Spurs, Colts, Cowboys, and Irish SpursFanFirst's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the le already.

NFL Truths: LeBron needs to focus on NBA
    by Jason Whitlock

10. Like most young people, and like all young people with money, LeBron James doesn't think the axiom "two ears and one mouth" applies to him.

Everyone, but especially everyone under the age of 40, needs to do twice as much listening as talking. Our creator did not make a mistake giving us two eyes, two nostrils, two hands, two ears and one mouth.

You get farther in life observing than you do offering observations.

In the past 10 days, King James has stated that he wants to retire Michael Jordan's number and perhaps try his hand at NFL tight end.

I mean this respectfully: Shut the up, LeBron.

Jordan won three les before he gambled on (pun intended) a baseball career. Yes, Deion Sanders dabbled in baseball when he wasn't playing his other non-contact sport, football cover corner.

But football can break a man. It destroyed Bo Jackson's hip, ruining what could've been one of the all-time great baseball careers.

I suspect LeBron knows this and was just running his mouth when he suggested he'd like to give the NFL a try. In his excitement to talk about anything other than the Browns' failure, Cleveland coach Eric Mangini quickly announced he'd welcome LeBron running seam routes for the Browns.

It's too bad Cavaliers coach Mike Brown doesn't have the necessary authority to tell James to spend his free time fantasizing about developing a consistent low-post game rather than feeding the media quotes about silly NFL dreams and Jordan's jersey number.

He's an incomplete, le-less basketball player who wants to possibly experiment with football. He's immature and shallow.

His argument that Jordan's number should be retired across the NBA solely because Jordan is the game's greatest player is a peek at how little depth James has.

Major League Baseball didn't retire Babe Ruth's or Willie Mays' or Hank Aaron's numbers. MLB retired Jackie Robinson's number out of respect for his overall impact on the game and society. Robinson is not the greatest baseball player of all time. He is arguably the most important baseball player of all time.

Jordan is the best basketball player. I'll give him that. And I won't deny his amazing impact on the game. But Jordan's impact hasn't been totally positive.

During his Hall of Fame induction speech -- an address I still defend -- Jordan accidentally explained his basketball legacy when he said you can't spell win without the letter "I."

That's Jordan's legacy. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird redefined "team basketball." They took the court trying to orchestrate the perfect game. Michael Jordan took the court trying to be the perfect player.

It amazes me how few people notice that since the end of the Magic-Bird era there hasn't been one player we can say reminds us of Bird and Johnson. Not one.

Every three or four years there's a new Michael Jordan. Kobe Bryant has perfected a Jordan imitation. Dwyane Wade does a fine impersonation, too.

You can say that everyone wants to be like Mike. But maybe Johnson and Bird are more difficult to duplicate, maybe they're the true twice-in-a-lifetime players. A million boxers have tried to be the next Muhammad Ali, but none has come close.

How come everyone from Allen Iverson to Carmelo Anthony to Kevin Durant can do five minutes of Michael Jordan?

And here we are 40 years after he retired and Dwight Howard is the first NBA player to give us a glimpse of a Bill Russell impersonation. (OK, Hakeem Olajuwon could do Russell from time to time. But that's two players in 40 years.)

Wow. I know I went a lot of different directions with this Truth. But I had to get that off my chest.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Yeah it's tough to do a Bill Russell impersonation without 90% of the league being 6-5 white guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironic coming from Jason Whitlock...

What? no mention of race?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    LeBron should have been smart enought to stay away from 23. Where I went to high school, wearing number 23 was putting a huge target on yourself. Basically shouting out "I got so big of an ego i wear Jordan's number!!!"

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    LBJ needs to learn to be humble. He did nothing but pout last night, then hold his wrist after his tantrum dunk at the end. Of course some dumbass announcer said 'That dunk should tie the game!' Who the was that? LEbron knob schlobber...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LBJ needs to learn to be humble. He did nothing but pout last night, then hold his wrist after his tantrum dunk at the end. Of course some dumbass announcer said 'That dunk should tie the game!' Who the was that? LEbron knob schlobber...
    you feature four pictures of the same man...

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    you feature four pictures of the same man...
    I'm waiting for Nash to win his 3rd MVP to bump it up to 5.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Smartest black journalist in American sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth bombs that are still relevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD
    It's not that, it's Black man takes the contrarian side on Black issues in sports to appeal to white conservatives. Whitlock made a whole career out of it, can't hate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not that, it's Black man takes the contrarian side on Black issues in sports to appeal to white conservatives. Whitlock made a whole career out of it, can't hate
    Fair enough

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Whitlock isn't trolling. Nor seeking to appeal to just "white conservatives". His viewpoint is shared and supported by the majority of the USA.

I will also add Whitlock clearly has superior mental capacity than 99.9% of athletes and more values

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dwight the closest to russell

It was stupid back then and it’s more stupid now.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whitlock always brings the goods.

I would love to see LBJ take a shot at being an NFL tight end; but if he's not going to do it, I agree that he should QFT about it.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He’s the Chris Rock of sports commentary

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    You got that right, Whitlock, like a lot of black Americans realize they need to kiss white ass and trash blacks because they are dependent on whites to earn their living. Whitlock, like a lot of blacks in the media have that slave mentality, if a black person is dependent on whites to earn their living you should take what they say with a grain of salt.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Last edited by FrostKing; 01-27-2020 at 05:04 AM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Sidenote - Whitlock did a segment on Friday: which player is better role model Kobe or LeBron. Great timing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FrostKing, I'm sorry to break your heart, but Whitlock once wrote an article that might make you cry. It's your worst nightmare, something you probably think about at least once a month and explains your shtick

Read with caution.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...p-12810-012810

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    FrostKing, I'm sorry to break your heart, but Whitlock once wrote an article that might make you cry. It's your worst nightmare, something you probably think about at least once a month and explains your shtick

Read with caution.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...p-12810-012810
    I am aware. If I remember correctly Whitlock was in Kaepernick's corner as well as Trayvon Martin etc. That is why I am puzzled by these Uncle Tom accusations

Thread Information