Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    Dying man robbed in Philadelphia ER waiting room
    By Maryclaire Dale

A school counselor suffering an apparent heart attack died in a Philadelphia emergency room after waiting nearly 80 minutes for help — and a trio of homeless drug addicts nearby stole his watch instead of seeking aid, police said.

Joaquin Rivera, 63, died before seeing a triage nurse at Atria Health's Frankford Campus over the weekend, police said.

Rivera, a musician and activist in the city's Latino community, had spent more than 30 years working as a bilingual counselor at an inner-city high school.

"We're all destroyed. A guy like that, for him to leave us the way that he did — and with what happened to him — everybody's destroyed," said Jesse Bermudez, a friend and fellow musician.

Rivera's cruel end was captured on security videotape, much like the June 2008 death of Esmin Green, who died on a hospital floor as staffers at Kings County Hospital Center in Brooklyn ignored her. Green's family recently settled a lawsuit against the city for $2 million.

Rivera had walked to the Northeast Philadelphia hospital late Saturday from his home a few blocks away after pain started shooting down his right side. He registered at 10:45 p.m. and took a seat, chatting for about 20 minutes with two men and a woman nearby.

Based on witness accounts, police believe Rivera passed out about an hour later. Security video then shows one of the men steal his watch and briefly pass it to the other.

"There's no resistance from Mr. Rivera at all, which is why we believe he's probably dead. There's no stirring from him," said Capt. Jack McGinnis, a city detective.

The second suspect is then seen by doctors, and a security guard arrives to ask his sleeping companions to leave. A witness first reports that Rivera may be dead.

At 12:04 a.m., he is pronounced dead.

"You would hope he would have died with dignity," McGinnis said.

Aria Health offered condolences to the family Tuesday but otherwise declined comment, citing patient confidentiality and the pending criminal case.

McGinnis describes the three suspects as homeless drug addicts. Police arrested one of them, 44-year-old Richard Alten, at the hospital and are searching for the others.

Detectives have seen the video footage, but Aria Health had not yet produced a copy for them, McGinnis said. Police hope to publicize it to find the missing pair.

Drug addicts, he said, will steal from family — or the dead.

"It seems de able, but they would do it," McGinnis said. "(The death) seemed like a perfect opportunity."

Alten remains in custody, and the public defender's office representing him declined comment.

A preliminary ruling suggests Rivera died of hypertension. He is survived by his wife and three children.

Rivera also leaves behind a rich musical legacy that includes local radio and TV appearances in which he shared the music he learned as a boy in the mountains of Cayey, Puerto Rico. He also inspired countless Olney High School students to attend college, Bermudez said.

Bermudez last saw his friend Saturday afternoon, when they played together at Centro Musical, a neighborhood music store that serves as a gathering place for Latino musicians.

"Without him, the traditional folk music of Puerto Rico wouldn't be alive here in Philadelphia," Bermudez said.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    did they take his shoes?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    funny, the le of the article says a dying man was robbed but the article says he was dead when he was robbed. hmmmm, strange how the author would do that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    waiting 80 minutes, huh? i do love the current healthcare we have in this country.

Double facepalm...
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Would have seen a doctor in 29 minutes or less if he had gone to the DM...

Sorry, have those blasted commercials in my head from the local radio...

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    waiting 80 minutes, huh? i do love the current healthcare we have in this country.
    Well it beats the month long, so far, wait a friend is doing in Canada just to have someone take a look at his arm and the terrible pain he's experiencing.

So yeah. It's pretty good. Not great but better than Canada wouldn't you say?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, I have to wonder if he said anything about possibly suffering from heart attack symptoms when he came in.

Once a couple of years back, I took my wife to the ER because she thought she might be having a heart attack, and by the time I told them what was wrong, gave them my name and address, they had already grabbed a wheelchair, put her in it, and immediately rolled her back to be seen by a team of doctors. Immediate attention.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Would have seen a doctor in 29 minutes or less if he had gone to the DM...

Sorry, have those blasted commercials in my head from the local radio...
    Who is the #1 rated hospital in the country?

It wasnt John Hopkins, it was the Detroit Medi....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Whats the difference if he gets robbed before or after he sees the doctor?

Even if he would have made it in and got a room he still would have lost his watch to the pawn shop trying to pay for the 13 dollar Tylenol capsules.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Well it beats the month long, so far, wait a friend is doing in Canada just to have someone take a look at his arm and the terrible pain he's experiencing.

So yeah. It's pretty good. Not great but better than Canada wouldn't you say?

tell your living friend to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i was going to post this yesterday....

you guys remember the lady that died in the waiting room where no one attended her? her family ended up with $2m out of court settlement with the hospital/council watever....die rich or die tryin

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    New Mexico Lobos
    The crime is that this guy was waiting 80 minutes in the ER while having a heart attack.

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    tell your living friend to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.
    man, i think your idea is better than the crap that's trying to pass in DC. your a star, flapjack.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    This is why people need to wear their masks and socially distance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol derp with the 10 year stalker bump. you really need to get a in life dude

Thread Information