Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Right now, I'm kind of at a dark point of my life. With religion, I'm currently on the fence on whether to give Christianity another shot or if I should just give up on Christianity and religion in general and become an atheist. One of my new year's resolutions for 2010 was to figure this out by the end of the year. In my past especially when I was younger, I was a very loyal and faithful Christian but certain things happened and made me constantly doubt and question Christianity and God. Some of you are probably going to tell me shut the up or stop being a pussy or crying but I'm only asking for you guys to hear me out on this before you judge. Lately, I just don't see the point of beliving in God and Christianity. I think about it a lot too. I will admit that I have a lot of anger and resentment toward God about some things. I just need some input on this. So if you have any compelling arguments for either side, I would like to hear them.

Dreaming of you-Selena ALWAYS bet on BLACK's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Jacob, follow your ladder.

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Flip a coin, you end up dead and rotting in the end anyways.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    After I watched the entire 'Cosmos' series by Carl Sagan, I am much more comfortable about my beliefs. And no, I'm not an atheist.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    There's more than christian and atheist

Go and drink 4 bottles of tussin without expectorant

That question is the last thing you'll be concerned with

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Dp

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just be a good person, yo, and don't make people cry and be of service to people that are too weak to have a voice in this busy world. The flying spaghetti monster would appreciate it anyway. Pastafarian ftw!

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    For me it's either atheist or Christian. Well, I guess maybe agnostic too. It's just kind of a problem because religion is a big deal in my family.

Name
    jaffies
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Convince me to be a Christian or atheist
    I'm not saying this will happen,

but when you meet St. Peter in heaven and he asks, "Why do you believe in God?", you'll simply say....

"Spurstalk"?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For me it's either atheist or Christian. Well, I guess maybe agnostic too. It's just kind of a problem because religion is a big deal in my family.
    Seriously, there's much more to life than making that choice. I'm sure you're family loves you and could give a about your dualistic approach. Whatever you're angry at God about, if you're still angry at God it means you believe he exists...so if you feel that way you're only alternative is to rebel against the "will of God." Only you can answer that "will" consists of and how to go about fighting against it.

Also, the message of Christianity, IMO, is humble service. You take care of people, people will take care of you. It's pretty simple, and yea bad things happen, but that's life. Life happens and if you don't like the randomness of it, there's an even greater existential question for you to ponder. I bet you won't even get to asking it though, you obviously care too much. So just relax and figure out how YOU can make whatever situations you don't like better for yourself and those around you. Basically, quit using God or the lack thereof as a crutch and get the up and march.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    whatever helps ya cope man.
    what are you hoping to gain by believing in either?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Atheists are ing heads though

they spend so much time and energy yapping about how there's not a god and how they're better than christians they might as well have devoted themselves to god in the first place

but protestants are still more annoying

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    The main reason why I have anger towards God is because of past disappointments. I'm not saying that I prayed for a million dollars or to get laid by a super model. I had realistic prayers that didn't get answered and it pissed me off. I also made a lot of terrible mistakes and choices in my past which have resulted in why I'm having this debate. God could have prevented me from making those bad mistakes and choices in my past or at least given me a sign or warning. I will admit that those choices and mistakes are my fault but I do blame God for letting me make them. And another reason why I'm pissed at God is because I want to know what my purpose is. I know that's a really deep question and that a couple billion people probably have the same question too but I need to know. I need to know what I'm suppose to do in life. My downward spiral started to begin when I got into college. That was the first time I realized what the world is really like because I was sheltered as a kid. I use to be a nice helpful caring person when I was younger but now I'm a negative pessimistic prick.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You shouldnt be asking others to convince you. You should think for yourself and what you feel best about, that it will be....

Besides, in believing something, or in god, it doesnt mean you 'have' to be a christian or whatever religion. You don't have to believe like how the bible or church tells you to believe. You can believe in your own way, that's a nice and personal thing.
    Last edited by Bukefal; 03-04-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah you already started those threads

the only advice I can give you, not that I'm pushing a big body beamer, is- do what you want to do and let others do what they want to do

it sounds stupid but it's the best advice I ever got, it make take a few years to figure it out but that is deep and you can use it in almost any situation

Also the golden rule- spurstalk is not your diary.

Name
    jaffies
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    spurstalk is not your diary.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Yeah I wasn't trying to sound like a baby or . I just had to vent. There are a lot of people that say they love God and have a relationship with Him. Sometimes I don't understand that. How can you love someone or something that you cannot see, touch, or hear? This is probably a bad or stupid reason to believe in God but I have only believed in His existence because I have a fear of . Or I guess you could say it's fear that had always been my reason for believing. Anyways, I'm sorry if I shared too much personal .

Spurs Nation
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You shouldnt be asking others to convince you. You should think for yourself

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Religion is not a replacement for personal responsibility.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    How old are you?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Like I said, don't use belief in ANYTHING (religion, government, love) as a crutch. You're equipped with capacity to navigate a world full of a lot of good and a lot of bad, where you stand on that line and how you look out at the rest of the world is YOUR responsibility. Don't pray with words, do it with actions and pray to the people in your life that you care about most and the strangers in your midst that need a help. Go volunteer with people trying to rehabilitate from burns, amputations, etc...and you'll see that God/the flying spaghetti monster/Tao/Clouds didn't BRING THEM to you so you could find a purpose, you were brought to them to make things easier FOR THEM. Cuz all I'm reading from you is "me me me" and LIFE ain't about getting handed the answers...you can't take the meanness of others and disappoints personally, there's a load of people on this little rock that died before you without having their wishes granted. But you're still alive, so act like it.

Spurs Nation
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I have only believed in His existence because I have a fear of .

I'm very certain that doesn't exist. Dont' worry about it. If you really start thinking about it logically the whole concept falls apart.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Stringer_Bell, that was pretty deep.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    C.S. Lewis was an atheist who became a famous Christian writer. You might try reading some of his works like Mere Christianity and other nonfiction writings. Josh McDowell's Evidence that Demands a Verdict is also one of the more popular Christian apologetic books.

It might take a little longer than a paragraph or two from anyone on this board, but it's an important subject and if you're looking for a logical argument you should look to those who make the best arguments. Logic is not the only component of choosing what you believe, but it's a good place to start.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm not saying this will happen,

but when you meet St. Peter in heaven and he asks, "Why do you believe in God?", you'll simply say....

"Spurstalk"?

Thread Information