Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^just guessing, this would be in one or many of the five states that still have involuntary servitude for convicts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rest in power, Reginald Moore.

Reginald Moore passed away on July 3 at the age of 60 due to heart failure. Although he is best known for the discovery of the Sugar Land 95, Moore’s mission to honor the victims of the convict leasing system began 30 years before that fateful summer. Since partnering with the Woodson Research Center and Rice’s history department in 2015, his wealth of groundbreaking research will be available to scholars for years to come. Armed with a voice and passion both larger than life, Moore began a community’s crusade to demand historical recognition from city officials, and pioneered a new chapter in Texas history.
    https://www.ricethresher.org/article...y-of-endurance

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill by Sen. Tom Cotton targets curriculum on slavery

A New York Times-based school curriculum emphasizing American slavery instead of American independence has been targeted by U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton.

The Little Rock Republican introduced legislation Thursday that would prevent the use of federal tax dollars to spread the historical reinterpretation in the nation’s classrooms.

If the Saving American History Act of 2020 becomes law, however, school districts using the 1619 Project curriculum could face financial consequences.

Cotton’s legislation labels the project “a distortion of American history.”

“The 1619 Project is left-wing propaganda. It’s revisionist history at its worst,” he said in an interview Friday.

If Cotton’s legislation passes, school districts that embrace the curriculum would no longer qualify for federal professional development funds, money that is intended to improve teacher quality.

Cotton said the role of slavery can’t be overlooked.

“We have to study the history of slavery and its role and impact on the development of our country because otherwise we can’t understand our country. As the Founding Fathers said,

it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built,

but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said,

to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction,”
    yes! Lincoln beat the out of traitorous slavers

Instead of portraying America as “an irredeemably corrupt, rotten and racist country,” truth!

the nation should be viewed “as an imperfect and flawed land, but

the greatest and noblest country in the history of mankind,” Cotton said. right-wing mythical propaganda!

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...wsltushpmgnews

Why are Americans so insecure, so ignorant that they MUST ALWAYS believe these ty myths about themselves?

Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-27-2020 at 09:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sen. Cotton wants his high school history back. Apparently it falls to pieces on contact with the work of professional historians.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best take I've seen on this so far:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm generally not a fan of opinion pieces, but I thought this was well written, and interesting. Gonna have to check out that 1619 project.

How Tom Cotton accidentally told an appalling truth

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/opini...ley/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a personal element to this.

Sen. Cotton's family were slaveholders. The US government also gave the Cottons 40 acres of Indian territory that it had promised to the Creek forever by treaty, only to dispossess the Creek again and push them into Oklahoma.

Without slavery and the trail of tears, there probably would be no Senator Cotton.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clear Connection Between Slavery And American Capitalism

The slave economy of the southern states had ripple effects throughout the entire U.S. economy,

more than half of the nation’s exports in the first six decades of the 19th century consisted of raw cotton, almost all of it grown by slaves,

with plenty of merchants in New York City, Boston, and elsewhere helping to organize the trade of slave-grown agricultural commodities—

and enjoying plenty of riches as a result.

“In the decades between the American Revolution and the Civil War, slavery—

as a source of the cotton that fed Rhode Island’s mills,

as a source of the wealth that filled New York’s banks,

as a source of the markets that inspired Massachusetts manufacturers—

proved indispensable to national economic development,”

“… Cotton offered a reason for entrepreneurs and inventors to build manufactories in such places as Lowell, Pawtucket, and Paterson,

thereby connecting New England’s Industrial Revolution to the advancing plantation frontier of the Deep South.

And financing cotton growing, as well as marketing and transporting the crop, was a source of great wealth for the nation’s merchants and banks.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hbsworkingknowledge/2017/05/03/the-clear-connection-between-slavery-and-american-capitalism/#6b22e3a07bd3

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm generally not a fan of opinion pieces, but I thought this was well written, and interesting. Gonna have to check out that 1619 project.

How Tom Cotton accidentally told an appalling truth

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/opini...ley/index.html
    If you ignore the le, which kind of misleads the actual point of the article, this opinion piece is actually really interesting.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...mistake-122248

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best take I've seen on this so far:

where is 1619 censoring that "point"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where is 1619 censoring that "point"?
    Read again, I think you missed a word

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read again, I think you missed a word
    yep, I missed it, thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you ignore the le, which kind of misleads the actual point of the article, this opinion piece is actually really interesting.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...mistake-122248
    Thank you!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steven Miller turned in his final exam.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...nal-Report.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no bibliography. Skimming it quickly I saw zero references to the work of any historian, living or dead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no bibliography. Skimming it quickly I saw zero references to the work of any historian, living or dead.
    Yeah, it’s a terrible read. The notion that progressivism is as much of an evil as fascism or communism is flat out idiotic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the same time, it is important to note that by design there is room in the Cons ution for significant change and reform. Indeed, great reforms—like abolition, women’s suffrage, anti-Communism, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Pro-Life Movement—have often come forward that improve our dedication to the principles of the Declaration of Independence under the Cons ution.

Uh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘Of Course They Released It on MLK Day’:

Trump Admin’s ‘1776 Commission’ Report Roundly Condemned for ‘Historical Amnesia’

released a report on the nation’s history by its 1776 Commission — and

it was quickly condemned by historians and others online for attempting to whitewash the country’s history of slavery and ins utional racism.

The commission was announced by Trump on Cons ution Day four months ago,

in a highly partisan
    proclamation that went to great lengths to attack “cancel culture” and “mobs” tearing down statutes,

saying “the left has warped, distorted, and defiled the American story with deceptions, falsehoods, and lies.”

Trump then singled out the
    New York Times’ Pulitzer-Prize winning essay collection, The 1619 Project, making little pretense that

his commission was to produce a culture war rebuttal to that piece.

came under immediate criticism from historians and others for downplaying the nation’s sordid sin of endorsing slavery in its founding do ent and

for trying to indict the Civil Rights Movement and “iden y politics” as having distorted American principles.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/of-course-they-released-it-on-mlk-day-trump-admins-1776-commission-report-roundly-condemned-for-historical-amnesia/

Repugs, unrepentant RACISTS, always have been for 60 years, at least.

American govt is racist, discriminating against blacks at every opportunity.

That's Who We Are.

But White, Blue-Eyed, Blond God Loves Christian America The Most

Trash releasing (Stephen Himmler Miller's?) 1776 to counter 1619 is " the knitters, and the knitter lovers", the official policy of the Repug party rabidly endorsed by its cult mob.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 01-19-2021 at 07:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about a quarter of Steven Miller's book report was plagiarized. like definitive histories do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ..and now it's scrubbed from the White House website

Thread Information