Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    My Team
    France
    Post Count
    That's fair. The defense and coaching blows though. CROFL Maradona as coach who left out Zanetti, Cambiasso from the team (I know it's not a huge difference, but he brought some questionable players over them and it's stupid to omit Zanetti when the defenders were not good).

Football is such a compe ive sport, especially at a WC, that you need everything to win it all now. Spain had that...no weaknesses on the field, and a good coach. You simply can't win a WC anymore without big weaknesses and without a good coach.
    That I agree 100% Maradona coach was a terrible terrible idea tbh... but he was still better than Domenech fwiw

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    The lack of defenders in this generation of Argentina's football cannot be understated though... A country that once upon a time fielded guys like Passarella, Trossero, Olguin, Ruggeri, Brown, Simon, Bauza, Sensini, Caceres, Sorin, Samuel, even Zanetti (who's a s of his former self)...

When you drop down to the likes of Heinze and Burdisso, you're toast. I really like a couple of guys from the U19, but it's gonna take a while until they make it to the top team.

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Sabella clears up Messi puzzle

Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella believes strict refereeing in Spanish club football has allowed Lionel Messi to flourish into the world's best player.

The three-time Ballon d'Or winner is undoubtedly the greatest player of his generation but the debate - largely fueled by the Argentinean's shortcomings with the national team - on whether Messi is the greatest of all time continues to rage on.

On 20 March 2012, Messi scored three goals for Barca in a win against Granada to surpass Cesar Rodriguez's mark of 232 goals to become the club's leading scorer. In contrast, Messi currently averages a goal in every three games for Argentina.

"In Spain the referees are stricter with physical play. In contrast, in South America they are more permissive," Sabella told Radio Sport Telam.

"If you play there [in Spain], there are more yellow and red cards and that is why Messi is better in Spain than when wearing the Argentina shirt.

"The best thing is that Messi is Argentine because he is a true ambassador of our country. He helps us on the field and makes us look good off it with his exemplary behaviour."

However, Sabella was keen to stress that the obvious qualities of Messi at club level should not be overshadowed by his comparatively lesser achievements on the international stage. In fact, Sabella says that Messi is so good that The Royal Academy of Spain - an ins ution responsible for regulating the Spanish language - should invent a new word to describe the player's talent.

"The Royal Academy of Spain should invent a word to define him [Lionel Messi] exactly. For me, as his coach, it is a privilege to direct him," Sabella said.

On Tuesday, Messi became the outright holder of the record for most goals in a single UEFA Champions League campaign after scoring the first of his two penalties in Barcelona's 3-1 quarter-final triumph against AC Milan.

Messi's current haul of 14 goals beat Ruud van Nistelrooy's previous tally of 12 goals registered back in 2002/03 for Manchester United.
    Take that, UEFAlona conspiracy theorists!!!

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    The lack of defenders in this generation of Argentina's football cannot be understated though... A country that once upon a time fielded guys like Passarella, Trossero, Olguin, Ruggeri, Brown, Simon, Bauza, Sensini, Caceres, Sorin, Samuel, even Zanetti (who's a s of his former self)...

When you drop down to the likes of Heinze and Burdisso, you're toast. I really like a couple of guys from the U19, but it's gonna take a while until they make it to the top team.
    Heinze is solid like very solid imho

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Heinze is solid like very solid imho
    lol no. He's awful like very very awful.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Specially as a left back which is where he was mostly used in Argentina.

My Team
    Paris Saint-Germain FC
    Post Count
    heinze was solid when he was playing for psg. That's why ManU wanted him (or Real, i don't remember). it was a long time ago though. With Marseille, he was above average at best.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    In Argentina he was always awful. He was that player that everybody complained about yet the coaches always played no matter what. Kinda like Bonner or Blair

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    heinze was solid when he was playing for psg. That's why ManU wanted him (or Real, i don't remember). it was a long time ago though. With Marseille, he was above average at best.
    Heinze was a very solid player in Paris and a leader

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Heinze needs to add some mus to his game

Not buying all the ''Argentina isn't good enough for Messi excuses''

Zidane managed with France

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Not buying all the ''Argentina isn't good enough for Messi excuses''

Zidane managed with France
    that's a valid point... France 2006 was not one of the teams of the century tbh.

They went to the final despite the coach, Domenech not worst than maradona but not by far.

that's a valid point... France 2006 was not one of the teams of the century tbh.

They went to the final despite the coach, Domenech not worst than maradona but not by far.
    Yeah & France completely fell off the map when he retired

My Team
    Paris Saint-Germain FC
    Post Count
    France 2006 had a D of Sagnol, Gallas, Thuram and Abidal with Makelele and Viera in the midfield ( viera being the best french player in this WC, zidane only played well 2-3 games and ed up at the end), That's why they were elite. Not because of Zidane.

Argentina needs a D first.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count

I agree

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    France 2006 had a D of Sagnol, Gallas, Thuram and Abidal with Makelele and Viera in the midfield ( viera being the best french player in this WC, zidane only played well 2-3 games and ed up at the end), That's why they were elite. Not because of Zidane.

This.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Making excuses for Messi

Maradona had decent defensive players in 86, but midfields and forwards were not star players

Messi is playing with star forwards and midfielders, but average defensive players

At the end of the day, things even out

So yeah, stop making excuses for Messi

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Burruchaga and Valdano not star players

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Burruchaga and Valdano not star players
    Decent, but not stars compared to Higuain, Aguerro, Di Maria, etc ...

Try again

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    You would have a hard time trying to argue that Burruchaga and Valdano aren't on those kids league in Argentina.

lol pulling "try again" like if you knew what the you're talking about

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    You would have a hard time trying to argue that Burruchaga and Valdano aren't on those kids league in Argentina.

lol pulling "try again" like if you knew what the you're talking about
    Valdano

Burruchaga

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    "youcan'tmissevenifyou'reblindsetpiece"

My Team
    France
    Post Count

Sagnol was a nice player but not a monster, I'd say decent in a contender squad.
    Gallas was still good
    Thuram was not anymore 98 thuram at 34 y/o but he brought experience
    Abidal great in spain I guess never be a great international
    Makele at 33 y/o was still good
    Viera was beastin' I agree

Zidane played well 2/3 games, he had maybe the best game of his career against Brazil, we never would have defeated Brazil without that performance.

The squad had what ? 3 stars ? zidane, viera and henry.. Try to rank France 2006 among the best finalist teams in terms of talent, they dont crack the top 10.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Oh and except for Zidane I don't see much more talents in France 2006 compared to Argentina 2010 tbh

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Oh and except for Zidane I don't see much more talents in France 2006 compared to Argentina 2010 tbh
    I would kill to have that defense in Argentina, and those center miedfielders. And a coach that uses the 4-2-3-1 formation. That's the formation I think would suit best our players and no Argie coach ever tried it.

Thread Information