Post Count
    Link

Brady inks six-year $60 million dollar extension with Pats.

By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
    May 7, 2005

BOSTON (AP) -- The New England Patriots have signed quarterback Tom Brady to a six-year extension worth $60 million, a deal that for the first time brings the two-time Super Bowl MVP's salary in line with his accomplishments.

The extension was reported by ESPN and confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday night by a football source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"It's fantastic for the organization, for the city and for the team,'' Brady's backup, Doug Flutie, said while attending the Boston Celtics' playoff game. "I'd love to see him play his entire career here.''

Brady had two years left on his previous contract that had a total value of about $30 million -- less than Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning got in signing bonus alone even though Brady has knocked the Colts out of the playoffs in consecutive years.

"I know that when I signed my deal a couple of years ago it was a darn good deal,'' he said at the Super Bowl this year. "I feel good about the team's commitment and I think they feel good about what I have done for this team and this organization. Hopefully I'll be with the Patriots for a very long time.''

The deal had been in the works for months. But it reportedly hung up over provisions that could inflate Brady's salary cap number to a level that would make it difficult for the Patriots to maintain the roster balance that has helped them win three les.

"It's a good thing they got it done,'' said Deion Branch, who caught a record-tying 11 passes from Brady in this year's Super Bowl. "It would be good to keep everyone together. We know he'll be here, though.''

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined comment, and coach Bill Belichick did not immediately return a call seeking comment. Brady's agent, Don Yee, also could not be reached for comment.

"He just very quietly got it done. Very classy,'' Flutie said. "I just like the way he goes about his business. I've only been with the team a week and I can tell that Tom's a great leader for the team.''

A sixth-round draft pick and a fourth-stringer as a rookie, Brady took over the Patriots' starting job when Drew Bledsoe was injured in the 2001 season and has led New England to three Super Bowl victories in four years. Brady was the MVP of the 2002 and 2004 Super Bowls, twice leading the Patriots on game-winning drives in the final minutes.

New England won its third Super Bowl in February, running Brady's playoff record to 9-0.

"The business side of this game is very different than the playing side,'' Brady said in Jacksonville before leading the Patriots to a 24-21 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. "I work hard, I feel I work as hard as anyone in the league, any quarterback. I feel I'm prepared and that's what I really enjoy.

"There is also a team goal of trying to win Super Bowls, which is most important. Anyone that chooses to play on the Patriots realizes that goal supersedes any other individual player goal. You have to make decisions as an individual on whether you want to be a member of this team or not,'' he said. "I know where my priorities are.''

While Brady's passing numbers might not be as eye-popping as Manning's, he has a 57-14 record as a starter -- the best of the modern era for any quarterback with at least 40 starts. The two-time Pro Bowl selection from Michigan was 288-for-474 last season for 3,692 yards, 28 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

In his four-year career, he has thrown for 13,925 yards and 91 touchdowns, with 52 interceptions.

My Team
    Miami Dolphins
    Post Count
    ridiculous
    his line should be making that money.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Haha. You two are haters. Brady is the clutchest QB in the league. Yeah, he has a great team around him but he's still the player that makes it go.

Plus, he could have held out for more money. This contract is nothing compared to what he could have gotten.

It's 11:46...and OU STILL sucks!!!!! jalbre6's Avatar
    Post Count
    Haha. You two are haters. Brady is the clutchest QB in the league. Yeah, he has a great team around him but he's still the player that makes it go.

Plus, he could have held out for more money. This contract is nothing compared to what he could have gotten.
    I don't know about him being clutch, but he is the best game-manager QB in the NFL. And that deal is a bargain for a guy with three rings and two SBMVP's.

Rich and Smooth
    Post Count
    Oh, Yeah Montana wat 7 yrd crossing route to Jerry rice and Rice runs the other 73 yrds!! I don't see much difference there.

The comparisons are made because they bothe were late round draft picks that lead teams to Super Bowls. I think the comparison is fair!

Rich and Smooth
    Post Count
    Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Montana's. I even saw him play in the '78 Cotton Bowl. But he had average arm strength at best. Like Brady, it was his brain that made him a stellar QB

as a Jet fan he is the enemy and I hate the bas .
    as a football fan though respect the coolness and the command he has in the clutch. Great manager and has all the pieces around him to do the job, now like someone said its goin to be interesting to see him go to work without Charlie Wies as the Offensive Coordinator.

now we'll see how good the Patriots and Tom Brady are minus 2 of their best minds Weis and Crennel

Post Count
    That's good money for a football player....

Gosh thats alot of money.

Post Count
    He is worth every single penny.

My Team
    Detroit Lions
    Post Count
    I don't know about him being clutch, but he is the best game-manager QB in the NFL. And that deal is a bargain for a guy with three rings and two SBMVP's.
    dat truth bomb

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Thats a bump from

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    It's how he was viewed. How quickly people forget.

I remember being so pissed that lucky ass Tom Brady got the bounce against Carolina to give them a start on the 40 for that final drive when they got the GW field goal in the SB.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    It's how he was viewed. How quickly people forget.

I remember being so pissed that lucky ass Tom Brady got the bounce against Carolina to give them a start on the 40 for that final drive when they got the GW field goal in the SB.
    To me John Fox ed that game up, but going for two point conversions earlier than necessary. The game would have been different if he never went for two.

My Team
    Detroit Lions
    Post Count
    Thats a bump from

Thread Information