Post Count

Malik Hairston | G
    Born: Feb 23, 1987
    Height: 6-6 / 1.98
    Weight: 220 lbs. / 99.8 kg.
    College: Oregon
    Years Pro: 1

info
    Last edited by Bruno; 08-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid should be playing, simple as that. Looks to have some defensive ability, and is better slashing than he was a year ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks to see him play limited minutes, because he's scared to screw up, for obvious reasons..his turnover tonight came with the shot clock running down and he didn't want to throw a stupid shot up(which he should have) so he forced a pass to Mason and turned it over..it happened to him last year too..

I want to see how he plays when he's getting consistent minutes, he always shows good flashes..he looked very good on both ends of the floor vs. Houston, he shut down Kevin Martin..

The FO obviously likes him if they guaranteed his contract despite not playing him, it would be nice if he got some early development time before next season..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still don't understand why this guy doesn't get a real opportunity. He's the best perimeter defender on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just depressing seeing him go in for a last possession to get a stop (cold) or thrown into a game only to send a message to vets not getting the job done or bringing energy (like tonight), only to be yanked as soon as Pop feels he got his point across.

The fact that Pop thinks highly enough of him defensively to put him in the game, cold, to get a stop against the likes of a Nash, with the game on the line, but not enough to warrant minutes throughout the game at the expense of a Bogans or Mason ... well, it's pretty ridiculous. And to see people or moan about what Malik is or isn't doing when he's never put in a real position to succeed (basketball's all about rhythm and timing; something Malik's never given the opportunity to garner), it's beyond frustrating.

I foolishly started to think Pop had turned a corner tonight for a split second there, with the early appearances of Malik and Ian, but I was quickly brought back to reality; if Malik and crew can't sniff the action after what happened in Houston ... I don't know how anyone could be optimistic for them to see significant floor time this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow this is early.

But yeah Malik SHOULD be part of the rotation next year. If the Spurs can't find a defensive wing, then they should experiment with Hairston. He has potential to be a good defensive player. He just needs the playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hairston>Jefferson/Mason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's sad . . .

Even when he's caught on film, in game-action, he can't help but immediately look to the bench to see if Pop's got the hook.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THC baby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

! You know what I want! Hahahahaha! I wanna talk to Hairston! Fly me to the moon like that Alice Kramden! 'Cause it's hard being black and gifted! Sometimes I wanna throw it all down and get lifted!

THC: Get lifted with Hairston . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Benophobia never got off the ground, but I can see THC flying high...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hairston has to be very careful. He could very well get "Mahinmi'd". He always looks like the NBA is too big a stage for him. Temple gets signed and immediately produces at the NBA level in games that the Spurs NEED to have. Gee gets signed, and produces at the NBA level for Washington. I like Malik's athleticism a lot, but damn, he's been on the roster most of the season, yet the Spurs feel the need for more wing/guard callups? I'd say he could lose his roster spot next year. Not that he will, but he could. It would help A LOT if he could just stick that ing corner three ball like he does in the d-league.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time for him to take that next step in his development so that he can start looking more like a rotation player...and perhaps a little healthy compe ion can help push him to that place. Besides other players pushing him, he needs to spend the summer continuing to work on his ball handling and taking several thousand jumpers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's entirely about being "overwhelmed"..I agree that Hairston should be more aggressive when he's on the floor, a lot of the time he's scared to screw up, so I guess that's correct, but he still has a serious flaw in his game, which is his ballhandling..

His shooting doesn't worry me too much, he can make it(although he obviously does have to show it at the NBA level), but his ballhandling does severely limit him..he has a great NBA body and great NBA athleticism that helps him finish at the rim and get over the defenders, but his ballhandling holds him back from doing it against better compe ion on a consistent basis..with that being said, he has significantly improved all of the previous flaws in his game, so we'll see how he responds in the Summer..

Temple is definitely more confident and he's currently a better player..Temple doesn't have much potential though IMO..I don't think he's going to get much better than he currently is..he was never too highly rated, his athleticism is alright and he's already polished and fundamental..obviously he could still fix some parts of his game with the right coaching and more experience, but I don't see what a lot of others see for the future(too early to judge though)..

Hairston is similar to Ian in the way that they're both still very raw, although Hairston might be a little more advanced..the Spurs should continue investing in him, he still has a lot of potential and he's already made it far in changing his game from a PF to an NBA wing..it'll depend on the Spurs patience with raw talent, something that the fans here are usually split on..

