College: Pittsburgh
    Years Pro: R

info

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beast...nothing more need be said.

But of course, I will continue...

Nothing in Spurs history will likely be on-par with lotto ball bouncing the Spurs' way in the 1997 draft, but Blair falling to the Spurs in the second round may end up being pretty darn close.

Just in his rookie season, despite limited knowledge of the Spurs' system and underdeveloped offensive game, Blair has already established himself as a productive rotation player. His game speaks for itself, posting the best points per 40 minutes (17.2), rebs per 40 minutes (13.6), and PER (18.34) of any big not named Duncan. Actually, his R/40 is higher than Duncan (13.4) and he has the 3rd best PER on the team of players with regular minutes...ahead of Tony Parker.

Blair's impact however, goes beyond the numbers. If you watch him play you can tell that he's an incredibly intelligent person, often making the right passes or understanding where he needs to be on the court. He also has an infectiously positive personality and displays relentless energy/hustle.

The best part about Blair is his youth and upside. As previously mentioned, Blair doesn't have a go-to offensive move in the post or any real mid-range game to speak of. Give him an off-season working with Duncan in the post and Engelland on the perimeter and this kid could be scary good.

There's always going to be a concern about his lack of ACLs and what that means for his upside to the team as far as role and minutes. But, I'd say that he's already outperformed to the expectations of a second round pick and the future looks promising for both him and the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we got 2 lottery picks for nothing when they all drop into our hands, spliiter and heavy d

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we got 2 lottery picks for nothing when they all drop into our hands, spliiter and heavy d
    Technically the Spurs don't have Splitter yet. But yeah, I imagine both will be key to their future if they want to stay relevant. To that end, I'm glad that the Spurs locked up Blair for four years at a rookie-level salary. Having a player that good for that cheap only increases the chances that the Spurs stay relevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If parker could ever learn to feed him cutting to the basket he could put up 12/10 easy. DB has great hands, but Tony has trouble dropping a bounce pass in traffic, a better option than throwing it over the top of the trees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JMcDonald_SAEN
    Btw, Blair says leg soreness that kept him out in Vegas a non-issue. To prove it, he dunked several times for ikds at #spurs youth camp.

talked to dejuan blair. Says he's been working on his range. How far can ge go. "Still got no range," he laughed. #spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whats DB's role this season? 1st big off bench? starter? while he average a double double?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whats DB's role this season? 1st big off bench? starter? while he average a double double?
    Why would it be any different than last season? He well play behind TD and split time with bonner at the 4. No way he averages even close to a doubel double, sorry.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depending on how he's improved in his defensive rotations and other spots who knows.

Right now he's gonna fight Dyess for minutes IMO, Bonner as well.

Splitter might take some of Duncan's minutes depending on how he adjusts, how well he plays etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely needs to work on his defensive rotations. He also needs to lose some weight so that he can stay with players on the perimeter, and get up and down the court with stretch fours. This is especially true if he is going to play more PF this year since Splitter is on the roster. He also needs to work on his jumper obviously. Tbh my optimistic outlook for him has always been as a Charles Oakley type, so if he could hit jumpers and be the weakside help defender Oak was that would be great.

The only way I can see him getting a lot of minutes is some significant weight loss and a vastly improved jumper. Since he would need to play pf to average anywhere near 30. Even then Duncan would have to sit out back to backs to get his total that high. All in all, a highly improbable scenario.
    Last edited by Booharv; 09-24-2010 at 06:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AlexKennedyNBA Alex Kennedy
    Wilson Chandler has signed with the Italian club Olimpia Milano. Chandler can opt out in several months, after the Euroleague's first stage.

DeJuan Blair has received similar, month-by-month offers from European teams.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might as well. If he waits until the lock out is over to start playing ball again he's going to look like Tractor Traylor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeJuan Blair (@DeJuan45) makes his international debut today. His game will be streamed online right here: http://www.basketnews.lt/informacija/tiesiogiai.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Round - Sep 27, 2011 (by Eurobasket News)

Krasnye Krilya - Siauliai 98:78 Krasnye Krilya opened the VTB League Qualifying Round with an impressive victory. The Russian team fired past Siauliai in Lithuania. DeJuan Blair (201-F-89, college: Pittsburgh) stepped up with 23 points and 11 rebounds to lead the effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The compe ion there (Sialai) is like 3 levels below the Euroleague level. If not more.

Basically, games like that are totally meaningless.
    thanks for the insight. im not very familiar with the level of compe ion he is playing with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for the insight. im not very familiar with the level of compe ion he is playing with.
    Wouldn't put much stock in his "insight."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't get these over there...

from across the pond Anonymous Cowherd's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth though that may contain, I thought it was always part of the plan for DeJuan to spend that long in Russia, and leave before the next phase of the season, rather than being "let go" as a monetary decision made along the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a question about blair, does he still have upside even though his not gettin starter miinutes?

i wonder how his career would be if he was drafted on a scrub team being a starter....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Blair's heart and effort, but the Spurs bought low and now it's time to sell high. People mocked Minnesota for trading Brandon Roy based on his damaged knees, but now Roy has retired due to medical issues. Sorry, but MRIs don't lie.

Still Trying To Dunk It Plumblbw's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defensive + height problems aside, it's such a shame he's been unable to develop a reliable midrange jumper.

Mr Bones, when you say "time to sell high", does Blair still have any trade value? I know his cheap contract prevents us from getting back equal / greater value in return, but do other GM's not also view him as an undersized centre who cannot shoot outside of 8ft from the rim and doesn't play defence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right-- he'd have to be included in a package with other players. A team in dire need of rebounding would consider him as a useful energy guy off the bench. I think part of his trade value is that he has such a cheap contract and would be a minimal risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff McDonald
    JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
    After last season, Pop challenged Blair to get better handle on his weight. Blair seems to have taken those orders to heart. Good sign.

Jeff McDonald
    Blair losing weight a mild upset given 2 months spent in Russia. Didn't care for Russian food. Stuck to McDonald's and TGIFridays.

Jeff McDonald
    To answer the same question, asked many times: Blair looks good physically. Didn't balloon to Vin Baker levels as some predicted.

Jeff McDonald
    Vows to get back to playing like he did his last season at Pitt. Wants to, in his words, "unleash the rage." Seems energized.

Jeff McDonald
    Very good interview with DeJuan Blair today. Spent the offseason watching tape of his first two NBA seasons. Didn't like who he saw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know pre-season talk like this is common and the real test is if he'll maintain throughout the season...but a motivated DeJuan puts the Spurs in a much better position. I understand he's undersized, but he plays an effective role when he's light enough to move his feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did blair spent time watchin his 2 cameos in rap videos...? lmao

Thread Information