Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "no one cares"

“The fact that he was tortured by these [CIA] contractors in Poland, that’s not a state secret?” Justice Amy Coney Barrett asked Zubaydah’s lawyer at one point. She used the word “torture” several times in her questioning of both sides.
    https://www.propublica.org/article/a...ts-to-know-why

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one cares, part 2

Justice Neil Gorsuch asked whether the government could avoid confirming any secrets if Zubaydah himself testified about how he was treated. This would sidestep the official confirmation that would arise from allowing the CIA contractors to describe what they had done.

Fletcher repeatedly refused to say whether the Biden administration would permit Zubaydah to give sworn testimony for use in the Polish case, prompting a pointed question from Gorsuch.

“I’d just really appreciate a straight answer to this. Will the government make Pe ioner [Zubaydah] available to testify as to his treatment during these dates [when he was held in Poland]?” Gorsuch asked the government.

Fletcher said he couldn’t answer that.

Gorsuch wasn’t happy. “This case has been litigated for years and all the way up to the United States Supreme Court, and you haven’t considered whether that’s an off-ramp that — that the government could provide that would obviate the need for any of this?”

After a further dodge by the government lawyer, Gorsuch said again, “I personally would like a straight answer to that question.”

Justice Sonia Sotomayor joined, “We want a clear answer, are you going to permit him to testify as to what happened to him those dates without invoking a state secret or other privilege? Yes, no. That’s all we’re looking for.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oddly, these stories about a topic no one cares about keep getting reported on.

Ahmad Rabbani, a Karachi taxi driver, was a case of mistaken iden y. Detained for 17 years without trial or charges and tortured for no reason at a US black site for nearly two years.

Six US agencies have recommended he be released.

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2021/10/gu...fter-17-years/

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/08/14...rump-reprieve/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're on a 10 post streak. Hopefully this will help you appear to not be talking to yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're on a 10 post streak. Hopefully this will help you appear to not be talking to yourself.
    I think of it as a clip file. Helps to follow the story as it continues to develop.

Your continual moaning about it raises questions about your professed level of disinterest, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think of it as a clip file. Helps to follow the story as it continues to develop.

Your continual moaning about it raises questions about your professed level of disinterest, tbh.
    No one is reading it but you. Who do you think you're providing information to?

People like you and Boutons are strange. You regurgitate confirmation bias articles like a bot like you're campaigning

You both rarely engage in any real conversation. I cannot count the number of times you offered up fake news and then been called on it and you just keep dumping articles like it never happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have no idea who's reading what, tbh.

Sorry you can't count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have no idea who's reading what, tbh.

Sorry you can't count.
    He just wants to know if you would date a tranny and if not, why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy with no take in this thread who is only complaining about me, blames me for the lack of conversation and topicality.

Must be lonely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strong pattern of professionally conflicted judges

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Interrogation training"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    High value detainee repatriated to Belize after the end of his prison term.

He was the first prisoner to be freed from Guantánamo Bay who had been held there as a “high-value detainee,” the intelligence community’s term for a former prisoner of a C.I.A. black site who was subjected to the Bush administration’s secret torture program of “enhanced interrogation.”

A damning 2014
    Senate investigation of the covert program disclosed what the C.I.A. did to Mr. Khan when he went on a hunger strike in his second year of detention: His captors “infused” a purée of pasta, sauce, nuts, raisins and hummus into his rectum. His lawyers called it rape.

At his sentencing in 2021, Mr. Khan expressed remorse for his crimes and related his storyto a U.S. military jury at Guantánamo, which followed war court guidelines and sentenced him retroactively to 26 years in prison. Seven of the jurors then urged granting him clemency.

“This abuse was of no practical value in terms of intelligence, or any other tangible benefit to U.S. interests,” they said in a handwritten letter from the jury room. “Instead, it is a stain on the moral fiber of America; the treatment of Mr. Khan in the hands of U.S. personnel should be a source of shame for the U.S. government.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/02/u...nee-freed.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "DeSantis did not respond to requests for comment."

https://harpers.org/archive/2023/03/...-bay-laughing/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Force-Feeding Is Torture

After years of litigation, The Nation and Type Investigations have acquired footage of a force-feeding at a federal prison.

