Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republican Led House Passes an Uncons utional Defense Spending Bill

Led by the GOP, the House passed a defense spending bill today that violated the cons ution separation of powers by stripping President Obama of his Commander in Chief authority.By a vote of 340-73, the House passed a defense spending bill that includes a provision that forbids President Obama from move any detainees from the prison at Guantanamo Bay for a year.The problem with this piece of legislation is that it is not cons utional.

Before the House passed the bill, the White House had already labeled the GITMO provisions uncons utional, “The Administration strongly objects to sections 8107, 8108, 8139, and 9015 of the bill, each of which would restrict the Executive Branch’s ability to manage the Guantánamo detainee population. The President has repeatedly objected to the inclusion of these or similar provisions in prior legislation and this year has reiterated his call to the Congress to lift such restrictions. As the President said in his State of the Union Address, “this needs to be the year Congress lifts the remaining restrictions on detainee transfers and we close the prison at Guantánamo Bay.”

Operating the detention facility at Guantánamo weakens our national security by draining resources, damaging our relationships with key allies and partners, and emboldening violent extremists. These provisions are unwarranted and threaten to interfere with the Executive Branch’s ability to determine the appropriate disposition of detainees and its flexibility to determine when and where to prosecute Guantánamo detainees based on the facts and cir stances of each case and our national security interests. Sections 8107, 8139, and 9015 would, moreover, violate cons utional separation-of-powers principles under certain cir stances.”
    The White House is correct on this one. Republicans have always tried to ignore this fact, but the GITMO detainees that were captured during armed conflict are prisoners of war.

The House does not have the cons utional authority to forbid the president from doing anything with POWs. This is why, until now, congress has chosen to block President Obama’s efforts to close the prison by withholding funding.
    The House of Representatives is limited to controlling the power of the purse, and congressional oversight. Republicans and Democrats who voted for this bill stepped way over the line, and violated the cons ution.

Republicans sought no legislation to limit George W. Bush when he released or transferred 500 detainees from GITMO.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/06/...iticus+USA+%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate Military Bill Passes: Prohibits Gitmo Transfers

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2015/1...itmo-Transfers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like Obama has never done anything uncons utional...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    chicken s

40 Colorado Sheriffs Send Letter Opposing Gitmo Detainee Transfer

Forty sheriffs in Colorado wrote to the White House to oppose any plan to move detainees from the detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to prisons in the state.

The sheriffs argued in the letter sent Monday that Colorado would be in danger if the Pentagon sends Guantanamo detainees to either of two prisons under consideration in the central part of the state.
    Although the prisons are capable of securing the detainees, the action would attract "sympathizers who would mount an attack ... or commit other acts of terror," the lawmen wrote.

"We believe it would be dangerously naive not to recognize that a civilian prison with an untold number of enemy combatant inmates, located in our state, would provide a very tempting target for anyone wishing to either free these detainees or simply wishing to make a political statement," the sheriffs wrote.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/fo...+%28TPMNews%29

what a bunch of ball-less chicken s. They should WELCOME an attack by sympathizers as a chance to kill them all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Groundbreaking" Exposé Shows Pentagon Thwarting Obama's Bid to Transfer Guantánamo Prisoners

In the nearly seven years since President Obama ordered Guantánamo’s closure, Republicans have blocked him at every turn.

Now a new report sheds light on another obstacle in Obama’s way: his own Pentagon. According to Reuters, military brass
    have imposed bureaucratic hurdles to keep prisoners locked up and prevent foreign governments from taking them in.

Scores of prisoners cleared for release have remained imprisoned for years as a result.

We are joined by two guests: Charles Levinson, the Reuters reporter who broke this story, and Omar Farah, the lawyer for a Yemeni prisoner who was cleared for release five years ago but remains behind bars due to Pentagon interference.

