Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talk about a shock and awe campaign.

EU shoots a giant money bazooka at the problem of the debt crunch.

EU creates $1 trillion package to save euro

By RAF CASERT and ELENA BECATOROS, Associated Press Writers Raf Casert And Elena Becatoros, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 36 mins ago
    BRUSSELS – The European Union put up a staggering $1 trillion Monday to contain its spreading government debt crisis and keep it from tearing the euro currency apart and derailing the global economic recovery.

Analysts said the huge sum supplied the "shock and awe" markets had been waiting for for weeks, at least in the short term, and the euro and stocks soared on the news.

European leaders negotiated into the early hours of Monday before reaching a deal in which governments that use the euro would join the EU and International Monetary Fund in putting up euro750 billion in loans available to prop up troubled governments.

The European Central bank will buy government and private debt to keep debt markets working and lower borrowing costs, a crisis measure dubbed the "nuclear option," while the U.S. Federal Reserve joined with other central banks in the effort, reactivating a currency swap program used during the earlier stages of the financial crisis to ship dollars overseas to be pumped into banking systems as short-term credit.

The overnight decision immediately jumpstarted markets worldwide. The euro immediately shot back to life and up to $1.30, recovering from Friday's 14-month low of $1.2523.

Stocks too basked in the glow. France's CAC-40 stood out in Europe, surging 285.08 points, or 8.4 percent, to 3,677.67. Athens' main index was up nearly 10 percent and Lisbon's PSI 20 jumped 9 percent too.

Japan's Nikkei 225 stock average rose 1.5 percent and Hong Kong's Hang Seng index added 1.3 percent. European markets jumped higher — major indexes were up more than 3 percent — and Wall Street was also expected to surge on the open, with Dow futures also 3.0 percent higher.

Officials acted after ominous slides in world stocks and the euro last week that raised fears that the debt crisis would spread from heavily indebted Greece to other financially weak countries such as Spain and Portugal. It reached the point where President Barack Obama discussed the crisis by phone with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Nicholas Sarkozy.

Policy makers worried it could shake the world economy the way the bankruptcy of U.S. investment bank Lehman Brothers did in 2008, making banks fearful of lending to businesses, hammering stocks and killing off economic recovery.

It also raised long-term worries that the crisis would force a weaker member such as Greece out of the euro.

Analysts said the measures had put out the fire for now by eliminating fears that governments would lack funds to pay off their debts. But several raised long-term worries about spreading debt of budget sinners to more responsible governments, and pointed to the lack of tough rules to keep debt from piling up again.

"It buys time. We don't know if it will be enough. They're trying to give the impression that they're still united. They've bought some breathing space but that's all," said Song Seng Wun, an economist with CIMB-GK Research in Singapore. "This perhaps just postpones the inevitable, the euro may have to ultimately give way, that's the worst case scenario."

Jeremy Batstone-Carr from Charles Stanley stockbrockers said the underlying problem won't be solved unless governments stop piling up so much debt. "The last thing you give a drunk is another drink," he said. "Put differently, you cannot make any nation that is unable to service its ac ulated debts more credit worthy by extending more credit."

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso promised tougher rules for member countries' spending.

On Wednesday, EU officials will propose tougher sanctions for financially wayward nations and more coordination between the governments on their economies. "We need stronger coordination, economic policy coordination," he said. It will be discussed by EU finance ministers next week.

Under Monday's three-year plan, the European Commission — the EU's governing body — will make euro60 billion ($75 billion) available while countries from the 16-nation eurozone would promise backing for euro440 billion ($570 billion). The IMF would contribute an additional sum of at least half of the EU's total contribution, or euro250 billion.

"We shall defend the euro whatever it takes," EU Commissioner Olli Rehn said after an 11 hour-meeting of EU finance ministers that capped a hectic week of chaotic sparring between panicked governments and aggressive markets.

Officials hope the massive sums will deter currency speculators from betting on a euro collapse after political posturing and soothing words failed to convince investors that Greece's financial implosion could be contained.

Markets had battered the euro and Greek government bonds even as EU leaders insisted for days that Greece's problems were a unique combination of bad management, free spending and statistical cheating that doesn't apply to other euro-zone nations.

Market jitters also partly contributed to a nearly 1,000-point drop in the Dow Jones industrials last Thursday. The Securities and Exchange Commission is meeting with heads of exchanges Monday to discuss how conflicting trading rules may have exacerbated the historic stock market plunge.

