Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No - just any progressive initiative you're against.
    Free healthcare, foodstamps, redistribution of wealth and free education is not in the Cons ution. Protecting the citizens is.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Consistent with what?
    The words "pro" and "life."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The words "pro" and "life."
    Then explain how an unborn child gets to choose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...all politicians are the same right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't.

It can't.

I don't like calling pro-abortion pro-choice either.

They and the so-called pro-life folks are pretty much all pro-death one way or another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd ask you to explain how a death row inmate gets to choose too, but it would be just as irrelevant.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so i'm curious, how do soldiers fit in on the "pro-life" spectrum?

i mean i've always been amazed as how the average "pro-lifer" i meet is also rabidly for the death penalty, but what about those who kill in a warzone are they still a murderer?
    Once again, there is a distinct difference between an unborn child and a soldier engaged in battle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd ask you to explain how a death row inmate gets to choose too, but it would be just as irrelevant.
    He chooses when he commits a capital crime knowing the possible consequences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the Texas Penal Code:
    Sec. 1.02. Objectives of Code.
    The general purposes of this code are to establish a system of prohibitions, penalties, and
    correctional measures to deal with conduct that unjustifiably and inexcusably causes or threatens
    harm to those individual or public interests for which state protection is appropriate.
    To this end,
    the provisions of this code are intended, and shall be construed, to achieve the following
    objectives:
    (1) to insure the public safety through:
    (A) the deterrent influence of the penalties hereinafter provided;
    (B) the rehabilitation of those convicted of violations of this code; and
    (C) such punishment as may be necessary to prevent likely recurrence of criminal
    behavior;
    (2) by definition and grading of offenses to give fair warning of what is prohibited and of
    the consequences of violation;
    (3) to prescribe penalties that are proportionate to the seriousness of offenses and that
    permit recognition of differences in rehabilitation possibilities among individual
    offenders;
    (4) to safeguard conduct that is without guilt from condemnation as criminal;
    (5) to guide and limit the exercise of official discretion in law enforcement to prevent
    arbitrary or oppressive treatment of persons suspected, accused, or convicted of offenses;
    and
    (6) to define the scope of state interest in law enforcement against specific offenses and
    to systematize the exercise of state criminal jurisdiction.
    Sec. 19.02. Murder.
    (a) In this section:
    (1) "Adequate cause" means cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, age,
    resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind
    incapable of cool reflection.
    (2) "Sudden passion" means passion directly caused by and arising out of provocation by
    the individual killed or another acting with the person killed which passion arises at the
    time of the offense and is not solely the result of former provocation.
    (b) A person commits an offense if he:
    (1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human
    life that causes the death of an individual; or
    (3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of
    and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commis-
    sion or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life
    that causes the death of an individual.
    (c) Except as provided by Subsection (d), an offense under this section is a felony of the first
    degree.
    (d) At the punishment stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he caused
    the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. If
    the defendant proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence, the offense
    is a felony of the second degree
    Sec. 19.03. Capital Murder.
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person commits murder as defined under Section
    19.02(b)(1) and:

(1) the person murders a peace officer or fireman who is acting in the lawful discharge of
    an official duty and who the person knows is a peace officer or fireman;
    (2) the person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or
    attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson,
    obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3), (4), (5), or
    (6);
    (3) the person commits the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration or
    employs another to commit the murder for remuneration or the promise of remuneration;
    (4) the person commits the murder while escaping or attempting to escape from a penal
    ins ution;
    (5) the person, while incarcerated in a penal ins ution, murders another:
    (A) who is employed in the operation of the penal ins ution; or
    (B) with the intent to establish, maintain, or participate in a combination or in the
    profits of a combination;
    (6) the person:
    (A) while incarcerated for an offense under this section or Section 19.02, murders
    another; or
    (B) while serving a sentence of life imprisonment or a term of 99 years for an
    offense under Section 20.04, 22.021, or 29.03, murders another;
    (7) the person murders more than one person:
    (A) during the same criminal transaction; or
    (B) during different criminal transactions but the murders are committed pursuant
    to the same scheme or course of conduct;
    (8) the person murders an individual under six years of age; or
    (9) the person murders another person in retaliation for or on account of the service or
    status of the other person as a judge or justice of the supreme court, the court of criminal
    appeals, a court of appeals, a district court, a criminal district court, a cons utional
    county court, a statutory county court, a justice court, or a municipal court.