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/12/...warting_obamas

I read that Barry is gonna push really hard in 2016 to close Gitmo. The Pentagon may go Lee-Harvey-Oswald on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm over it. Leave it open if it's that important to these people.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pentagram of Evil is supposed to publish a detailed plan for closing gitmo Tue morning.

Repugs will block it by not funding it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the current annual cost of Guantanamo prison and war court operations? $455 million a year — or $4.9 million per detainee

https://www.facebook.com/propublica/?fref=nf

Repugs WASTING taxpayers $Bs to spite Obama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing savages. Not the prisoners btw. ing animals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the current annual cost of Guantanamo prison and war court operations? $455 million a year — or $4.9 million per detainee

https://www.facebook.com/propublica/?fref=nf

Repugs WASTING taxpayers $Bs to spite Obama.

Is Gitmo all Fed employees or is this some President Cheney / Haliburton money grab?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Terrorists in U.S. Prisons

Republican leaders have blocked the closing of the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, because they say they do not want terrorists held on United States soil.

But American prisons currently hold 443 convicted terrorists, far more than the 89 men who remain imprisoned in Cuba.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=top-news&_r=0

Yet again, yawn, the Repugs caught LYING, and always a really , weak, transparent lie, behind "can't let Obama close GITMO because the terrorists on US mainland would be terrorist targets" and always as strict obstructionists to the hated knitter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haley shows how not to make the case against Guantanamo transfers

The state’s Republican governor, Nikki Haley, was on Capitol Hill yesterday to make her case against any possible transfers, though her arguments were surprisingly weak. The Huffington Post reported:

It’s “the city we call the holy city,” “the number one vacation spot in the country,” “the friendliest state in the union,” “the most patriotic state in the Union,” Haley told members of the House Oversight and Management Efficiency Subcommittee. “Why would anyone want to put terrorists in Charleston?”

The South Carolina governor then switched to a more somber note. “We looked hate in the eye last year,” she said, referring to the shooting by a white gunman, who killed nine people at a historic black church in Charleston. “Our state is still recovering from that.”

The governor may not have fully thought this one through.

Haley was referring, of course, to the brutal mass shooting at Mother Emanuel in Charleston last year, which she and others characterized as an act of domestic terrorism. And yet, the shooter was arrested and locked up – in a Charleston prison.

The terrorist’s imprisonment hasn’t affected the community’s tourism, its patriotism, or its friendliness.

Indeed, one of the strangest things about Haley’s argument is the extent to which it seems to be a case against having corrections facilities altogether. It’s “the city we call the holy city,” “the number one vacation spot in the country,” “the friendliest state in the union,” and “the most patriotic state in the Union.” So why would anyone want to put murderers, rapists, and child molesters in Charleston?

But the governor stuck to her unpersuasive arguments anyway, insisting that “tourism and economic development would suffer” if even some prisoners were transferred to South Carolina facilities. The problem, of course, is that this argument has already been proven false.

Charleston’s Post and Courier reported several years ago that in 2005 the Bush/Cheney administration made the Navy’s brig in South Carolina the only facility on American soil that housed people the administration deemed “enemy combatants.”

Yaser Hamdi, Jose Padilla, and Ali Saleh al-Marri were all locked up for a time in South Carolina, in a prison just outside Charleston.

Tourism and economic development remained unaffected. Local residents did not live in a constant state of fear. There were no additional strains on law enforcement or the criminal justice system.

If Haley believes it’s fine when President George W. Bush imprisons suspected terrorists in South Carolina, but it’s an unacceptable outrage when President Obama does the same thing, she’s going to need much better talking points.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

All y'all's Repug blind ideology makes you stupid, ignorant as all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you for the Gitmo transfers, boutons, or do you just want to use that as a club to bash Republicans?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are you for the Gitmo transfers, boutons, or do you just want to use that as a club to bash Republicans?
    I said above or in some gitmo thread, to close gitmo and give it back to Cuba. And Repugs deserve every club bashing, esp around the head severely. They are ALL much better for USA dead than alive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you eliminate your political opposition, you eliminate the problem.

