Page 111 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3198
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Luka and Tre are done with the G league bubble?

Or will they go back?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it not announced which players have tested positive? What is the big secret? Other teams have had no problem saying when a player has tested positive and is out.

When are the Spurs projected to play their next game?
    It's straight-up illegal for a team to disclose that kind of information. Of course, it can get leaked, or you can see from cir stantial evidence like by those players being ruled out or whatever. But for a team to come straight out and say their player has it as the main authority would be a HIPPA violation. Remember, that Eubanks, Hammond and maybe even KBD likely had COVID earlier this year, but they were never described that way. I would expect the positive Spurs to not ever be named by the team, though we will likely know soon enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Renfro's passing skill is underrated. The dude just finds people.
    He was 3rd in assists/game on the Spurs before this game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that Delaware team is staked Tucker killed us inside all night and Reed was a man among boys grabbing every rebound.

Is Mathis the new Bryan Forbes?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's straight-up illegal for a team to disclose that kind of information. Of course, it can get leaked, or you can see from cir stantial evidence like by those players being ruled out or whatever. But for a team to come straight out and say their player has it as the main authority would be a HIPPA violation. Remember, that Eubanks, Hammond and maybe even KBD likely had COVID earlier this year, but they were never described that way. I would expect the positive Spurs to not ever be named by the team, though we will likely know soon enough.
    I didn't know any of that. Thanks for explaining. Is that a US thing? I mean, I just saw when players like KAT were out due to Covid, I assumed the team announced that. I guess you can deduce it yourself when you see who isn't playing next game. I didn't realize you were not allowed to announce it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't know any of that. Thanks for explaining. Is that a US thing? I mean, I just saw when players like KAT were out due to Covid, I assumed the team announced that. I guess you can deduce it yourself when you see who isn't playing next game. I didn't realize you were not allowed to announce it.
    That was all leaked. It’ll show up on Twitter feeds like Woj.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So for those who might be wondering why SA doesn't sign Renfro to a deal right now, a possible explanation could be that the date to start signing 10-day contracts is 02/23, or Tuesday. If they sign a guy right now, that player would get his contract guaranteed before he even gets to play. If tomorrow's game is cancelled (which I believe it is), the Spurs should be able to sign a guy to bolster their short-manned roster in time for their next outing. Depending on who's out, it could well be that Renfro is that guy. But it could be that the missing players are concentrated in SA's front court, and if that's the case, they'll need to sign depth there for at least that first stretch. I hope SA doesn't lose out on a legit prospect (Ren or whomever) because they didn't want to use their last spot earlier. But I also think you can easily make an argument for the added flexibility in terms of being able to make a trade or even sign a buyout candidate (because sometimes guys get bought out who aren't old ring-chasing vets like with Corey Brewer forever ago).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm watching the replay and they announced Quindarry on the starting PG. I was surprised, but I don't see him.. so

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So for those who might be wondering why SA doesn't sign Renfro to a deal right now, a possible explanation could be that the date to start signing 10-day contracts is 02/23, or Tuesday. If they sign a guy right now, that player would get his contract guaranteed before he even gets to play. If tomorrow's game is cancelled (which I believe it is), the Spurs should be able to sign a guy to bolster their short-manned roster in time for their next outing. Depending on who's out, it could well be that Renfro is that guy. But it could be that the missing players are concentrated in SA's front court, and if that's the case, they'll need to sign depth there for at least that first stretch. I hope SA doesn't lose out on a legit prospect (Ren or whomever) because they didn't want to use their last spot earlier. But I also think you can easily make an argument for the added flexibility in terms of being able to make a trade or even sign a buyout candidate (because sometimes guys get bought out who aren't old ring-chasing vets like with Corey Brewer forever ago).
    Good , Chinook!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not clear where the line is. Like from what I'm reading the NBA announced four Spurs testing positive. I'd have to actually research it to see exactly how that became known, but it would seem to be pretty sketchy. I do think every country has their own standards for that, and even the different leagues have their standards. In the NFL, it was routine to announce a player was out due to COVID protocols, but that didn't only mean testing positive. They had to do it that way, because the league had a special roster exemption for that case, so teams needed to clarify whether they were using that exemption or not.