Using Gee is kind of a bad example IMO..you're comparing a guy playing on one of the worst teams in the NBA where he has no responsibility at all to a guy playing for the Spurs..there are numerous players in the NBA right now that were severely outplayed by Hairston in SL and pre-season that are making an impact on bad teams, it's obviously much different when there's little pressure for you to play..even with that being said, Hairston has usually produced when he's been on the floor with the Spurs, despite his poor ballhandling and inconsistent shooting..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, overwhelmed's got little to nothing to do with Hairston's inability come in and contribute the way Temple's done immediately. It's about skill set, where they are in terms of that skill set as it pertains to this system and the thing that's really been detrimental to Malik is one thing: certainty.

Take the comments from Manu for example:

“It’s about maturity and confidence. The fact that he knows he’s going to play 40 minutes now, it really changes your head,” Ginobili said. “If you screw up a couple times, you know you’re going to have another chance, so you play more freely–that’s when it turned for me.”
    Now Hairston isn't Hill and the thought of him being afforded the same la ude isn't reasonable, but it's relative: knowing your role, how your game fits with a team and having the confidence to play without the fear of making mistakes (having the confidence and trust of the coach), that's what creates the conditions for a young player to develop and thrive.

Confidence is a funny thing. Early success can lead to a player or team looking like a seamless fit or a well-oiled machine but if you get off to a bad start, or just fail to come through right off the bat, it's pretty common to see players and teams begin to press; it's all between the ears.

Like I've said before, I'm not certain Hairston's the right fit for this team and the role he'd likley be asked to assume (if that role's to be the 'Centerpiece'). I'm certain that he could contribute and be a really nice utility player to have on the bench, someone you could bust out when matchups dictate, but anything more on this team depends on his continued progress and the faith the Spurs have in him moving forward.

Should he be afforded the opportunity Bogans was this year next year ... I have a hard time believing he won't come through (and I'll readily admit my bias). His ballhandling may be shaky and something he's definitely going to need to improve to get to the next level, but it's not the huge concern for me that is for some here; not in this system, anyway (see: Bowen).
    Last edited by Blackjack; 04-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Hairston is that he has plateaued lately. He is playing with good energy but he needs to show more things than that.

Hairston won't also be D-League eligible for the next season and it could hurt his chance to stay with Spurs. If he doesn't show more than Gee and Temple, Spurs will stick with them because they can still grow with the Toros. If Spurs draft a SF with their first round pick, it will also make the situation more complicate for Hairston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hairston is a small forward. He's who should be their 'Centerpiece' this year and he should be able to eclipse his predecessor if given the opportunity.
    I agree with everything you said except I do not believe that Hairston will beat out Gee. His perimeter game is just not good enough and while his defensive effort is comendable he is just not big enough for the SF slot when our current bigs are so small. I do not expect him to even make the team in 2010-2011. If he does, he will take one of the slots for the new guy to hate as he clangs his shot or starts to pass up open shots cause he knows he is gonna miss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You sure seem pretty convinced Hairston can't shoot. Why, I'm not sure; it's not like the guy's been given the opportunities to suggest he can't when you consider he shot 40% from the three when he played consistent minutes with the Toros and he finished up his career at Oregon being a very solid shooter.

Many a fan and analyst were saying the same thing about Afflalo after his first year. And he was seeing decent playing time. Now the guy's among the league-leaders in three-point percentage. Malik can shoot. If he's given the la ude to make mistakes and find a rhythm with consistent playing time, I'm optimistic he'll make you a believer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with everything you said except I do not believe that Hairston will beat out Gee. His perimeter game is just not good enough and while his defensive effort is comendable he is just not big enough for the SF slot when our current bigs are so small. I do not expect him to even make the team in 2010-2011. If he does, he will take one of the slots for the new guy to hate as he clangs his shot or starts to pass up open shots cause he knows he is gonna miss.
    You sure seem pretty convinced Hairston can't shoot. Why, I'm not sure; it's not like the guy's been given the opportunities to suggest he can't when you consider he shot 40% from the three when he played consistent minutes with the Toros and he finished up his career at Oregon being a very solid shooter.

