My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Born: Nov 5, 1986
    Height: 6-11 / 2.11
    Weight: 230 lbs. / 104.3 kg.
    Years Pro: 1

Info

This thread is to talk about Mahinmi free agent status. For the rest of the Mahinmi's talk, please use the "Current Spur: Ian Mahinmi" thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im a Mahinmi fan, and I wish somehow we keep him but really will there be a spot for him if Splitter comes over?

Duncan, Mcdyess, Splitter, Blair, Bonner, 6th big.

If we signed him along with Splitter we would probably never see him if everyone is pretty much healthy. So as much as I would like him to stay he would be better off somewhere where he could get some PT. If by some chance Splitter doesn't sign with us then I think we should resign him asap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a clue what are Spurs' plan with Ian this summer.

3 months ago, it was so obvious that Spurs had give up on him. They didn't pick his option and Ian hasn't played a single minute for 2 and a half months.

After that, the situation went weirder and weirder:
    - Ian get some major minutes against Nets. it was maybe a showcase but it was strange.
    - Haislip goes to some crappy Euro team, Ian move up in the bigman rotation.
    - Spurs didn't trade him at the deadline and he has never been included in a trade rumor.
    - Spurs trade Ratliff, Ian move up again in the rotation.
    - Spurs didn't sign a vet or a prospect PF/C. It was because of the money since Spurs have signed 4 perimeter players (Cedric Jackson, Gee, Jerrels and Temple) and kept 3 of them for the end of the season.

It's hard to find some logic behind these moves.
    Maybe Spurs try to trade Ian at the deadline without success, they had to trade Ratliff for financial reason and they haven't find an interesting bigman to sign in March/April.
    Maybe Spurs have changed their mind about Ian after the Nets game. All these moves fit with Spurs trying to work with Ian and please him without raising his FA value.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised by Spurs bot being at all in re-signing him or trying him to re-sign him on July 1st.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in favor of keeping Ian but his stay could also depend on how the Spurs plan to use Mcdyess, who said that next season could be his last. If Pop reduces Mcdyess' playing time, because of his age, then it could open up an opportunity for Ian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Spurs have changed their mind about Ian after the Nets game. All these moves fit with Spurs trying to work with Ian and please him without raising his FA value.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised by Spurs bot being at all in re-signing him or trying him to re-sign him on July 1st.
    I've heard both RC and Lindsey lump him in with Hairston, Temple, Gee and Jerrells recently, which has given me the impression that they've done a bit of a 180 on him; not wanting to inflate his value could definitely be part of the equation.

I actually heard Coach Brown the other night mention that they hadn't had a real chance to see Ian play before and now that they have seen him play a little, they can't help but be impressed with how he seems to produce when given the opportunity.

So, basically, I think they gave up and were ready to wash their hands of him, which had him buried on the bench. But when Pop decided to let him play because he felt they needed some enthusiasm and energy that night against the Nets, Ian opened some eyes and made them question their decision.

I'm sure they've been trying to figure out what the to do ever since but since they didn't pick up his option, it'd make sense for them to keep him under wraps (to some degree). I'm just not sure if they'll be able to afford him when it's all said and done; not that he's going to get a massive contract, just something that might be a little too rich for the Spurs and the role he would assume.

It's definitely one of the stranger happenings when it comes to the Spurs and one of their players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we sign Splitter and re-sign Bonner to a decent contract (no mora than what he'smaking now) Ian like the last big man makes alot of sense...we can afford to give him a contract a la Blair for some season, he already knows (a bit at least) our plays, is young and probably better than any player we can take with our 2nd draft pick.
    Let's not forget that our main bigs next season (Tim and Mac) will be one year older and needing a lot of rest in the regular season...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard both RC and Lindsey lump him in with Hairston, Temple, Gee and Jerrells recently, which has given me the impression that they've done a bit of a 180 on him; not wanting to inflate his value could definitely be part of the equation.

I actually heard Coach Brown the other night mention that they hadn't had a real chance to see Ian play before and now that they have seen him play a little, they can't help but be impressed with how he seems to produce when given the opportunity.

So, basically, I think they gave up and were ready to wash their hands of him, which had him buried on the bench. But when Pop decided to let him play because he felt they needed some enthusiasm and energy that night against the Nets, Ian opened some eyes and made them question their decision.