To a certain extent, you can't completely respect HIPPA on something like this, because you have to be able to inform those in contact-tracing that they need to isolate. That's just for regular folks here. The NBA has other obligations to teams and financial partners, so there's always an incentive to disclose more information. I think they've basically agreed to a shortcut where they announce a player is in protocol and will be out for however long, and the media just announces it as a positive test without the teams actually saying it. Or it'll become common knowledge, and the team won't have to worry about being the ones who disclosed it. I'm betting someone could sue the NBA behind this if the will was there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HIPAA (note the spelling) is only for health care providers. No one else is required to comply with the law.

The NBA may have other rules in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope the Spurs look into bringing Renfro over, even if it’s on a 2-way. He looks like a defensive monster and only needs to hit a better 3-point percentage to become an NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HIPAA (note the spelling) is only for health care providers. No one else is required to comply with the law.

The NBA may have other rules in place.
    Sorry. You're right. That limits on employer disclosure come from the ADA, not from HIPAA/HIPPA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope the Spurs look into bringing Renfro over, even if it’s on a 2-way. He looks like a defensive monster and only needs to hit a better 3-point percentage to become an NBA player.
    I think they need to let go one of Q and KBD in order to give another two-way contract.

I think the logic behind going the 10 day route is to see how he would fit chemistry wise in the locker room, and if his work ethic is up to par with what they'd expect.

After the ten day contracts, can they sign him with anything other than the two way contract, Chinook ?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry. You're right. That limits on employer disclosure come from the ADA, not from HIPAA/HIPPA
    Yeah, sports teams are typically very loose with disclosing players’ health info, HIPAA or not. They aren’t health care providers per se, but they do employ trainers, physical therapists, even a team doctor. So it’s vague to me. Anyway, that’s a rabbit hole. Spurs typically don’t share much info, that may be the biggest reason for the mystery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Renfro. How does he look compared to Robert Woodard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they need to let go one of Q and KBD in order to give another two-way contract.

I think the logic behind going the 10 day route is to see how he would fit chemistry wise in the locker room, and if his work ethic is up to par with what they'd expect.

After the ten day contracts, can they sign him with anything other than the two way contract, Chinook ?
    Yeah, normally, there's a limit to when a team has to have a guy signed to a two-way deal. It's supposed to be a bit after the guarantee/10-day date. So a player getting off two 10-days necessarily can't be signed to a two-way deal. I don't know for sure that it's banned this year though.

The idea behind a 10-day can well be to get a look (since by that time in the season, any other deal is fully guaranteed for the rest of the year), but it can also be to fill a temporary roster need like what could happen with the Spurs next week. They could sign a big to a 10-day to bolster a depleted front-court (hypothetically), while not committing their full contract slot to a guy who'd be the fourth center on a healthy team. After everyone gets back, they could then start giving 10-days to guys like Renfro to develop while still having the salary room to sign them long-term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We currently have a roster spot open on the big club, so, yes, he can be signed to a minimum contract at the point where it won’t put us in the tax,which should be soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, sports teams are typically very loose with disclosing players’ health info, HIPAA or not. They aren’t health care providers per se, but they do employ trainers, physical therapists, even a team doctor. So it’s vague to me. Anyway, that’s a rabbit hole. Spurs typically don’t share much info, that may be the biggest reason for the mystery.
    Yeah, by the ADA, they shouldn't even report regular injuries. A normal place of work would be liable to trouble if they were like, "Hey everyone, Peter's gonna be walking a big gingerly for the next two weeks. He has a groin injury. Alice in Accounting tore her ACL, so don't expect to see her in the office for the rest of the year." It's not a random convention that no one else does this (in the US at least) -- it's illegal, and if sports didn't have so much money to grease political wheels, we wouldn't know any of those thing about players. That we do makes sense, since so much of the sport economy depends on the health of the players. But it should be cracked down on way more than it usually is, and in a case like with COVID, it looks like they are taking it a bit more seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Renfro. How does he look compared to Robert Woodard?
    Two completely different players.

