Jimcs50
    May, Walsh defeat
    McPeak, Youngs
    World No. 1 duo will play for Brazil for women's beach volleyball gold

Not only was their next match for a berth in Tuesday’s gold-medal game. Their next opponents were the ones who probably knew them the best — fellow Americans Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs.

Not to worry.

May and Walsh, the world’s top-ranked team, made McPeak and Youngs scramble for every point Monday and pulled away in the second set for a 21-18, 21-15 Olympic semifinals victory.

“That was the most stressful match I’ve ever had to play in my life,” Walsh said. “The tension of the Olympic Games, the excitement — it was all bubbling over.”

May and Walsh said they could hardly sleep Sunday night thinking about the match. May was so tense, she read a chapter of “The Da Vinci Code,” and she hardly ever reads books.

“And I could barely eat,” she said. “For me not to eat, that’s a real problem.”

Both said they would sleep better knowing they are guaranteed to win the first women’s beach medal for the United States.

“I’m drained,” Walsh said. “But I’ll get it all back in 10 minutes and get ready for tomorrow.”

The No. 1 Americans play for the gold Tuesday against second-seeded Brazilians Shelda Bede and Adriana Behar, who defeated Australians Natalie Cook and Nicole Sanderson 21-17, 21-16 earlier Monday. The Brazilians won the silver in 2000, losing to Cook and Kerri Pottharst.

“I am happy, but it hasn’t finished yet,” Shelda said. “Tomorrow will be the most important match.”

That is what I'm talkin bout. Tune in tonight for Playboy in the sand.:eyebrow

CosmicCowboyXXX

not to be unpatriotic but I think I will be behind Brazil...

tlongII
    Best sport in the Olympics!

:shock

Slomo15
    CC
    Unfortunately those two are no longer in the compe ion. So there is still hope for your patriotism

TacoBeer
    CosmicCowboyXXX

not to be unpatriotic but I think I will be behind Brazil...
    Rack CCXXX

Jimcs50
    The two that are in it still have nice asses, so CC will still be behind them.

Jimcs50
    Besides, Walsh has an ass that is sweeet...so I am going to be behind her 100%.

Slomo15
    Jim I'm going to root for Walsh/May too, but only because I believe they deserve it more....

Oh and if you believe that I have a lucrative business proposition for you.... :eyebrow

TacoBeer
    Jim I'm going to root for Walsh/May too, but only because I believe they deserve it more....
    Post a Pic if it's good I'll put my SUPPORT BEHIND them.

Whottt
    The American team playing for gold is much hotter than the remaining Brazillian team. In fact one of those Brazillians that's left is not that hot at all. America is definitely the way to go on this one CC.

maxpower
    what time is the match and what channel?

TacoBeer

Jimcs50
    NBC coverage tonight from 7 pm to 11pm...sometime in that slot.

TacoBeer
    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5808107/?GT1=4529

U.S. WINS GOLD

May, Walsh win beach volleyball gold
    Fellow U.S. duo McPeak, Youngs take home bronze

NBCSports.com news services
    Updated: 3:21 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2004

ATHENS, Greece - Misty May and Kerri Walsh made it look easy, even in the end.

The top-ranked American beach volleyball pair defeated second-seeded Brazilians Shelda Bede and Adriana Behar 21-17, 21-11 on Tuesday night, capping the most dominant run in the sport’s history with a gold medal.

Earlier, Americans Holly McPeak and Elaine Youngs won the bronze medal, beating Australia’s Natalie Cook and Nicole Sanderson 21-18, 15-21, 15-9.

May and Walsh didn’t drop a set in Athens, with the 6-foot-3 Walsh dominating at the net and the quick May scrambling and diving for every dig.

On match point in a surprisingly lopsided final, Walsh hammered a e just inside in the line. Walsh fell to her knees as May ran to embrace her. They raced to the stands and grabbed American flags as “Born in the USA” blared over the speakers at the Olympics’ rowdiest venue.

May and Walsh have been gold-medal favorites since last year, when they began an unprecedented 90-match, 15-tournament winning streak.

The streak ended in June, the week after May pulled an abdominal muscle. May spent most of the summer rehabbing while Walsh continued to hone her game with other partners.

May’s injury cast doubt on the pair’s Olympic hopes, but they never showed signs of weakness. They were untouchable in Athens, improving to 108-8 over the past two years.

May and Walsh were invited to a post-Olympics party at McPeak’s home in California, where 10 bottles of Dom Perignon await.

The toasts will taste especially sweet to McPeak, who finished fifth at the Olympics in both 1996 and 2000, repeatedly set back by injuries to her partner. Two weeks before Atlanta, Nancy Reno tore a rotator cuff and couldn’t do much more than set in the tournament. Five weeks before Sydney, May — then her teammate — tore an abdominal muscle. She and McPeak hardly practiced together before the games began.

Youngs played on the U.S. indoor team that finished a disappointing seventh in Atlanta. She hit the beach the following year and paired with McPeak in 2002 with Athens on her mind.

The Americans’ victory in the bronze medal game kept Cook off the medal stand for the first time since beach volleyball became an Olympic sport in 1996. Cook won the bronze in Atlanta and the gold in Sydney, both times with Kerri Pottharst. She teamed with Sanderson last year after Pottharst retired.

The Americans controlled the first set, but trailed 16-13 in the second. Cook then aggravated her right shoulder on a dive for the ball — she keeps it heavily taped to protect a torn rotator cuff.

Cook wasn’t the same after hitting the sand, resorting to serving underhanded and grimacing after every fall.

McPeak and Youngs dominated the decisive set and when Youngs finished the match with a tap to open sand, she sprinted to the back of the court and leaped into the air. Youngs hugged her partner, then ran into the stands to hug family members. She grabbed an American flag and found a laurel wreath to put on her head.

The bronze medal completed a historic year for the 35-year-old McPeak, who became the sport’s winningest female player with a victory at Manhattan Beach in June. She lives within walking distance of that beach and had a bottle of Dom awaiting her after that victory, too

T Park Num 9
    hotness factor.

Walsh > McPeak.

Gotta love the pictures that were on ESPNEWS of there celebration of there gold medal.

tlongII
    U.S. WINS GOLD
    GEEZ! Thanks for ruining it for me! I would never post the results of an Olympic event before they it was televised!

bigzak25
    yeah....i just don't know how i can bring myself to watch it now......

my complaint is that is was lopsided....meaning a shorter match....damnit....

SAmikeyp
    Besides, Walsh has an ass that is sweeet...so I am going to be behind her 100%.
    I would have to concur with my esteemed colleague from College Station.

TastesLikeChicken
    The two that are in it still have nice asses, so CC will still be behind them

I think the horse teeth of these Brazilians devalues the asses a little

Useruser666
    Either of those players can :served me any day!!! :eyebrow

Useruser666 :eyebrow

Blood Dong
    go to www.gordonkeith.com to see a nice shot of Walsh

Thread Information