Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (CNN) – South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham has always enjoyed a little back-and-forth with belligerent audiences.

He was at it again on Monday night as he faced down an angry town hall crowd in Greenville packed with libertarians and Tea Party activists who accused at the Republican senator of ditching conservative principles by working with Democrats on issues like climate change and voting to send Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court.

But Graham stressed a mantra he's repeated many times since his friend John McCain lost the presidential election last November — that the GOP must reach out to different cons uencies, or face extinction.

"I'm not going to leave the Republican Party," Graham said when one questioned asked him why he hasn't yet joined the Democrats. "I'm going to grow it. We're not going to be the party of angry white guys."

His comments were met with a salvo of boos and shouts of "Ron Paul!"

"I love this party," he responded. "I'm not going to be let it be hijacked by Ron Paul."

Graham emphasized his conservative bona fides — particularly his record of opposing abortion rights and support of gun rights — but said GOP needs to build a broader coalition. Otherwise, he warned, those trying to purify the party will turn Congress over "to the most liberal people in the world because somebody disagrees with you."

"I'm going to find people in Maine, Delaware, Illinois and other places that can win," he said. "And I'm going to help them, and we're going to move this party and this country forward. If you don't like it, you can leave."
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ry-white-guys/

Lindsey Graham is a seriously serious guy

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, instead they're going to stay the party of angry religious nuts funded by the gun companies, led by race-baiting talk show hosts who've never had a real job, and will continue to be too inept to take any kind of political advantage of the inept handling of virtually everything since Obama was elected, wasting what small mount of political capital they have on re-writing textbooks and blocking any kind of gun-related legislation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ron Paul is the best thing that party had going for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    led by race-baiting talk show hosts who've never had a real job,

Don't forget that they all pocket millions, hundreds of millions every year, yet they always claim to be 'for the people'...the GOP populist movement......they're for the people alright...the people who sign their paychecks..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ron Paul is the best thing that party had going for it.
    Paul just says the right things, but I've never seen him refuse a earmark...

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    some people still think lindsay graham is a woman

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget that they all pocket millions, hundreds of millions every year, yet they always claim to be 'for the people'...the GOP populist movement......they're for the people alright...the people who sign their paychecks..
    Um, you just described the democrats for about the last fifty years, but you inserted GOP in there. Fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's nothing wrong with earmarks, it's pretty much the job of congressmen to lobby for what's best for their cons uents. He was, however, just about the only republican to take a reasonable stance against the Iraq war and has mostly respectable opinions even if some of them are kind of "out there"... or at least they seem genuine and not "purchased" by private lobbyist.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Graham emphasized his conservative bona fides — particularly his record of opposing abortion rights and support of gun rights — but said GOP needs to build a broader coalition.
    Summary: My credentials are in order on the most important wedge issues, but fiscally I am about as conservative as Freddy Mercury minus the AIDS.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Remove GOP and insert DNC and this statement still holds true.

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF? Ron Paul had absolutley nothing to do with the tea parties.

more like Armey, Grassley, Bauchman, Palin and all those conservative talk show hacks.

Ron Paul is easier to pick on than those other guys who are the real assholes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP is already captured by angry, white males, both wealthy and poor, and by militant, murderous "Christian" supremacists and theocrats.

From Graham's own very enlightened, civil, open-minded South KKKarolina, a typical example:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...irst_lady.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lindsey Lohan is a republican?

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the GOP does succeed in getting rid of all non-card carrying conservatives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Summary: My credentials are in order on the most important wedge issues, but fiscally I am about as conservative as Freddy Mercury minus the AIDS.
    This.

Veteran
    My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    That being the case- I've really enjoyed Graham's theatrics as of late. I understand what he really is, but between his sparring with angry crowds and the humorous candor he brought to the Sotomayor hearings, I'm finding it hard not to embrace his role as a provocateur.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , led by race-baiting talk show hosts who've never had a real job,
    Outside of being a talk show host isn't that one of the main complaints republicans have with President Obama?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ron paul is not their kind of anygry white guy. rush is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lindsey Lohan is a republican?
    I don't think for long

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ron Paul isn't the angry white guy republicans need to be worrying about not becoming.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember seeing an interview with him once where he said that he fights to ensure that every dollar taxed away from his cons uents by the federal government gets returned to their community. As far as I know he's never said he's opposed to earmarks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even care about politics anymore.

A bunch of morons have too much of a voice in this stupid ass country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earmarks are good, becasue they take power from unelected bureacrats, and give it to the representatives of the People.

Earmarks also increase transparancy in government.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of being a talk show host isn't that one of the main complaints republicans have with President Obama?
    That should be the problem most voters have with most politicians. The difference is that one of them can't even buy a football team and the other one is the leader of the free world, and they have about the same qualifications.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Sold his soul to an Orange devil. SMH

Thread Information