No man, no problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can't imagine DOJ would touch it. impeachment could happen after the midterms if the GOP wins the Senate, but it would be on other charges.
    Prosecutors and Congresses across the country pick and choose what laws to enforce like Christians pick and choose what Bible verses to follow.

Rule of law is very mutable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure. that's a flaw and a virtue.

did you have a point?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz Isn’t Gone. He’s Just Getting Started.

Keep Guantanamo open indefinitely

In his final year in office, President Obama has pushed hard to fulfill his campaign promise to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, where dozens of detainees have been held for more than a decade without charge or trial. He sent Congress a plan to shut down the facility in February, and hasstepped up transfers of the prisoners who have already been cleared for release. Top military officials have warned that the prison’s continued existence is eroding the reputation of the U.S. with its allies abroad, inspiring the torture of captured U.S. citizens, and functioning as a recruiting tool for terrorist groups.

But Cruz and other Senate Republicans have vowed to do everything in their power to block these efforts.

Not only is Cruz trying to block the release of any of Guantanamo’s detainees, he joined an effort to grow the prison’s population.

He and other Republican Senators are demanding the U.S. send ISIS members captured in Iraq and Syria to the island prison.

The continued partisan battle over the future of Guantanamo could, among other things, hinder the ability to normalize relations with Cuba.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...senate-agenda/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The U.S. Government Has Been Outsourcing The Gitmo Trials

The Defense Department has farmed out to a private company much of the criminal investigation and trials of the men accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, according to federal records and sources affiliated with the trials who spoke to BuzzFeed News.

What’s more, the government has hired the same firm, SRA International, to serve both the prosecution and defense teams, sparking concerns of a conflict of interest that could undermine the integrity of one of the most significant terrorism cases in modern history.

“Where did these people come from; how did they get selected?” asked David Nevin, a lawyer for alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. “I have no idea. And that’s a problem, to say the least.”

The role of contractors in the Gitmo investigations raises questions about accountability at the notoriously secretive war court.

“It does surprise me,” Laura inson, a professor of national security law at George Washington University, said of contracting out a major terrorism investigation. “It raises questions about who is running the investigation. The fact that there is so little transparency raises a red flag because we can’t evaluate if there are adequate accountability measures in place.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aramroston/...Y80#.bamWQQ7k6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Released Gitmo prisoners return to evil ways: report

WASHINGTON — More than 100 prisoners released from Guantanamo Bay went right back to being terrorists when they got out, according to a new report.
    Out of 647 detainees who were released, 116 — or 18 percent — have been confirmed as “re-engaging” in terrorism, according to the report by the Director of National Intelligence.
    Of those, 25 are dead and 23 are back behind bars.

more:
    http://nypost.com/2015/03/06/release...l-ways-report/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year, the administration identified 12 former detainees — six released under Bush and six under Obama — who were back fighting against the US and Western interests.
    Those determined to be involved in terror activities were found to be “planning terrorist operations, conducting a terrorist or insurgent attack…conducting suicide bombing, financing terrorist operations, recruiting” and other activities.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So ing what? 12 more terrorists make a big ing difference?

There 1000s of terrorists all over the Middle East and Africa, Thanks, Repugs!, and 100s or 1000s of those terrorists were recruited using GITMO as a recruiting tool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So ing what? 12 more terrorists make a big ing difference?
    That is just last year Numby.
    Over 100 since Gitmo started releasing terrorists.

And yes it makes a difference to those killed or injured by their demonic behavior.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is just last year Numby.
    Over 100 since Gitmo started releasing terrorists.

And yes it makes a difference to those killed or injured by their demonic behavior.
    Repugs invading, occupying, destroying their countries was the original, instigating demonic behavior.

Don't they have a right to fight back against The Great Satan?

Thread Information