I'm sure they've been trying to figure out what the to do ever since but since they didn't pick up his option, it'd make sense for them to keep him under wraps (to some degree). I'm just not sure if they'll be able to afford him when it's all said and done; not that he's going to get a massive contract, just something that might be a little too rich for the Spurs and the role he would assume.

It's definitely one of the stranger happenings when it comes to the Spurs and one of their players.
    I agree with the spurs opinion of Ian, but I believe the spurs were gonna owe Ian 2+ mil if the option was picked up earlier in the season. When you say massive contract, what range are you talking? I really do not believe he is worth more than 3mil per season at this point in his career.

If we sign Splitter and re-sign Bonner to a decent contract (no mora than what he'smaking now) Ian like the last big man makes alot of sense...we can afford to give him a contract a la Blair for some season, he already knows (a bit at least) our plays, is young and probably better than any player we can take with our 2nd draft pick.
    Let's not forget that our main bigs next season (Tim and Mac) will be one year older and needing a lot of rest in the regular season...
    Sounds good, but doesn't Ian have the option now when and where he wants to sign in the summer? Why would he sign with the spurs to be placed at the end of the bench again?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that if he sign with us he will have a lot better chances to play...chances that he didn't have this year 'cause, more of all, the choice to not exercise the option in his contract at the beginning of the season (wrong choice, imho).
    With a new contract for more than one year I think next season he could probably play, at least at the beginning, not less than 10/12 minutes a game, to give him the real chance he didn't have this season. If he works well, these minutes will be the some for all the season...
    I don't think he has a chance to take a better contract from other nba teams (at least if he don't play, and play well, in the play offs, that won't happen if not for garbage time).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with the spurs opinion of Ian, but I believe the spurs were gonna owe Ian 2+ mil if the option was picked up earlier in the season. When you say massive contract, what range are you talking? I really do not believe he is worth more than 3mil per season at this point in his career.
    I said not that he's going to get a massive contract, but he might command more than they're willing to pay for the role he'd assume.

The Spurs hope to add Splitter (whether they do or not remains to be seen) to a rotation of Tim, 'Dyess, and Blair which probably leaves two spots up front; one of which will likely go to Bonner (or a simialr type player, depending on what they can afford) and the last could be used for a rookie (with D-League eligibility), a veteran min or Ian (should he be willing to come back for a minimum type salary).

There's two factors that are key to what the front court will look like next year:

1.) Is Splitter coming over?

2.) Will the Spurs look to move 'Dyess?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs sign Splitter, the only way Mahinmi is back is Spurs don't draft a big with their first round pick and don't re-sign Bonner. Spurs will have a rotation of Duncan, McDyess, Blair, Splitter and Mahinmi. Duncan and McDyess will play less minutes in the regular season to be fresh for the playoffs and to let the young guys gain some experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs sign Splitter, the only way Mahinmi is back is Spurs don't draft a big with their first round pick and don't re-sign Bonner. Spurs will have a rotation of Duncan, McDyess, Blair, Splitter and Mahinmi. Duncan and McDyess will play less minutes in the regular season to be fresh for the playoffs and to let the young guys gain some experience.
    I can't see Pop playing with at least a big who can shoot the 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are taking a BIG risk because if someone else overpays for Mahinmi and he walks, and then Splitter winds up in Europe, the Spurs lose both of their C prospects without getting any value back. Doesn't that seem like a bad situation?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that if he sign with us he will have a lot better chances to play...chances that he didn't have this year 'cause, more of all, the choice to not exercise the option in his contract at the beginning of the season (wrong choice, imho).
    With a new contract for more than one year I think next season he could probably play, at least at the beginning, not less than 10/12 minutes a game, to give him the real chance he didn't have this season. If he works well, these minutes will be the some for all the season...
    I don't think he has a chance to take a better contract from other nba teams (at least if he don't play, and play well, in the play offs, that won't happen if not for garbage time).
    Ian's got OKC written all over him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless the Spurs overpay Ian or can give him substantial minutes; I don't think he'd want to be in San Antonio since he's probably tired of the bench.

The Spurs seem confident that Tiago will be coming over but it will be interesting to see if Bonner will remain a Spur as well and whether or not McDyess will be moved.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian's got OKC written all over him.
    Maybe you're right if it's true that his draft choice has been a Presti's one...however, I think that OKC will use his cap space ti sign a more proven big (a la Haywood) considerin their main hole is at starting center...and Ian is definitely too raw for starting for a team with le ambitions like OKC will be next year. After taht signing, I don't how much moneyOKC will have left...probably the same of Spurs...

