlling and running an offense, playing off the ball, taking over games, steals...............

When was Parker where Paul is now? Not even during his finals MVP campaign did he have production as good as Paul. Paul could/should have been league MVP in 07-08. His game has expanded more than anyone else in the last 4 years.

Chris Paul hasn't expanded his game?? This post is FULL OF !!!! Paul could/should have been league MVP in 07-08. His game has expanded more than anyone else in the last 4 years.

If someone says Parker is better, I can go with that b/c Parker is a Beast. But your reasoning is re ed.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    ^ lol ^

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    we got your point hornet1
    Sorry bout that. I edited that post 3 times, and it kept reposting it, but I deleted the mistake

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Paul is a better "PG" than Parker but he is also a ballhog and a flopper and when he's out of his game(which is often enought), he takes his whole team with him. Parker doesn't do any of that.
    Running an offense is a ballhog?

I still laugh everytime a spurs fan whines about flopping.........

He's rarely off his game, and the whole team falls with him b/c they don't know how to play well w/out paul running the team. Blame the "unsupporting" cast he works with, not Paul.

And please, please, please give a valid knock on Paul and not the ignorant ballhog/flopper/takes his team down bull . Give educated, not arrogant responses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul

Thread Information