Many a fan and analyst were saying the same thing about Afflalo after his first year. And he was seeing decent playing time. Now the guy's among the league-leaders in three-point percentage. Malik can shoot. If he's given the la ude to make mistakes and find a rhythm with consistent playing time, I'm optimistic he'll make you a believer.
    Dont wanna keep this going in this thread but both guys are not known for there outside shooting. I believe only 1 will make the roster since they are mirror images of each other. Whoever works on there outside shooting this summer will make the roster, as simple as that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My only real beef with Hairston is his handles. I'm amazed he's been able to get as far as he has with such rickety, wooden dribbling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont wanna keep this going in this thread but both guys are not known for there outside shooting. I believe only 1 will make the roster since they are mirror images of each other. Whoever works on there outside shooting this summer will make the roster, as simple as that.
    Hairston and Gee are not mirror images of each other. Neither is what you'd consider a marksman but Hairston does have a track record of being a competent and even solid shooter. He's a versatile defender with a unique way of playing much bigger that his stature would allude, which allows him to alter and block shots and be a help on the glass, and he also possesses a quality basketball a en -- he's got good vision and he's a quality passer from the swing. The key for him to put it all together is the improvement of his handle, which would allow him to utilize his vision off the dribble more and create for himself without a rotating, recovering defense. If the ballhandling keeps improving, and it improves enough for this upcoming year, he's got a chance to be a Spur for a long time.

Gee is a little bigger, probably a legit 6-5 and he's an offensive player; a slasher. He looks the more prototypical 2-guard when you consider his build and athleticism but he's yet to transfer it to the defensive end. He and Hairston both share the ability to get to the line by utilizing their strength and athleticism but Gee is better off the bounce at this stage. He's an intriguing specimen that could seemingly do a lot of good for a team, put fouls on a opposition, put points on the board, rebound and defend at a quality level, but the defense has never been something he's ever really excelled at and there have been plenty of great athletes that never managed to. He's a quality player to have in camp and brings a lot of potential for a D-League prospect but he's going to have to show a lot more to the Spurs than the ability to score to stick and contribute. If he's able to display some solid-to-impressive D and a good energy on the court and at ude in the locker room, he just might be able to land himself a gig.

My only real beef with Hairston is his handles. I'm amazed he's been able to get as far as he has with such rickety, wooden dribbling.
    If he's playing off the ball as a spot-up shooter and slasher for the rotating defense, attacking the seams with straight-line drives, his handle is plenty adequate; which is exactly what the Spurs would be asking him to do (and that Bowen guy managed to get by in the Spurs' offense).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with yavozerb on this one. Gee and Hairston are quite similar players, they will fight for a roster spot and Gee has a lot of chances to win this battle.

Gee being mainly an offensive player is also part false. It was maybe true in the D-League but not in the NBA. When he was with Wizards, Gee did a good job at defending stars like Melo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far he's been an offensive player that's shown a few glimpses of defensive potential. And I'm just going to have to disagree that they're quite similar players when you really break down their respective games and how each attacks both ends of the floor.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone who holds that view from what they've seen from Hairston in his limited time on the floor offensively with the Spurs, but I'd argue you haven't seen what he's capable of doing just yet. Most are assuming the guy can't spread the court with the three-ball, which would muddy the waters between he and Gee, but I just don't believe it to be the case. You don't improve each year from the college three to become a solid three-point shooter and shoot over 40-percent from the NBA 3 with the Toros and forget how to shoot.

He needs the la ude the likes of an inferior player and shooter Bogans had. If he can't get it done then, I'll humbly eat my words.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Tolliver was a great shooter in SL and with Toros but sucked with Spurs. Bonner is a great RS shooter but sucked in playoffs.

You have to look what happened with Gee:
    First stage: Spurs weren't that high on him, they let him go to Wizards.
    Second stage: Gee produced with Wizards and Spurs decided to invest $500K to steal him from them.

What happens in Washington really change Spurs mind about Gee. When he got an opportunity in the NBA he takes it and produced. One can argue it's easier to take this opportunity with Wizards than Spurs but players like Temple or Mahinmi proved that it was also possible to do it in SA.

And Gee and Hairston are close players. Both are 6'6" SG/SF with good athleticism, poor ball handling and whose main strength on the offensive end it to attack the rim.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee improved his man D quite a bit during the D-League season, perhaps because he was so awful to begin with. He even got a couple of Hairston-like blocks late.

Thread Information