Page 18 of 128 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just a lot easier to score. There are no rim protectors and the talent is much inferior, specially the size/length of talent... only thing is if Forbes wasn't scoring there like Arci and Pato most of the time, then it's a concern but plenty of dleague players have made it into the league in recent seasons... Teams just have to tKe a flier on guys and see what's there.

BTW glad to see Garino is flourishing lately.

Not easier for everyone. LJC had something like 8 points in 26 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not easier for everyone. LJC had something like 8 points in 26 minutes.
    That's about his average. He hasn't been a bad d-leaguer. He's just an incredibly mediocre one.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...eancli01d.html

I think he has a chance to be in camp with the Spurs again next season, and with the two extra roster spots, maybe?

But I'd like to see that he was making progress in SOMETHING before even going that far. I'm rather dig Ndoye up from wherever he's buried than go down the Livio train if he's not going to develop anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, as far as shooters go, they get more open shots and with some exceptions, the contests are not as aggressive as they are in the NBA where better athletes close out faster and their size and lengh can really bother you. That was a factor for Cotton. He was one of the Toros best guys in 14-15 and didn't make it in the NBA despite multiple callups and I think size really bothered him. He was a quick dude but not as quick as Patty and not playing next to Manu and actually having to be a PG for his teams hurt him. I haven't watched Forbes much there, but he's maybe a good 3 inches taller than Cotton, although not as quick and Cotton played the PG spot in college, Forbes didn't.

I am rooting for him TBH. It's just unknown right now if he will translate into even a 3rd string guard that's NBA caliber...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we know forbes is a long shot, but what's Garino's chances of making it? he's 24 this year, and has a versatile skill set for a role player, but from what i've seen, he's not got a single specific stand-out skill that can actually make him a situational guy & help him get his lucky break.
    Last edited by Em-City; 02-11-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we know forbes is a long shot, but what's Garino's chances of making it? he's 24 this year, and has a versatile skill set for a role player, but from what i've seen, he's not got a single specific stand-out skill that can actually make him a situational guy & help him get his lucky break.
    He seems like such a hard worker. His ceiling is 3D, which could be useful. maybe an Omri Caspi lite. I just have no clue how his D translates at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems like such a hard worker. His ceiling is 3D, which could be useful. maybe an Omri Caspi lite. I just have no clue how his D translates at this point.
    Thatīs the key with Garino, if he can defend like he did during the Olympics for a long period of time, and keep his 3pt % near the 40% mark, he will have suitors.
    Seems to me that his speed is going to be the key here, he may be slow for covering some players at NBA level. But should be able to cover bench guys most nights.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thatīs the key with Garino, if he can defend like he did during the Olympics for a long period of time, and keep his 3pt % near the 40% mark, he will have suitors.
    Seems to me that his speed is going to be the key here, he may be slow for covering some players at NBA level. But should be able to cover bench guys most nights.
    The shift in the NBA to playing SF as small ball 4s could also help him. For example, he should be able to check the Aminu's and Crabbes of the world now I would think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably could do well defending a bench guy, but how many teams are realistically looking to spend a roster spot on a guy who's main skill is defending a bench Forward?

I'm thinking he needs to contribute a little more to give himself a chance. Could he be successful in the Shane Battier role?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably could do well defending a bench guy, but how many teams are realistically looking to spend a roster spot on a guy who's main skill is defending a bench Forward?

I'm thinking he needs to contribute a little more to give himself a chance. Could he be successful in the Shane Battier role?
    I think yes, but Shane wasnīt a great stopper right off the bat, just as Bruce wasnīt. Remember that in the 2003 finals, Pop would sub Manu in and make him the top of the key defender in place of Bruce, because Bruce werenīt that much of a better defender back then.
    Will Garino be a Battier or Bowen kind of guy? I hope so, is he now? for sure no. But he can start gaining some minutes as a bench 3 and D guy. And maybe develop into a consistent defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am not sure if you watched him last game in Austin, but he was primarily a SG defender and his lack of speed for defending SG was exposed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garino is garbage.

He's way too awkward on offense.

We already have kyle anderson to worry about as an akward offensive wing. No need for another one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
    6m The Pelicans are in the process of signing Hollis Thompson to a 10-day contract, league sources say

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
    6m The Pelicans are in the process of signing Hollis Thompson to a 10-day contract, league sources say
    I hate to see that. I wish the Spurs had signed him, but timing was everything. If Pau had not gotten his hand injured, Joel Anthony never would have been signed. Perhaps then the Spurs would have signed Hollis Thompson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to see that. I wish the Spurs had signed him, but timing was everything. If Pau had not gotten his hand injured, Joel Anthony never would have been signed. Perhaps then the Spurs would have signed Hollis Thompson.
    These 2-way contracts coming up with the new CBA will be very useful. If you can get the players to sign them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These 2-way contracts coming up with the new CBA will be very useful. If you can get the players to sign them.
    The new CBA will be interesting - and challenging to get used to. As for Hollis, he is likely to join the list of guys who slipped through the Spurs' fingers. Very unfortunate.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn Forbes continues to light up the D-League. 36pts in 2.5 quarters. Could've gone for MVP if he played enough games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garino is garbage.

We already have kyle anderson to worry about as an akward offensive wing. No need for another one.
    Agreed. People only care about him because he's Manu's "compadre".

He's an average player in division 2 basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn Forbes continues to light up the D-League. 36pts in 2.5 quarters. Could've gone for MVP if he played enough games.

Exactly the reason he's not waived or traded for flotsam that wouldn't help this season anyways... Wait until Mills agents comes in with $$ demands in the offseason... one can't tell honestly how it will go but he could have a role to play in the Spurs future. He's a fine project to keep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes has a pure shot. Once he gets used to the system, he'll have the confidence to do in the NBA against the big boys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://dleague.nba.com/games/20170223/sxfaus/

It was a pretty well-rounded game for him with the eight rebounds and three assists. He even had a steal and block, apparently.

Livio seems to be rounding into some type of form.

That's the kind of stuff that gives you hope, and some of the passes he makes only adds to that. But I don't think he's shown enough yet. Maybe with the new extra roster spots for split contracts, he'll find a way to grab a spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks Hollis Thompson got picked up. He's a reliable 40% 3pt shooter (was shooting 48.4% from three in Austin) that could've been had for the minimum. But no, let's pick up a washed Joel Anthony who in his prime averaged 2pts and 2reb

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly the reason he's not waived or traded for flotsam that wouldn't help this season anyways... Wait until Mills agents comes in with $$ demands in the offseason... one can't tell honestly how it will go but he could have a role to play in the Spurs future. He's a fine project to keep.
    The dude can shoot. Given his small salary, no reason to let this project get into the wrong hands. Besides, he's insurance in case Patty Mills bolts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garino is garbage.

I disagree. They are total opposites, while Anderson has "no spots" offensively, Garino is essentially a spot up shooter and able to draw some scores finishing strong off cuts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://dleague.nba.com/games/20170223/sxfaus/

It was a pretty well-rounded game for him with the eight rebounds and three assists. He even had a steal and block, apparently.

Livio seems to be rounding into some type of form.

That's the kind of stuff that gives you hope, and some of the passes he makes only adds to that. But I don't think he's shown enough yet. Maybe with the new extra roster spots for split contracts, he'll find a way to grab a spot.
    I see you still pumping LJC.

one thing this shows is that we need to stop leaving our prospects in Europe, and get them over to develop in Austin. Nikola Militunov comes to mind right away.

Thread Information