In the end, even longtime skeptic Germany realized Europe had to show the money after financial attacks on Greece's debt seemed poised to spread to other weak European nations such as Portugal and Spain. Fear of default led to investors demanding high interest rates that Greece could not pay, forcing it to seek a bailout. Many feared market skepticism would make Portugal and Spain pay more and more to borrow, worsening their plight.

Spain and Portugal have committed to "take significant additional consolidation measures in 2010 and 2011," a statement from EU finance ministers said. The two countries will present them to EU finance ministers at their meeting on May 18.

"We are facing such exceptional cir stances today and the mechanism will stay in place as long as needed to safeguard financial stability," the ministers said.

Merkel said her government would approve the rescue plan on Tuesday before parliament gave it "quick but thorough" consideration.

Separately, eurozone leaders on Saturday gave final approval for a euro80 billion ($100 billion) rescue package of loans to Greece for the next three years to stave off default. The IMF also approved its part of the rescue package — euro30 billion ($40 billion) of loans — on Sunday.

The Fed's move to back the euro defense plan reopens a program put in place during the 2008 global financial crisis under which dollars are shipped overseas through foreign central banks. In turn, these central banks can lend the dollars out to banks in their home countries that are in need of dollar funding in so-called swap agreements.

The Fed said action is being taken "in response to the reemergence of strains in U.S. dollar short-term funding markets in Europe" and to "prevent the spread of strains to other markets and financial centers." A "swap" line with the Bank of Canada provides up to $30 billion. Figures weren't provided for the other central banks involved. They include the Bank of England, the European Central Bank, the Swiss National Bank, and the Bank of Japan.

-----------------------------------------------

Now if they can just tackle the problem of tax evasion that so pervades Greek society that their government can't pay the bills...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Euros used an economic stimulus package - nice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Socializing risk in the Eurozone and currency swaps with North American and Japan cons ute stimulus how, Dan?
    Last edited by Winehole23; 05-10-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol our fiat currencies are so fukked.

But of course, that is the agenda.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US taxpayers could be on the hook for $50 billion or more as part of the European debt bailout, which is likely to be a close cousin to the strategy used to rescue the American financial system.

Determining the exact exposure at this point is nearly impossible until governments start stepping up to the window created by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund to stem the crisis in Greece and elsewhere on the continent.

But one rule-of-thumb formula puts potential US exposure at $54 billion should the entire IMF loan fund be tapped.

And that doesn't count the added exposure created by the Federal Reserve's decision over the weekend to participate in currency swaps to provide liquidity to jittery European banks. The swaps move resembles the Term Auction Facility the Fed ins uted when the worst of the US financial crisis hit in 2007-08.

And the entire bailout package has been nicknamed "Le Tarp" by some for its similarity to the Troubled Asset Relief Program that bailed out US companies with taxpayer-backed loans.
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/37084075

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 Billion to stem a crisis that would do far more than 50 billion to our economy is OK imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Europe isn't saved yet. Neither are we for that matter. Perhaps the day of reckoning has been kicked down the road a few years...

What the US and Europe have done -- essentially to pawn tomorrow's GDP to stem today's default -- may have temporarily averted catastrophe, but have left their balance sheets weaker, i.e., more debt-burdened and susceptible to future shocks. This won't end well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than doing nothing.....ask the GOP...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you know doing nothing would've been worse? If you don't allow values to correct, then add QE, counter-cyclical interest rates, plus a load of debt, you set yourself up for an even worse hangover later.

Blowing more asset bubbles isn't the cure -- it's the ing disease.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 05-12-2010 at 04:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany and France pulled Greece out of the bacon fire, but who's to say it won't be them next time? And if they melt down, who's to say we won't also?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The money bazooka was aimed at Greece, but we were also the beneficiaries. Does Europe have another one? Do we?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many money bazookas do we have? How many does Europe have?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way currency has been debased to meet the contingencies of transatlantic default is a public scandal and should be an outrage to anyone who depends on money to spend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To have it all crash down on our heads later will only be all the more painful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all the extra obligations, and what not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The business of America is making sure Goldman Sachs never goes out of business. That's for damn sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already pawned our future once, for ourselves. Now we have just pawned it again for Europe's sake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many more times will the world require us to pawn it, to stave off default and catastrophe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to be torn about it, but now I feel pretty sure it was a mistake to have saved ourselves even once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're just settin ourselves up for even worse down the road. The political will won't come around until we're completely ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until then, the government will with it to death.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have y'all heard we could lose our AAA rating?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (The recently announced criminal investigation of Moody's should put the damper on that, but it was scary for a second there.)

Thread Information