It shows treatment that may amount to torture.

Two straps crisscross his abdomen, pinning his shoulders to the chair.

Each ankle has its own restraint, and another strap is buckled across his thighs.

His handcuffed wrists rest in his lap.

His body is limp.

A week earlier, Salameh was so weak that when guards came to remove him from his cell, he couldn’t walk to the door.

(He got a disciplinary ticket for this “offense.”)

Still, as the force-feeding is about to begin,

three men dressed in black riot gear encircle him.

They grasp Salameh’s head and shoulders as the physician assistant inserts a nasogastric tube into his nostril.

Then the PA puts a carton of nutritional supplement and some sterile water into a feeding bag.

The fluid starts flowing into Salameh’s body.

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...e-prison-video

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isolation imprisonment is also torture, as it damages the brain

but "Americans Don't Torture" -- shrub

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "we tortured some folks"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UN Rapporteur says conditions at Gitmo “may also meet the legal threshold for torture."

The last 30 detainees at Guantánamo Bay, including the men accused of plotting the Sept. 11 attacks, are being held by the United States under cir stances that cons ute “cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment under international law,” a United Nations human rights investigator said on Monday.

Fionnuala Ni Aolain, a law professor in Minnesota serving as special rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights, included the finding in a report drawn from a four-day visit to the prison in February, which included meetings with an undisclosed number of detainees and interviews with lawyers and former prisoners. She issued the report one month before her term as rapporteur ends.

She specifically cited the ulative effects of inadequate health care, solitary confinement, restraints and use of force to remove prisoners from their cells as contributing to her conclusions. She said the conditions at the prison “may also meet the legal threshold for torture.”

Ms. Ni Aolain was the first United Nations investigator to be granted access to the detention center in its two-decade history. She said in an interview that she met with a cross section of the 34 prisoners who were there in February, including former C.I.A. detainees who are facing criminal charges and others who have been approved for transfer to other nations. Today, 30 remain.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/26/u...d-nations.html
    Last edited by Winehole23; 06-27-2023 at 09:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "no one cares"

So, at least for the time being, it is controlling law across the military commissions not only that the government can use torture-obtained evidence in any proceeding save for at trial or sentencing but also that the foundation of a case itself can rest on such evidence.
    https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article...rture-evidence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2021, the CA referred charges against Encep Nurjaman, related primarily to the 2002 Bali bombings and the 2003 JW Marriott hotel attack in Jakarta. The referral was based at least in part on torture-obtained evidence, specifically, an excerpt of the 9/11 Commission Report drawn from interrogations during which Nurjaman and others were tortured. That fact is not in dispute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the meantime, the D.C. Circuit is mulling over the same issue in yet another, long-troubled case: Bahlul v. United States. Ali Hamza Al Bahlul, the only Guantanamo detainee convicted after trial by military commission, is serving a life sentence (at least presently) at Guantanamo. Between 2014 and 2015, the D.C. Circuit vacated all but one of his convictions. Last May, the CMCR affirmed his life sentence nonetheless. Bahlul has objected that, in doing so, the CMCR violated 948r(a) because it relied on evidence obtained from his torture and cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment. The government, notably, never disputed or defended the use of such evidence, instead asking the D.C. Circuit to duck the issue on procedural grounds. Al Bahlul’s lawyers, though, have now filed the CMCR’s Nurjaman decision with the D.C. Circuit to demonstrate the need for the court to resolve the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Military commissions don't work, but even to the extent they do, they have been undermined by torture and lnhumane detention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Military commissions don't work, but even to the extent they do, they have been undermined by torture and lnhumane detention.

If you know for certain that someone has information you can torture it out of them. To that extent I can understand it's targeted use.

What we did was largely for punitive and fishing purposes. It's disgusting as is how the national security ins utions like the CIA and NSA can act with impunity.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If you know for certain that someone has information you can torture it out of them. To that extent I can understand it's targeted use.

What we did was largely for punitive and fishing purposes. It's disgusting as is how the national security ins utions like the CIA and NSA can act with impunity.
    Here is a result of the aforementioned CIA impunity...

The U.S.A. ain't got diddly squat on Russia, Lumpster.

Thread Information