Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The poster Trill Clinton reported when Blair got hurt in practice before SL, and he turned out to be correct, when nobody else knew about it(here or in the media)..around that time, this is what he said in regards to Hairston:

From what I understand the true reason Hairston didn't play in SL was due to him having real bad back spasms. Apparently they're so bad that the Spurs don't want to take on any risk so they stashed him overseas, similar with how they put Gist in the Russian league. He'll probably play there and come back after the season.
    It looks like we have an inside here..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow! Keep posting Trill!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice find HH and it's just great to get that kind of news from ST. Props to Trill Clinton.

When a player with a non-guaranteed contract is injured, his contract becomes guaranteed until he is healthy again. It was the reason why he hasn't played in SL. Spurs also likely told him that they won't take the risk to play him in training camp and that they will be waived him before it or sooner if he finds a job overseas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now is it common for overseas teams to talk to players that will be upcoming FAs or have non-guaranteed contacts? It's happened at least twice this season where players were released from their contracts and then signed overseas right after.
    Most of the time, it's the player's agent who initiates talks with team in Europe and let them know the player will/could be available soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice find HH and it's just great to get that kind of news from ST. Props to Trill Clinton.

When a player with a non-guaranteed contract is injured, his contract becomes guaranteed until he is healthy again. It was the reason why he hasn't played in SL. Spurs also likely told him that they won't take the risk to play him in training camp and that they will be waived him before it or sooner if he finds a job overseas.
    I think that bold portion right there is exactly what Trill was alluding to. If he's correct, I don't think it goes any further than that.

While I've stated they're willing to be a taxpayer, I've only said so if it were for the right player(s). People they believed would put them back into legitimate contention. So if Hairston was having back issues (something the Spurs are extremely weary of) they may have felt it necessary to go with Gee since they'd only be able to keep 2 players and stay under the tax (Temple being the other).

Looking back, that would seem to make some sense why we heard how highly some of the coaches were on Hairston or "has a lot of fans" and why things played out the way they did: injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Trill. I remember people calling him Troll clinton . Guy obviously knows somebody.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some weeks ago I would have thought the insider is RMJ and his nick means Drill Clinton.....
    (jezzz, what a lame joke. sorry.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/de...ws.aspx?K=6472
    Medical test have confirmed the back problem and Hairston's contract has been voided. Hairston wants to do the rehab in Siena and maybe he will re-sign a new contract with them when he will be healthy.

There are a lot of uncertainties with Hairston future. He could be back with Siena , they could sign him and loan him to a weakest team, he could sign somewhere else in Europe or he could even be back with the Toros at some point of the year.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what hurts is that Malik would have sene a lot of top compe ion with Siena.
    as I said before, would be great if he could end up with Valencia, would be a nice fall back.
    (unlikely yes, why should Valencia sign an injured player, when they just released a player because of an injury)
    or call Spahija in Istanbul? they could very well use an athletic player to back up Tomas and Kinsey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good interview/article about Malik:
    http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/de...ws.aspx?K=6476

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice read

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes interesting. Wish him the best.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/de...ws.aspx?K=6472
    Medical test have confirmed the back problem and Hairston's contract has been voided. Hairston wants to do the rehab in Siena and maybe he will re-sign a new contract with them when he will be healthy.

There are a lot of uncertainties with Hairston future. He could be back with Siena , they could sign him and loan him to a weakest team, he could sign somewhere else in Europe or he could even be back with the Toros at some point of the year.
    I thought his eligibility was up.

A really tough situation for Hairston. It's looking pretty clear that the Spurs covered up his back injury trying to get him onto a European team. Obviously they think it's a serious enough injury that they were willing to just dump him off on someone else.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought his eligibility was up.
    He could rejoin the Toros as a free agent. If his injury lingers into the season, I can see this happening.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dang.. sucks for malik..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://news.tuttobasket.net/News/leggi.php?id=238562

It looks like the rehab is going well and Malik could re-sign soon a contract with Siena. It's a good news for him, Siena is a great place to develop his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://news.tuttobasket.net/News/leggi.php?id=238562

It looks like the rehab is going well and Malik could re-sign soon a contract with Siena. It's a good news for him, Siena is a great place to develop his game.
    Thanks for the update, Bruno!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/de...ws.aspx?K=6747

Malik has re-signed with Siena. Great news for him.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.menssanabasket.it/site/de...ws.aspx?K=6747

Malik has re-signed with Siena. Great news for him.

I love me some Siena.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the fans of this league, when is Hairston supposed to start playing?..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the fans of this league, when is Hairston supposed to start playing?..
    He's still out due to the back problems and probably won't be back for a while.

It's the same back problems that began to transpire over the summer.

Which probably was why Spurs sent him to Sienna (knowing they had to have less than 14-15 on the roster this season because of Holt and the investors wanting to be under the tax). That being said, I don't believe the Spurs could have afforded using a roster spot on a player that was going to be hurt most of the year (which is the case for Hairston). IMO
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 10-15-2010 at 08:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wish he was still on the roster

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's still out due to the back problems and probably won't be back for a while.

It's the same back problems that began to transpire over the summer.

Which probably was why Spurs sent him to Sienna (knowing they had to have less than 14-15 on the roster this season because of Holt and the investors wanting to be under the tax). That being said, I don't believe the Spurs could have afforded using a roster spot on a player that was going to be hurt most of the year (which is the case for Hairston). IMO
    Pretty much..IMO, he's better than any of the other prospects on the roster(other than Anderson), it has been apparent during this preseason, but he's not good enough for the Spurs to hold a roster spot for him while he's healing from an injury that could have been serious..he's still an unproven player that needs work..

Trill Clinton's post about the "stashing" just confirmed it for me..he'll be back when he can to compete in preseason IMO, assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, all the SF's that Spurs have (I am not counting Anderson) suck defensively. It would be nice to have Malik just for that.

Thread Information