Height: 6-5 / 1.96
    Weight: 215 lbs. / 97.5 kg.
    College: Florida International
    Years Pro: 9

Info

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs first priority of the summer should be to get a bigman (Splitter or someone else). After that, if they can still spend some money, Raja Bell should be their priority. Bell for the LLE would be great.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no problem getting a guy like Bell if he's still got something left in the tank. I'd love Bell on the Spurs.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bell is a Herb Rudoy client and Rudoy traditionally has a good and close relationship with the Spurs. (Manu, Oberto, Splitter)
    LLE sounds reasonable. he will turn 34 this summer, he should have 2 decent seasons left in the tank. if he takes Bogans role, that's a great upgrade.

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he takes Bogans role, that's a great upgrade.
    I agree, the Mason for Bell trade sounded like a winner too bad about the injuries, but there could be a bright side if he signs with Spurs:

He injured his wrist at the beginning of the season and after surgery apparently focused on rehab. All that rest might give his 34 yr-old legs a little more spring than you'd expect, not to mention the possibility of being inspired playing under the bright lights of a contender after not having it for a few years now. Let's not forget he agreed to being released so GSW could fill his roster spot with someone who was healthy (class.)

His defense is proven and so is his clothesline, both of which could help in this dallas series. We know he won't shrink from wide open 3's in the playoffs. Overall, I'd say a definite upgrade from the trio of Bogner Jr.

Dice is the only player outside of the Big 3 to give that proven vet leadership/guidance to the young studs like blair and hill. Players like this are usually a staple on Pop's roster going back to Willis and Kersey. We only have 1 this year, fewer than I can remember on any Pop-era Spurs squad.

For spot minutes/ being the 8-12th guy in the rotation seems like a no-brainer to me, I'm just not sure he can be the primary 'Bruce'-type stopper 38 mpg guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely think this team needs a veteran player like Bell on the team to sit on the end of the bench and fill in as needed. Especially when you consider all the youth that we could potentially have on the wing next year (Hill, Gee, Hairston, Temple, draft pick(s)). If Raja could come in and replace Bogans it would be phenomenal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He makes alot of sense as an upgrade to "the Centerpiece", Keith Bogans. He plays the same brand of hard-nosed defense and is a better 3pt shooter.

Hopefully he's willing to take a one-year deal at the LLE, but it wouldn't be horrible to add a partially guaranteed second year to bring him into the fold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you give him the 2nd year team option if we advance deep in the playoffs next season...if not partially or just keep him since LLE isnt that much anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One can only hope. Not sure there's any free agent out there who would be a better fit, especially if Splitter comes over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bell for the LLE would be a nice pickup... It would instantly be a huge upgrade from mason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bell for the LLE would be a nice pickup... It would instantly be a huge upgrade from mason.
    I would be a huge upgrade over Mason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree, he will be good addition for the LLE.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm finding myself more and more determined that Raja needs to be a high priority target with each passing Spur playoff game.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unfortunately, if he is willing to sign for something between vet. min to LLE, to get a spot on a good team with the chance to win a ring, we will have a lot of compe ion.
    does he have a relation with Tim from Saint Croix? because this could be the biggest advantage the Spurs have over most other contenders.
    (the point that he is a Herb Rudoy client should also be helpful though. but agents usually don't look for their clients to sign a cheap contract in the first place)

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seem to remember reading back in the day that he and Bowen would spend offseasons working out together. There are certainly some connections between him and the Spurs. Hopefully they count for something in Bell's mind. But you're right that he's going to be pursued by multiple teams and it only takes one with a better situation or willing to throw more money his way to wreck the Spurs chances.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm finding myself more and more determined that Raja needs to be a high priority target with each passing Spur playoff game.
    100%. He brings so much that the Spurs desperately need right now. Perimeter defense? Check. Reliable spot-up, 3-point shooting? Check. Plus he is all too familiar with the Spurs' main rivals in the Suns, Lakers, and Mavericks.

He has to be a big priority for this team.

Duncan, Manu, Parker, Dice, Blair, Hill, Bell, and Splitter would be a solid foundation to build upon. That and ditching Mason, Bonner, and Jefferson, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked him before the trade deadline... and still like him for the right price. He also brings a tough mentality. Would be a breath of fresh air compared to some of the sissies we have in the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could probably trade Jefferson for Maggette and do a S&T for Bell and toss him into the deal as well so we don't have to blow any of the MLE, LLE or whatever.

But thats assuming that
    A) Jefferson really is done
    B) The Spurs still have interest in Maggette

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bell has been waived by GSW. He can't be S&T.

Since he is without a NBA team, Spurs can talk to him before July 1st. It will allow them not to waste time with him in July when teams had to rush to talk with FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Since he is without a NBA team, Spurs can talk to him before July 1st. It will allow them not to waste time with him in July when teams had to rush to talk with FA.
    Exactly. The Golden State Nincompoops also waived him beyond the playoff eligibility deadline (even though Bell's season was done as well). Apparently they did that to get playing time for D-leaguer Reggie Williams. Besides that, they had also waived Speedy Claxton who had an expiring contract to boot.

And yes, Raja Bell will be a very useful upgrade over Roger MoneyWaste. Will play useful spot minutes as a defender and 3 point shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I didn't realize he'd been waived.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bell is a Herb Rudoy client and Rudoy traditionally has a good and close relationship with the Spurs. (Manu, Oberto, Splitter)
    LLE sounds reasonable. he will turn 34 this summer, he should have 2 decent seasons left in the tank. if he takes Bogans role, that's a great upgrade.
    Yup, that would be ideal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, alright then. Really keeping my fingers crossed that this happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we should of kept him 10 years ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny how many people were saying that Bell was washed up, even before last season's trade deadline. It's even funnier how many thought Mason's defense was good enough.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114546

Now he's missed an entire season of ball. I'm sure he's worked out, but that's so different from playing. I would want to feel like he would be in game shape on Day 1. We've had more than our share of problems working in guys who weren't 100% when the season opened.

Guys like Bell or Bowen, who are defense stoppers, need to be 100%. We saw with Bruce that a guy like that, at 90% of his former self, is a totally different player. He'll still stop the average-to-good players, but the really good ones get loose too often. If Bell is the same player he was, he would be a good pickup.

Thread Information