Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enron was a criminal case.
    Libel, while there's a criminal figure for it on certain states, is rarely prosecuted because it directly clashes with first amendment rights.

Lying on an ad is mostly a civil case, period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone here honestly believe that corporate/union money wasn't already involved in politics? There isn't going to be some massive influx of corporate/union money into politics because that money was already there and would have continued to be there regardless of how the court ruled. In that sense, today's ruling isn't anything other than symbolic.
    Absolutely. This is more about avoiding having to go trough workarounds than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are trade unions made up of ordinary US citizens?
    Well? Are they or aren't they, SouthernFried?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For profit corps are organized for business.
    Labor unions are organized for workers.
    I don't see a need for either to be engaged in political advocacy.

Allow political advocacy groups with only contributions from individual citizens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that commie Rehnquist had something to say on this subject once upon a time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice to see the argument settle on the meaning of US citizenship, instead of abstract individualism for a change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No surprise that we have a government responsive to "stakeholders" (ie big bidness & big labor) instead of individuals.

Of course, that's the theory these days. Your self-worth is determined by group membership and not your own intrinsic individuality.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "your chartered to do business...not politics"

lol

"People chartered to do biz, are supposed to be disallowed from being involved in politics?"

I blame public education on this. Business is almost off limits to the public education system...promoting ignorance, breeding distrust, resulting in hatred.

Ignorance is the enemy, and our "education" system wallows in it. The results are endemic throughout the country.

From "elections are special and need free speech curtailed during them" to "Corporations are synthetic people," to "business chartered to do business, are not charted to be involved in politics" to the totally obscure "are trade unions US citizens? Are they, huh...huh...huh?"

lol

It's gotta be 5 o'clock somewhere...

sig

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "They are composed of ordinary US citizens" was your argument for the Cons utional rights of corporations, dummy.

BTW, I notice you just dodged my direct question at the top of the page. Others will notice, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing obscure about it, SouthernFried. I guess calling it that consoles you for your pitiful obfuscation and dodging.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'You're a dummy because you disagree with me.' Compelling argument.

Further, since SF obviously went to the special school, in which part of the Cons ution are rights explicitly given to business organizations?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...(misconstrued)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "They are composed of ordinary US citizens" was your argument for the Cons utional rights of corporations, dummy.
    Further evidence of his exceptional education.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame American public education for people gullible enough to swallow that a Fortune 500 company should enjoy cons utional protections originally intended for private citizens.

"We'll do it this time" Bartleby's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does this ruling also make it easier for foreign corporations to make political donations?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @MB: Ironic, since SF blames "public education" for you and me believing any different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A wager on which century he would place the SCOTUS recognition of a corporation as a person under the Cons ution? Not to mention if he could figure out which amendment was involved?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

BTW, I notice you just dodged my direct question at the top of the page. Others will notice, too.
    lol...we having fun yet?

Actually, you brought the "US citizen" into this discussion. I was using "ordinary people" until that point. I'm sure you had some diabolical reason for trying to switch it...mebbe because some Non-US-citizens can create a corporation? I dunno, paranoid mebbe...but, don't care really. Fit in US citizen all u want.

What is your question? Something about Trade union people being normal US citizens?? If they are US trade unions, and are normal US citizens...I would think they would be...uh, normal US citizens.

Is that somehow connected to Corporations being made of people as well?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. It has to do with your abject apology for the big business/ big labor stranglehold on electoral politics, and the recent SC decision so amenable to both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @MB: Ironic, since SF blames "public education" for you and me believing any different.
    Especially when you consider the purpose of that system.

Standard knee-jerk Dittohead responses:

Pro-Bidness no matter what. Any deviation from the worship of American bidness is a sign of latent communism. The Founding Fathers had no such skepticism about the power business interests could attain and its potential impact upon the Republic, specifically, the rights and liberties of individual citizens.

Criticize the government reflexively. Blame the first government en y which comes to mind, excepting the military, of course. Oh, and the police.

Then gulp your Bud, head to the bathroom, and jack off.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame American public education for people gullible enough to swallow that a Fortune 500 company should enjoy cons utional protections originally intended for private citizens.
    lol

The people behind and in the fortune 500 company probably should enjoy the same cons utional protections as...uh...y'know..."private citizens."

We have agreed that corporations don't exist without people right? And that every corporation has...uh...people. That people create and run corporations...and every corporation has to have people listed on the corporate charter? And that a corporation is not just some creation of a ...er, non-person? And that those people have just as much right to do what, people do...as much as, well..."normal" people not involved in a "corporation" do?

We do have this much straight, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WOuldn't duh guvmint be better if bidness ran it? Tink about it, man!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially when you consider the purpose of that system.

Standard knee-jerk Dittohead responses:

Pro-Bidness no matter what. Any deviation from the worship of American bidness is a sign of latent communism. The Founding Fathers had no such skepticism about the power business interests could attain and its potential impact upon the Republic, specifically, the rights and liberties of individual citizens.

Criticize the government reflexively. Blame the first government en y which comes to mind, excepting the military, of course. Oh, and the police.

Then gulp your Bud, head to the bathroom, and jack off.
    I drink MGD. lol

And if you look, real hard...the founders biggest skepticism...was about the increase power of govt. Specifically, the rights and liberties of individual citizens...

....even those citizens involved in "Corporations."

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The people behind and in the trade unions probably should enjoy the same cons utional protections as...uh...y'know..."private citizens."

We have agreed that trade unions don't exist without people right? And that every trade union has...uh...people. That people create and run trade unions ...and every trade union has to have people listed on the union charter? And that a trade union is not just some creation of a ...er, non-person? And that those people have just as much right to do what, people do...as much as, well..."normal" people not involved in a "trade union " do?

We do have this much straight, right?
    Fify.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WOuldn't duh guvmint be better if bidness ran it? Tink about it, man!
    Dude!!!

I been saying that for years! Take the CEO's of the most "successful" business and corporations, put them in charge of the mess in DC.

...and we talking balanced budgets, cutting waste, decreased beaurocracies.

"successful" US business is the key here.

GM CEO's not allowed.

Great Idea man!! Great minds and all that....

Thread Information