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC now have Ibaka and I'm pretty sure they are pretty happy to have him and not Ian. and they have two more big man prospects under contract for next season (Mullens and White), both younger than Ian. plus the rights for DeVon Hardin. not really a lot of need to spend cap space and a roster spot for a player like Ian.

about Ian's future. he went up in the rotation by default. I can't see that the Spurs have changed their mind about him. but yes, if Splitter doesn't come over, the Spurs will be very limited to fill the roster and might turn back to Ian as 5th big. (after re signing Bonner). still can't see them pay more than what his 4th year option would have been (1.8 million), but likely they would offer even less. other teams won't push the price. (unless a team goes into the Jackie Butler - numbers by minutes - trap)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is how i see it, sign splitter

sign and trade bonner or mahinmi....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is how i see it, sign splitter

sign and trade bonner or mahinmi....
    If we have the money to sign Bonner, I'd be very surprised to see him traded since the odds of getting somebody who produces at his price point seem pretty low. The same may not be true for Ian, but in his case, I wonder how big a market there would be for a player as enigmatic as he is. He's very far from being a known quan y, and would represent more of a hope-and-see modest contract or scrub wages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When considering the big man rotation I have to wonder how he'd fit. Assuming the team signs Splitter and resigns Bonner (or a similar 3 pt shooting big) then you'd have:

Duncan
    Splitter
    McDyess
    Blair
    Bonner

In this scenario Ian would be the 6th bigman again and he'd likely see little time. In fact, I doubt hes even active for most games. However, if McDyess is indeed traded for a non-bigman Ian likely moves onto the active list but still plays little. Unless the Spurs FO legitimately intends to give him another shot at getting in the rotation I don't think it makes sense for Ian or the Spurs. We would probably be better off either signing a vet to ride the IR list most of the season and jump in when necessary (Theo Ratliff/Sean Marks role) or draft a big in the second round (Dexter Pittman?) and let him develop in Austin when not active.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see Pop playing with at least a big who can shoot the 3
    I can see it. Spurs have played for years without a big who can shoot the 3. There are also a lot of teams in the NBA without that kind of players.

Spurs interior defense has been really bad this year. Improving the paint defense should be Spurs main priority for this summer. Now, if Spurs want to keep Bonner, who can shoot but who is also a poor defender, Ian won't be re-signed.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't think the shooting big is a dogma for Pop. Pop's dogma rather is to have as many players as possible, who can shoot a 3 on a somehow efficient ratio. so a big, who can hit the 3 might get some Brownie points on Pop's scale another coach wouldn't count, but if the price is to high (or the minus points to many) they go without the shooting big.
    however, agree that interior defense (including defending bigs who step out to the perimeter) looks more urgent right now. Blair will get better, but there is no guarantee that he develops significantly in this area over the summer (although this will be the priority for his coaching plan). Splitter is a question mark, none can tell how he will do against NBA bigs. (IMO he will be at least a decent interior defender in the NBA once he acclimated)
    but Ian also wouldn't change this outlook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see it. Spurs have played for years without a big who can shoot the 3. There are also a lot of teams in the NBA without that kind of players.

Spurs interior defense has been really bad this year. Improving the paint defense should be Spurs main priority for this summer. Now, if Spurs want to keep Bonner, who can shoot but who is also a poor defender, Ian won't be re-signed.
    How is Tiago when it comes to interior defense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Recently all indicates that Pop does want a big who can shoot the 3. The thing is when you see the Spurs moves and/or game plan (Ian not playing, Theo given to the catts, small ball love...), there is no clear indication that suddenly Spurs will fall in love with interior defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with one caveat. The Spurs may elect to sign Bonner and look to trade McDyess, whose contract is only partially guaranteed the following year.

Either way I agree that the Spurs aren't going forward with all of Mahinmi, Splitter, Bonner and Dice...one of them would have to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading McDyess won't be easy at all. With his 2010-2011 salary, the guaranteed part of his 2011-2012 salary and his trade kicker, he will cost $8.25M to the other team. $8.25M for one year of a 36 year old McDyess is a lot of money. I don't see a lot of teams ready to spend that.

And if Spurs trade McDyess, they will have to take back contracts. If Spurs trade McDyess and re-sign Bonner, it will push Spurs deeper in the luxury tax area and cost a lot of money to Spurs.

All in all, a McDyess trade is unlikely to happen.

Thread Information