One is a big wing, the other is an athletic forward.

Woodard has an arsenal of offensive moves, but he's slower and less explosive than Renfro.

Renfro has better timing on blocks, better verticality, elite athleticism - Excellent lateral speed, vision, his defense is top notch.

Woodard has potential to be an ISO go-to scorer. Reminds me of someone like Caron Butler.

Renfro is a total team player and does all the small things. Reminds me a lot of Draymond Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We currently have a roster spot open on the big club, so, yes, he can be signed to a minimum contract at the point where it won’t put us in the tax,which should be soon.
    Poeltl was actually a bro and took a small enough salary in his first season to get SA enough room to sign a rookie-min deal from the beginning of the season. They could've had Ren in the whole time. But by not using the roster spot, they are quickly approaching the time where they could sign any player to a min deal without going into the tax. That gives them options.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is part of the players CBA that they have to tell their employer of any injury/sickness. the team then is the employer and can release it.

here is an article I found on it. It deals with NFL but I think I have seen the same thing on NBA before.

https://deadspin.com/do-hipaa-laws-a...tes-1844195531

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two completely different players.

One is a big wing, the other is an athletic forward.

Woodard has an arsenal of offensive moves, but he's slower and less explosive than Renfro.

Renfro has better timing on blocks, better verticality, elite athleticism - Excellent lateral speed, vision, his defense is top notch.

Woodard has potential to be an ISO go-to scorer. Reminds me of someone like Caron Butler.

Renfro is a total team player and does all the small things. Reminds me a lot of Draymond Green.
    It’s funny, but when someone dropped the analogy of Luka to AK47, the first thing I thought was,no, Renfro is AK47. Blocks, steals, rebounds, assists, and a bit of scoring thrown in. He’s a guy who could legit drop a 5X5, five in each category, in one game. AK did it 3 times, Olajuwon 5 times, and no one else more that once. Spurs to do it were DRob and Ice. Funny you should mention Draymond. He has one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it is part of the players CBA that they have to tell their employer of any injury/sickness. the team then is the employer and can release it.

here is an article I found on it. It deals with NFL but I think I have seen the same thing on NBA before.

https://deadspin.com/do-hipaa-laws-a...tes-1844195531
    Yeah, but it's more complicated than that too. Like teams can disclose if a player has an injury or a disorder that directly affects their play. But you'll pretty much never hear of a team disclosing something like a mental disorder or really go into any detail about medical issues besides giving the general outline. There was an guard for Tampa Bay who just randomly started missing games and then retired, and to this day, I don't think the team has ever said why. We only know that he ended up deteriorating pretty severely and can't take care of himself anymore. It was a crazy-sad situation, since he was a second-rounder (which for those who don't know is like a mid-lotto pick by NBA standards) who only got to play for two years. That article sort of points out how gray the area really is. It looks like it's illegal for any employer to disclose medical information to the public, but the major US sports organizations have bargained for the players to authorize the teams to release SOME medical info. Given COVID's novelty, I don't know that the CBAs really let the teams disclose it. And given that the default is that disclosure is illegal, teams probably should just not do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, by the ADA, they shouldn't even report regular injuries. A normal place of work would be liable to trouble if they were like, "Hey everyone, Peter's gonna be walking a big gingerly for the next two weeks. He has a groin injury. Alice in Accounting tore her ACL, so don't expect to see her in the office for the rest of the year." It's not a random convention that no one else does this (in the US at least) -- it's illegal, and if sports didn't have so much money to grease political wheels, we wouldn't know any of those thing about players. That we do makes sense, since so much of the sport economy depends on the health of the players. But it should be cracked down on way more than it usually is, and in a case like with COVID, it looks like they are taking it a bit more seriously.
    Very true.

Thread Information