My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people."

meh. it's more of an annoyance than anything. at school i rip a flyer down atleast once a week that says "immigrants, rise up and fight the white oppression!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apparently mexicans do not need a class to learn about oppression. they are experiencing it first hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a shame that they sign a bill condemning something like that at the state level, though. wtf are they thinking?

mexican-americans have a cons utional right to say that they're oppressed, and i have a cons utional right to say "no youre not."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a shame that they sign a bill condemning something like that at the state level, though. wtf are they thinking?

they have a cons utional right to say that they're oppressed, and i have a cons utional right to say "no youre not."
    agreed, if that were the case. but this is just hyperbole that make the conservative voice come off as the propaganda machine with an agenda. i'd really like to know how it is he can substantiate the claim that the classes teach students that they are oppressed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he can't, really. i've taken an American literature class that the professor threw out the WASP syllabus and instead wanted us to read and debate minority literature. the whole class was basically an instruction on the "racial hierarchy." yeah there was a sense of white male guilt, but i thought the point of view being taught was fascinating. i enjoyed it. after reading the article, i assume the structure of the courses was similar to the one i took. i don't understand how it can uplift one race unless grade reports show that mexican-americans make substantially better grades than other ethnic groups in the classes or that the other ethnic groups were completely barred from taking the classes. other than that, it should be left to the school board and not the governor.

Thread Information