(b) An offense under this section is a capital felony.
    (c) If the jury or, when authorized by law, the judge does not find beyond a reasonable doubt that
    the defendant is guilty of an offense under this section, he may be convicted of murder or of
    any other lesser included offense.
    Sec. 6.03. Definitions of Culpable Mental States.(a) A person acts intentionally, or with intent, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to a
    result of his conduct when it is his conscious objective or desire to engage in the conduct or
    cause the result.
    (b) A person acts knowingly, or with knowledge, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to
    cir stances surrounding his conduct when he is aware of the nature of his conduct or that the
    cir stances exist. A person acts knowingly, or with knowledge, with respect to a result of his
    conduct when he is aware that his conduct is reasonably certain to cause the result.
    Sec. 12.31. Capital Felony.
    (a) An individual adjudged guilty of a capital felony in a case in which the state seeks the death
    penalty shall be punished by imprisonment in the ins utional division for life without parole or
    by death. An individual adjudged guilty of a capital felony in a case in which the state does not
    seek the death penalty shall be punished by imprisonment in the ins utional division for life
    without parole.
    (b) In a capital felony trial in which the state seeks the death penalty, prospective jurors shall be
    informed that a sentence of life imprisonment without parole or death is mandatory on conviction
    of a capital felony. In a capital felony trial in which the state does not seek the death penalty,
    prospective jurors shall be informed that the state is not seeking the death penalty and that a
    sentence of life imprisonment without parole is mandatory on conviction of the capital felony.
    http://www.texaspolicecentral.com/penal_code.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People on death row get a trial. Then, if found guilty, automatically get another trial. In reality it is about 4-5 trials lasting a little over 10 years. The law was made before they committed the crime. These people aren't innocent.
    Some of them are, and we know that for a fact.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capital punishment's time is limited. Soon it will be one of those things our children and grandchildren look back on in wonderment of how enough people in a society could be so backward as to let the practice continue... Like slavery, segregation, and anti-gay-marriage legislation.

You guys are on the wrong side of history. Sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capital punishment's time is limited. Soon it will be one of those things our children and grandchildren look back on in wonderment of how enough people in a society could be so backward as to let the practice continue... Like slavery, segregation, and anti-gay-marriage legislation.

You guys are on the wrong side of history. Sorry.
    You left abortion off your list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He chooses when he commits a capital crime knowing the possible consequences.
    meh. indirectly.

unless he looks at a map of states with or without the death penalty beforehand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Irrelevant. That's why I didn't ask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you 100% against all kinds of abortion?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you 100% against all kinds of abortion?
    We've discussed this a bazillion times in this forum.

I have a great deal of compassion for women who choose abortion because of rape, incest, or the fear a pregnancy may cost them their lives and I truly don't know how I would respond if someone I loved found themselves in that situation.

Having said that, I'm 100% opposed to the 99.9% of abortions that do not fall into one of those categories.

If we can't reach agreement on those millions of abortions annually, why interrogate me over the less than 1% that are performed under duress?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abortion will eventually be reduced to rare occurrences as a result of improved birth control and sex education (whose opponents are also on the wrong side of history) as well as scientific advances in completing the development of fetuses outside the womb.

Unfortunate that abortion's opponents continue to fight against the very advances that will eventually bring it to a stop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abortion will eventually be reduced to rare occurrences as a result of improved birth control and sex education (whose opponents are also on the wrong side of history) as well as scientific advances in completing the development of fetuses outside the womb.

Unfortunate that abortion's opponents continue to fight against the very advances that will eventually bring it to a stop.
    So, you condone the killing because people don't have the technological advances necessary to offset their inability to keep their pants on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've discussed this a bazillion times in this forum.

I have a great deal of compassion for women who choose abortion because of rape, incest, or the fear a pregnancy may cost them their lives and I truly don't know how I would respond if someone I loved found themselves in that situation.

Having said that, I'm 100% opposed to the 99.9% of abortions that do not fall into one of those categories.

If we can't reach agreement on those millions of abortions annually, why interrogate me over the less than 1% that are performed under duress?
    because you are one of the ones bringing up abortion in this thread and I dont recall your stance.

If you think there are cir stances that might require abortion even .01% of the time, then why do you think abortion will be history one day?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because you are one of the ones bringing up abortion in this thread and I dont recall your stance.

If you think there are cir stances that might require abortion even .01% of the time, then why do you think abortion will be history one day?
    I never said it would be "required" in any cir stances just that I have compassion for those that choose it in some cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because this thread isn't about abortion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, you condone the killing because people don't have the technological advances necessary to offset their inability to keep their pants on?
    It's an unfortunate but temporary necessity until we figure out an alternative to pregnancy. Or agree on how to educate on birth control methods. I'm betting the former comes sooner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an unfortunate but temporary necessity until we figure out an alternative to pregnancy.
    Pregnancy isn't a disease. And, abortion is taking the life of a human being. It shouldn't be an alternative to anything.

The alternative to pregnancy is not engaging in activities that will result in pregnancy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should make a sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should make a sign.
    Or an amendment.

Thread Information